OLE MISS -4 at SOUTH CAROLINA

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

anjac

Forum Member
Aug 31, 2004
When Ole Miss, a team that has never played for the SEC Championship, takes the field tonight at South Carolina they will be led by Jevan Snead. This young man is being touted by sportscasters around the country as being a potential star in the massive world of college football. That is a true compliment, when you consider all the very talented QBs leading this years college football teams throughout the nation. He is joined by a supporting cast that includes rushers Brandon Bolden, Cordera Eason, Enrique Davis and RB/WR Dexter McCluster. Ole Miss has a very good group of WRs and TEs which includes Shay Hodge, Markieth Summers, Lionel Breaux and Gerald Harris. This team has been groomed as the dark horse sleeper team of 2009, and deservedly so. They run a power I and a 4-3 defense that only allowed 85 rushing yards per game last season.
South Carolina has its potential stars also, but just not quite as many. Stephen Garcia, the SC QB, has certainly surprised many with his play this season. Many sceptics said he would be a toss up to survive. He was 31 of 53 for 313 yards, 2 TDs, and 1 INT at Georgia two weeks ago.....and Georgia ain't no slouch. So much for the sceptics. The Gamecocks led Georgia in 1st downs 26-16, rushing yards 114-107 and, as mentioned, passing yards 313-201. SC was intercepted once , as was Georgia, but the Bulldogs had 2 fumbles. The standout players so far this year have been RBs Brian Maddox and Jarvis Giles, with Jason Barnes, Tori Gurley, Moe Brown and Weslye Saunders being primary receivers.
Mississippi hasn't actually been tested so far in wins at Memphis 45-14 and at home vs SE Louisiana, an easy 52-6 victory. This week they get that test. I am very impressed with the play of SCs Stephen Garcia. He can't do it alone, but with some help I look for South Carolina to keep this game close. If they can, this will be one heck of a game. This is a very tough ball game to make a prediction for, but I will go out on a limb, expecting SC to cover the spread. But the best bet is the over. There is a distinct possibility that this contest could be a shootout. There, I guess I've committed myself.

"Everybody plays the fool, sometimes....there's no exception to the rule."