Old School

kneifl

Forum Member
Jan 12, 2001
Virginia
www.tradewithjon.com
Did this yesterday, initially, there was a bunch of crap there that was overgrown I got rid of with chainsaw and stump grinder. Then it was dirt (3rd pic). Looks much better IMO.

front1.jpg front2.jpg IMG_1942.JPG

kneifl

Old School

OVR
Forum Member
Mar 19, 2006
x10:

COUPLE TIPS..

...don't be afraid to give new plants extra spacing

nothing looks worse than a jumbled over-crowded bed..

w/spacing in mind...where you know you are going to have to do leaf cleanup in the fall add even a little more space for ease of blowing clean..a small hand held Echo or the like is good in these smaller beds especially using rock in the beds...ya ain't raking them clean so just a little heads up.

real clean work...

HARD WORK....IT STOPS A LOT OF BULL SHIT BEFORE IT STARTS.;)

kneifl

Forum Member
Jan 12, 2001
Virginia
www.tradewithjon.com
x10:

COUPLE TIPS..

w/spacing in mind...where you know you are going to have to do leaf cleanup in the fall add even a little more space for ease of blowing clean..a small hand held Echo or the like is good in these smaller beds especially using rock in the beds...ya ain't raking them clean so just a little heads up.

real clean work...

Sounds great, very useful tips. I plan on doing more soon, but for the most part I like the way this turned out. I think the plants will grow soon so it doesn't look like there is so much unused space.

I'll probably end up doing a lot of landscaping in the back over time as well.

Cheers,

kneifl

fatdaddycool

Chi-TownHustler
Forum Member
Mar 26, 2001
Fort Worth TX usa
Looks good Jon.
Looks like you took your time and put some solid effort into it. Right on brother.

Old School,
You're always an awesome help on here my friend. I love ya man. You're positive and helpful attitude is inspiring man. I'm proud to have you as a friend sir. Just sayin.

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
x10:

COUPLE TIPS..

real clean work...

I made this mistake trying to get an area to look good in the moment but not thinking the long game......I`m going to have to pull a few things next spring...it still looks "neat" but it`s heading toward being overcrowded.......

I hope you put down some weed-block,kniefl(I put down some 2-3" round creek stones under my diverters trying to be cute and even with weed-block,i`m starting to see some stragglers)........grass growing up between those clean stones could become a pain...

good job,dude........

Old School

OVR
Forum Member
Mar 19, 2006
Looks good Jon.
Looks like you took your time and put some solid effort into it. Right on brother.

Old School,
You're always an awesome help on here my friend. I love ya man. You're positive and helpful attitude is inspiring man. I'm proud to have you as a friend sir. Just sayin.

Thanks my friend...

just doing what's right..

kneifl

Forum Member
Jan 12, 2001
Virginia
www.tradewithjon.com
Thanks for all the nice answers and advice

Thanks for all the nice answers and advice

As for it getting dirty with leaves, I do have a non-corded batty operated blower and it's a beast so I think it will get the job done.

I watched youtube videos before I started the project and picked up the supplies at home depot. Almost went through a pallet of river rock which I thought was surprising. Got the outer edge area, which came packaged and looked like a circle with 4-5 inch spikes and a roll of 60 ft vinyl/plastic like covering that I overlapped because I had excess.

The plants were all perennials which were picked out by my wife.

Didn't put any weed stuff down on the soil, but it is well packed. If we get weeds, I think they'll be near the flowers and azaleas and easy to pick.

I plan on having these here for a while and they'll be well taken care of. Again, thanks for the nice words and help.

kneifl

Old School

OVR
Forum Member
Mar 19, 2006
if you are going to use rock in the future find the local quarry or stone house that will let you pick up..

will save ya big bucks..

example..River Rock should cost ya about 20 bucks a ton at the most..

you can use Preen in the beds or one of the other pre-emergent ..

keep up the super work..

Bet on MyBookie