One play today...

Glenn Quagmire

Forum Member
Nov 15, 2005
Giants -1 (-110)

I rarely post baseball plays but I think this one has a great chance of winning. Here are my reasons why...

1) This is just a huge pitching mismatch. Schmidt should have no problem at all quieting the M's bats. Even though they have been hitting better of late they're still not a very good hitting team. Meche, on the other hand, is a guy who can make you some good money if you fade him regularly. I'm not at all crazy about the Punch-and-Judy lineup of the Giants but they should be able to get guys on base and manufacture runs. At least that's one good thing about NL teams!

2) Meche was supposed to pitch yesterday but got pushed back a day because of a sore back. So he's now pitching on 5 days rest instead of 4, and he's not 100%. I wouldn't expect a great start from him anyway, but now I REALLY don't expect a great start from him. He doesn't have great control either (37 walks in 76 innings), and I'm guessing it might be even worse today if his back is bothering him.

3) Schmidt hasn't pitched against most of the M's, but check out the numbers on the ones he has:

Beltre - 5 for 38
Everett - 4 for 21
Sexson - 2 for 12
Ibanez - 0 for 3

The last thing I will add is that Gil does pitch much better at home. He's 4-2 with a 2.70 ERA and a .206 BAA. Because of that I won't be backing up the truck on this one, but I feel very strongly that the Giants will win today.

Good luck to alll...

Glenn Quagmire

Forum Member
Nov 15, 2005
No problem bryanz. Unfortunately it looks like Schmidt decided to take the day off. This is why I don't play many baseball games. I try to find favorable spots and use logic but it just doesn't seem to work. Maybe I should have suspected something when the line was only -140. I thought it would be about -165. Sorry to anyone who tailed this play...

Glenn Quagmire

Forum Member
Nov 15, 2005
brooklynkid said:
So bad is Meche's back...he's pitching a one hitter through 5....just kidding... lol
I'm on SF too.....

No worries. I'm just as disgusted as you are. I live in Seattle so I see this guy pitch all the time. He was a #1 draft pick but he never really turned into much. Occasionally he will pitch a really good game but for the most part he's a gascan. Especially on the road. As for the injury, the local paper made it sound like he was in quite a bit of pain. It sounded like he might even miss this start completely. A hurting Meche against a healthy Schmidt. Thought it would be easy. Obviously not...

brooklynkid

Houston Alum
Forum Member
Apr 1, 2006
So. California
I remember when he came up...I had him on my fantasy team for a few years..oh well you're right about one thing SF wins 9 out of 10 in this situation BUT remember the Yanks/Wash game earlier ...you never know..

Ronnie

Forum Member
Oct 16, 2000
At the bar
Glenn, am I reading this right? Meche has a one hitter through six? Damn, I'm pulling for a big Giants comeback for ya.

Glenn Quagmire

Forum Member
Nov 15, 2005
brooklynkid said:
I remember when he came up...I had him on my fantasy team for a few years..oh well you're right about one thing SF wins 9 out of 10 in this situation BUT remember the Yanks/Wash game earlier ...you never know..

Yeah, both Meche and Piniero were supposed to be studs. Along with about 6 or 7 other guys that never panned out either. And you're absolutely right, there is no such thing as a lock or a sure thing. The way I handicap baseball is that I try to find favorable spots, games that I think more often will be winners than losers, and play them. Unfortunately, like you said, anything can happen. This year I'm not having a lot of success because bullpens have been so bad and managers make some shockingly bad decisions. That's why I haven't played many games this year. Good luck from here on out...

Glenn Quagmire

Forum Member
Nov 15, 2005
Ronnie said:
Glenn, am I reading this right? Meche has a one hitter through six? Damn, I'm pulling for a big Giants comeback for ya.

:mj07: Yeah, Cy Meche is in rare form today. I would like to blame a lot of it on the weak Giants lineup, but honestly he is pitching well. I may have to stop fading him at home. For some reason he pitches pretty well here, and he's awful on the road.

Now Alou just destroyed a pitch but hit it to dead center, where you have to hit a ball 500 feet to hit a HR. Anyway, not a big deal. It wasn't a huge bet for me. The Nats comeback pretty much counteracts this losing bet. Thanks for the well wishes though!

brooklynkid

Houston Alum
Forum Member
Apr 1, 2006
So. California
This year I'm not having a lot of success because bullpens have been so bad and managers make some shockingly bad decisions. That's why I haven't played many games this year. Good luck from here on out...[/QUOTE]

That's an understatement......

Glenn Quagmire

Forum Member
Nov 15, 2005
Jesus... I just realized Brandon "Fade Me Please" Lane was on the Giants today. Sonnuvabiscuiteater. I would have bought back my bet if I had seen that. Arguably one of the worst "professional" handicappers out there.

bryanz

Forum Member
Aug 8, 2001
Syracuse ny, usa
went with seatt, just a feeling, posted it in the dog thread. Many times you have to weed threw the injury reports, was wade hurt the other day because he took a practice off ?

Glenn Quagmire

Forum Member
Nov 15, 2005
bryanz,

The sore back wasn't really all that much of a deciding factor in whether or not I was going to bet against the M's in that spot. Meche could have been 100% and I would have taken the Giants. I was only saying that the fact his back was bothering him and that he wasn't pitching on normal rest seemed to be a negative for the M's. He pitched a gem. What can you do?

As for Wade... I don't buy for a second that he's all that injured. I think 1) It's a good marketing ploy to try and lull Dallas into a false sense of security and 2) Wade is one of the biggest gloryhounds in the NBA. He's a great player no doubt, but he's very Jordanesque in that he tries to get as much as attention as he possibly can.

Bet on MyBookie