open question TIA

frend30

Forum Member
Nov 26, 2006
I'm wondering if kenpom dot com site is useful for cbb capping?
I never used it ... (yes, breakfast money but too much data can works contrary to what would you want)
any suggestions, opinions?
I'll be grateful
Thanks in advance

Box and one

Forum Member
Feb 26, 2000
Hudson Valley area.....NY
frend30 from a statistical breakdown it is very helpful. Almost every team players stats ,box scores team predictions or power rankings etc team history , game by game ,conf stats ,home court,etc,etc But I don't know what there record is in predicting. Over 55% or under
Basketball sometimes gets to analytical and sometimes with only 5 players on the court and foul trouble involved it throws many of those stats out the window.
My philosophy is sometimes in a Walt Whitman poem .. the poem is from his " Leaves of Grass " book
. The poem is called " the Learned Astronomer" .. maybe you can paste it here. Its a short poem . when you read poetry its hard to understand what the poet is saying . If I don't know before hand what the poem and meaning is I'm lost. Emily Dickinson wrote so many poems and I couldn't figure out what she was trying to say . I knew "love " was her theme Walt was a different type of poet . But the Learned Astronomer hits home especially coaching basketball.. for 30 years .. Read the poem. Its about Walt listening in the audience to a world renown astronomer at a lecture . He gets bored and at some point leaves the lecture room and walks out on a balcony and looks up into the " mystical " beautiful sky full of stars. Forget all the charts and diagrams that the lecturer described .
I was coaching against a big time school that was 18-1 . Their coach who is in the NY State Hall of fame ran a 1-3-1 zone defense . The best possible zone . That's all he ran similar to Cuses Boehem's 2-3 zone. We knew he played it but still couldn't beat it. I'm down 1 point with the ball at mid court and use my last time out. I design a play " with charts and diagrams " like Whitman heard.. And then just before we break from the huddle my star player who was going to be a decoy on the last play said in the huddle. Coach get me the ball on the wing. I will beat my man at the wing,can get by their center and since I have such a height advantage over their 1 baseline defender. As we are breaking our huddle I give in and scratch the play and yell " get to ball to Scottie and let him go by himself. I yell to Scottie "no offensive foul " Well we inbound the ball,Scottie wind shield wipes the wing,drives by the center and glass swishes a layup at the buzzer. We win.. thank to Walt Whitman . Sometimes we over coach. I had the best 6'6 gd,fd center in the state of NY He avg almost 30 points a a game and I'm using him as a decoy.
Sometimes we use the ken poms and many other places reading into so many stats ,history and figures . and sometimes the game of basketball is like Poetry in motion . Think Ken pom and many others help in capping. But sometimes the charts and diagrams are like what Whitman heard that night at the lecture.
good luck this year. think this post probably made no sense my bad

Box and one

Forum Member
Feb 26, 2000
Hudson Valley area.....NY
and to follow up on that story about a month later we are the section champions in the ny state championships we beat the Long Island section champion in Westchester and now play one game to make the final 4. The game is in Plattsburgh NY way upstate. We get up there a day early and tour the Air Force base and that night go to a down town movie theater and see a new movie out. " Hoosiers "
the theater is an old movie theater with a balcony.. Our team sits up there and another team from my section in another class sit down stairs Out 2 teams are the only people in the movie theater.. the scene where Gene hackman the coach draws a play for Chitwood on a final play of the game and uses him as a decoy. Then Chitwood says something like " coach just get me the ball". Gene Hackman changes the play and Chitwood hits a jumper to win the game. After that scene I hear Scottie yell out loud sitting 3 rows in front of me " I made a layup on that play. " My team all laughed out loud in the movie theater . When Hoosier s was over the coach of our fellow team watching the movie down stairs said " you guys sure were making a lot of noise up there. " I told them they were just responding to the ending of the movie because there was a similar scene a few weeks before our game vs OHS Thank god the movie came out after our game because most of my players would of thought I just copied the movie.
We won our next game and made the final 4, We won the 1st game in the final 4 and knocked off the past state champion but the other team " boxed and one " us and we lost by 9 in the State final game . Scott broke 7 records in Glen Falls the following week and had 44 and 41 points and FG% was unreal . He missed 6 shots in 2 games Adonal Foyle of the NBA Kings broke his record a few years later. Scott played juco in Kansas and played D-1 at St Peters.
He died 2 years ago of prostrate cancer and last year before I moved down here to austin met his wife and Scottie's son and delivered his trophies ,uniforms game videos etc

frend30

Forum Member
Nov 26, 2006
@ Box and one

Thank You!

:0008

Very good post and helpful
It is hard work to predict games in the long run. Sometimes if some game is too obvious best choice is to play opposite

Have a nice and prosperous cbb capping season! (as always :0074 )

Bet on MyBookie