Oh, the winter olympics started?

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

bigbagrat

Forum Member
Feb 22, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
cbssportsline.com
Did I miss the thread on the complete rundown on the Olympics, or does anybody care?

The papers are full of Olympic coverage, TV coverage will no doubt be nuts, yet for some reason, I have lost all interest in the Olympics, both winter and summer. I can think of a few reasons off the top of my head............the "what the hell kind of sport is that" competition and the entrance of pro athletes, but in general I just don't care, period.

Ike Bomb

Forum Member
Jan 3, 2002
I hope they have Curling on TV this year! It would be so fun to get drunk and put on those slick shoes and slide down the floor, sweeping as you go.

:drinky:

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

jigs

Forum Member
Jul 18, 2000
The Olympics is what sports is all about. The thrill of victory and the agony of defeat.

bigbagrat

Forum Member
Feb 22, 2001
Phoenix, AZ
cbssportsline.com
Sorry, guys, but as one of the older guys, I do know what the Olympics and sport is all about. It was about amateur athletes working their butts off while attending school for a shot at history. Many former Olympic athletes never made it to the pros, didn't care to and never regretted it.

The Olympics used to be about participation for the enjoyment and competition of the sport; corny, but true. Now it is all about winning at any cost. The kids that worked hard are pushed aside so multi-million dollar professional athletes can complain about the hassle of having to march in BOTH the opening AND closing ceremonies and live outside the Olympic Village because the dorms are not up to their standards. So much for camaraderie and world unification.

Now, THAT is sad................

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

hellah10

WOOFJUICE
Forum Member
Oct 24, 2001
Toledo
Curling is the shit...I can watch that all day...I have no idea way, but I just can. I dont even know the rules to it.....speed skating is pretty cool too.

SmashMouth

Forum Member
Oct 12, 2001
Long Branch Nj
I like the Olympics summer is alright winter rocks. I agree there should be no professionals in it. we proved we could win with our pro's after years of getting our asses kicked by other countries pro's. The dream team is a joke. Hockey should be amateurs too. These pro's don't even appreciate what it is all about.

dr. freeze

BIG12 KING
Forum Member
Aug 25, 2001
Mansion
as Salt Lake City and the IOC showed, olympics are about greed, prositution, and bribery.......

we are spending 750,000$ per athlete to fund these olympics......unbelievable......at the same time, we have people going hungry on the street.....not proposing that the money should go to welfare, but maybe just maybe it could be saved and not taxed so people could actually afford to give to charity.......charities that are effective -- of which there are many but underfunded.......

we have more troops at the games than we do in afghanistan hunting for Bin Laden.......the beginnings of a police state.....

thousands of tickets remain unsold and thousand of hotel rooms in Salt Lake are vacant

as posts already mentioned, there are so many sports that are dreamt up, I am surprised that we haven't added "who can sit on the ice the longest with their bare ass" and give that guy "the gold".....i am hoping to see the "three legged race" and "tug of war" in the next summer games......maybe the "potato sack race" will be a big draw.....how about the "egg toss"?.......just think of the storylines, the drama, -- heck....think of Bill Walton announcing to us one of the "epic" pie-eating contests in the "history of the game"....

amateur sports? lol......every "sport" is amateur in these games except where there are actually markets for pro sports.......(I tend to think of most of these "sports" as either performances or contests)

olympics is just a big farce and very few care about it.....a big money drain......

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

in2fitness

Forum Member
Nov 28, 2001
Atlanta, GA
I'm with ya SmashMouth...Winter Olympics do ROCK! I agree with eveyone about letting professionals play, bad move on their part, but hopefully it will change back to amateurs only in bball & hockey again someday. I am looking forward to the Luge, Bobsled, Skeleton, Ski Jumping, and Snowboarding. I only wish that I could make it out there to the games.

Ike Bomb

Forum Member
Jan 3, 2002
Curling is awesome, we should have professional curling leagues.

Sweep! Sweep!

:drinky: :drinky: :drinky:

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Ike Bomb

Forum Member
Jan 3, 2002
Poetry in motion

Poetry in motion

I hope everyone here got a chance to see some Curling yesterday, it was on CNBC last night. I tell you, it brings a tear to my eye to see such a cool sport.

Or, maybe it's just the fact that any of us could replace a member of a curling team and no one would be the wiser.

Drink it up, and Curl it!

:drinky: :drinky: :drinky:

Blitz

Hopeful
Forum Member
Jan 6, 2002
North of Titletown AKA Boston
Last week I heard a guy on the radio who is trying to get Bridge into the Olympics.... A F@#$ing card game!! What is next Jacks? Give the Olympics back to the amateurs. Would the USA winning hockey ever feel as good as in 1980 with the pro's... I think not.