Aug 6, 2006
Orlando
pinnacleda6.jpg

:shrug:

snoozer

Forum Member
Aug 5, 2004
Berkley, MI
Pulled this from a news article, take it for what it is worth. It was written by a guy who call himself the poker professor (I don't think it is lederer)...

The state of poker is changing by the minute. The over/under on the 2007 WSOP Main Event was floating between 9 and 10K before the Frist bill passed and now the number has dropped to about half of that. Once the bill is signed into law the number will certainly drop even more. By next May the WSOP may be nothing more than a narrow niche shadow of its' former self. I predict a much smaller crowd. This also means the WSOP Life Styles Exhibition will most certainly be gone since most of the paid exhibitors were online poker.net/com sites. Talk here in Las Vegas among some of the long time poker industry people says the current happenings will return the 2007 WSOP to a time when it was more poker tournament and less crap shoot and that might not be so bad, especially for the professionals.

SixFive

bonswa
Forum Member
Mar 12, 2001
BG, KY, USA
there certainly won't be the absurd amount of luckboxes that qualified online if the state of online poker playing goes as predicted. Gonna have to be a real player to pony up 10K!!

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

SpursDynasty

Forum Member
Oct 29, 2005
Long Beach, California
If this law holds, u will see the numbers at wsop back at the 4500 range imo. Time will tell. It is gonna hurt vegas as well as many others. Very bad decision for the US by the republicans.

I wouldve thought this helps Vegas in the whole scheme of things. More tourism involved (as if it needs more) with people scared to play online now.

ImFeklhr

Raconteur
Forum Member
Oct 3, 2005
San Francisco
I think it is very bad for Vegas. They might get some extra business, from people who would go there anyway.

But, online gambling was an introduction to gambling for a lot of people, and basically served as free promotion for Vegas (WSOP etc.)

Even competition can be good for business, if it promotes the overall industry.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

BleedDodgerBlue

Admin
Forum Member
Feb 12, 2004
los angeles
Vegas makes chit off poker. They hate it. They would much rather have slots or table games than spread poker. Their rake is NOTHING compared to what the other gaming activities bring. They spread it to appease some people and hope those people have leaks (bj or craps) problems.

Vegas would just as soon be rid of poker. They don't want it, but have to have it.

and countinguy, i agree with you 100 percent, but i think 4500 is even too high. people played satellites online for the most part. i would guess way under if online poker goes belly up.

gl

smurphy

cartographer
Channel Member
Jul 31, 2004
L.A.
Vegas makes chit off poker. They hate it. They would much rather have slots or table games than spread poker. Their rake is NOTHING compared to what the other gaming activities bring. They spread it to appease some people and hope those people have leaks (bj or craps) problems.

Vegas would just as soon be rid of poker. They don't want it, but have to have it.

gl

I agree that Vegas doesn't make much from poker. It took them forever to finally start building decent poker rooms to cater to the popularity of it.

But I totally agree with Imfekhler that Vegas prospers from online poker. It does get more people into gambling and eventually to Vegas. Very few poker players in Vegas only play poker. They'll sample the machines, tables, and certianly the sport books. Plus, they gotta eat, sleep, and get lap dances.

Vegas will surely be hurt by the bill.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg