Pac 10....Preseason Steele vs Lindy's

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Dice34

Off parole
Forum Member
Dec 18, 2004
D.O.C.
I'm bored and love college football.....
..Lindy's has California 2nd in the pac 10.....Steele has them 5th behind oregon 18th (who was 47 from Lindy's), UCLA Arizona State.......

Lindy's(#-national rank)
1.USC
12.California
22.UCLA
30.Arizona State
32.Oregon State
46.Arizona
47.Oregon
66.Washington
71.Wash. St.
79.Stanford

Steele(only top 50)
1.USC
18.Oregon
21.UCLA
26.Arizona State
28.California
39.Oregon State

Steele has love for the Oregon Ducks, who has a man child running the ball, Jonathan Stewart (JR.) 5'11,230,4.4(pre-season 2nd team, Steele)...if he can stay healthy, he'll have a huge year....both sides of the ball have 7 starters returning....I just don't understand the huge difference between rankings......they travel to Michigan and UCLA, and have USC and Cal come to them..

Cal is loaded on Offense, even with the loss of Lynch....Justin Forsett will take over with 2 talented freshman to back him up....Longshore with a year under his belt will have all his top receivers back....Desean Jackson, Robert Jordan and Lavelle Hawkins along with SR. TE Craig Stevens......they will need to score in bunches as they lost 6 starters on D...they have a rematch with Tennessee week 1, which i think they return the favor this year

UCLA can make some serious noise in the Pac 10 with 10 starters on D and 10 starters on O coming back, they also have 2 QB's they can win with in Ben Olson and patrick Cowan who led the victory over USC with his legs. The D will be the focal point of this team and should start out the season 5-0 before getting a visit from Notre Dame

Arizona State is another team with a loaded offense, 10 starters return, along with QB Rudy Carpenter who many dont know, played with a broken hand most of the season, the pressure is off him as the Sam Keller and Dirk Koetter debacle is a year removed....Just feed the ball to RB Ryan Torain who also made Steele's 2nd team O or Keegan Heering....Dennis Erickson should have fun with this talent. The potential is there to start out 7-0 before running the 5 game gauntlet of Cal, Oregon, UCLA, USC and Arizona

Arizona is my sleeper in that conference, with their new spread attack that will mirror the Texas Tech Offense...QB Willie Tuitama will not be running for his life anymore has he will be asked to pass from the shotgun and get rid of the ball in under 3 seconds...if they are successful in their new offense, lookout as they potentially have one of the best defensive units in the pac 10 returning 10 starters.....I really like this team....last year they were still a .500 ball club only scoring 16.9 pts a game....with the new offensive scheme its not far fetched that this team could increase their per game scoring by a td.....atleast an 8-4 team this year......

well thats it for now
should clarify these are my views, not steele or lindy

AR182

Forum Member
Nov 9, 2000
Scottsdale,AZ
Arizona is my sleeper in that conference, with their new spread attack that will mirror the Texas Tech Offense...QB Willie Tuitama will not be running for his life anymore has he will be asked to pass from the shotgun and get rid of the ball in under 3 seconds...if they are successful in their new offense, lookout as they potentially have one of the best defensive units in the pac 10 returning 10 starters.....I really like this team....last year they were still a .500 ball club only scoring 16.9 pts a game....with the new offensive scheme its not far fetched that this team could increase their per game scoring by a td.....atleast an 8-4 team this year......

no offense intended dice but people have been picking arizona as their surprise team of the year for past few years...sooner or later somebody is going to right....:142smilie

however as you mentioned they are going to a new offense this year & it usually takes awhile for teams to learn a new system...

thanks for your post & look forward to your insight this year....

good luck.

Last edited:

Dice34

Off parole
Forum Member
Dec 18, 2004
D.O.C.
no offense intended dice but people have been picking arizona as their surprise team of the year for past few years...sooner or later somebody is going to right....:142smilie

however as you mentioned they are going to a new offense this year & it usually takes awhile for teams to learn a new system...

thanks for your post & look forward to your insight this year....

good luck.

yeah i hear ya, but theres alot to like about this team...getting this system to flow will take some time, but they have a solid defense that will keep them close regardless....I'm not saying they will put up texas tech numbers in year one but the program is heading in the right step.....this team will reach a bowl game this year if Willie stays healthy, they closed the season strong last year winning 3 out of their last 4...Wash St, Cal and Oregon....8-4 is realistic

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

mcity

Forum Member
Jan 18, 2002
Among Libtards!!
I'm very interested to see what the line is for the season opener.....I'm thinking of laying large on Ga Tech. I haven't done a lot of research on Tech yet, but I think they return something like 9 starters from a very good defense....couple that with ND starting a very inexperienced QB, RB, and wideouts along with countless other positions and I can easily see John Tenuta and his "D" giving ND a whole lot of problems. Going to have to see what Tech is bringing back on offense.....I know they lose Johnson and QB Ball (which may be a good thing)....if they can produce any "O" at all, I think ND may be in trouble for the season opener in South Bend.

I don't know how this got here Jack.....or IE.....thought I was posting in the Phil Steele's preseason top 50 thread which took on a Notre Dame discussion.....so if could be moved, that would be great.....if not, sorry to clog up a pac-10 thread with ND stuff.

Last edited:

Dice34

Off parole
Forum Member
Dec 18, 2004
D.O.C.
I'm very interested to see what the line is for the season opener.....I'm thinking of laying large on Ga Tech. I haven't done a lot of research on Tech yet, but I think they return something like 9 starters from a very good defense....couple that with ND starting a very inexperienced QB, RB, and wideouts along with countless other positions and I can easily see John Tenuta and his "D" giving ND a whole lot of problems. Going to have to see what Tech is bringing back on offense.....I know they lose Johnson and QB Ball (which may be a good thing)....if they can produce any "O" at all, I think ND may be in trouble for the season opener in South Bend.

I don't know how this got here Jack.....or IE.....thought I was posting in the Phil Steele's preseason top 50 thread which took on a Notre Dame discussion.....so if could be moved, that would be great.....if not, sorry to clog up a pac-10 thread with ND stuff.

no worries mcity, not many people in here.....

lets break down some ga tech -nd stuff

Ga Tech returns 7 starters on O and 8 on Defense
-Taylor Bennett will take over at QB...JR. 6'3 215, he was 35 for 58...60.3% 523yds 5td and 2int last year....if he were to sustain those avg's he'll blow Reggie Ball's eratic play out of the water

-ND has a 3 way race for their QB position.....

-GaTech Oline has only lost their RT, so the line play should improve from last year, which might improve last seasons ACC rushing leader #'s Tashard Choice who quietly rushed for 1473 yds and 12 tds

-Losing CJ is a big blow.....James Johnson will have to step up as the #1 WR and their is potential with Demaryius Thomas redshirt freshman 6'3 220....but not alot of experience at this postion.....

-GaTech has 7 of top 8 defensive linemen returning, 5 of the top 6 LB's returning and 7 of the top 8 DB's back....defense should be strong

also Gtech has won its road opener in each of the last 3 seasons all vs ranked teams

Notre Dame returns 4 starters on O and 5 on D

mcity

Forum Member
Jan 18, 2002
Among Libtards!!
great info. dice. Am I mistaken in the fact that I thought this new QB for Tech played a lot in their bowl game last year....and played damn good? I am of the belief, that if Tech gets any type of offensive consistency/performance from him and someone steps up at wideout, this team could be a beast given their defensive experience and coaching. It will be very interesting to see where this line opens.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Dice34

Off parole
Forum Member
Dec 18, 2004
D.O.C.
great info. dice. Am I mistaken in the fact that I thought this new QB for Tech played a lot in their bowl game last year....and played damn good? I am of the belief, that if Tech gets any type of offensive consistency/performance from him and someone steps up at wideout, this team could be a beast given their defensive experience and coaching. It will be very interesting to see where this line opens.

you are not mistaken....Ball was inelgible for the Bowl game and Bennet was 19 of 29 for 326 yds and 3 tds vs West Virginia......

looks like GaTech will also use Rashaun Grant to run the ball and flares out of the backfield, he's also a senior, as they said he's shown in spring ball hes more ready than ever and could blossom.......

new o coordinator is John Bond from Northern Illinois.....I'm sure he can get the most out of his backs.......

as for the line.....hmm.....its hard to see them making GaTech a fav on the road week 1.........i 'd have to say that line would be almost a pick

mcity

Forum Member
Jan 18, 2002
Among Libtards!!
you are not mistaken....Ball was inelgible for the Bowl game and Bennet was 19 of 29 for 326 yds and 3 tds vs West Virginia......

looks like GaTech will also use Rashaun Grant to run the ball and flares out of the backfield, he's also a senior, as they said he's shown in spring ball hes more ready than ever and could blossom.......

new o coordinator is John Bond from Northern Illinois.....I'm sure he can get the most out of his backs.......

as for the line.....hmm.....its hard to see them making GaTech a fav on the road week 1.........i 'd have to say that line would be almost a pick

that is what I'm hoping and thinking......given the fact that ND is week in and week out a public darling, I could see them opening as a small chalk which to me in this case would be crazy. Guess we just sit back and wait to see how vegas is looking at this one. thanks for the info. again.

jharris

Forum Member
Aug 23, 2005
Hey guys - good to see a few football threads. Haven't been in a while but the season is just around the corner. I hear, being an ACC guy myself, that the freshman from GT is the second coming of C. Johnson. You know heresay is, but he evidently has been turning heads. Dice, I will look forward to your Pac10 insight.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Dice34

Off parole
Forum Member
Dec 18, 2004
D.O.C.
Hey guys - good to see a few football threads. Haven't been in a while but the season is just around the corner. I hear, being an ACC guy myself, that the freshman from GT is the second coming of C. Johnson. You know heresay is, but he evidently has been turning heads. Dice, I will look forward to your Pac10 insight.

I could talk college football all year long......I'm actually more of a Big 10 guy...but overall I follow mostly all the BCS teams.....with a few non-bcs....

What about your squad Clemson...boasting one of the top pair of RBs in the country.....Davis and Spiller...i love spiller just wish he could hold onto the ball.....whats the latest on the QB battle down there? IS Harper gonna be the starter? Anything on how Korn performed?

Dr. Fade

Colllector
Forum Member
Sep 29, 2005
Kansas City
Arizona is definitely underrated. I'm not sure what their Non-Con looks like, but they have the best D in the PAC-10. Phil Steele is nothing more tnan a tout.

Dice34

Off parole
Forum Member
Dec 18, 2004
D.O.C.
Arizona is definitely underrated. I'm not sure what their Non-Con looks like, but they have the best D in the PAC-10. Phil Steele is nothing more tnan a tout.

its hard to underrate a team who has won 28 of their last 80 games...dont get me wrong i think they can win 8 games this year.....

steele a tout? maybe....but him and his staff put together one of the best college preview mags out there

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

jharris

Forum Member
Aug 23, 2005
Hey Dice -

Sorry about not replying sooner. As far as Clemson is concerned I'm not real sure. I think they should be OK if they get something out of the QB position and the O-line.

With only 4 returning starters on offense, one on the O-line (LT) somebody will have step up. The line has some experience but how fast they gel will be key. With the way VT exposed our weakness last year Clemson come out and prove they can throw the ball and protect the QB.

The QB situation is one that I really say either way. Both Cullen Harper and Willy Korn had decent spring - neither one did anything to really distant themselves from the other. My question is why Bowden didn't play Harper last year when Will Proctor was struggling. I think he played about 70 plays last year in "mop up" duty. If he was any good he should have played last year in some spots. My feeling is Korn will be playing some early against La. Monroe and Furman (2nd & 3rd games) and most likely be starting by the 6th or 7th game. The kid has got some talent and is smart (4.0 gpa first semester). WR postion looks pretty shitty from where i am sitting. Lots of ???????

Spiller and Davis are the real deal but if the line can't block and/or we have trouble throwing even they will have some tough times.

I think the defense will be very good. Ricky Sapp will replace Adams, and I'm not sure that he may a better all around player than Gaines. CB position is young but I think they will get better as the season progresses. LB is solid.

Kicking game is big effing ?. Some clown from the soccer team will be the PK and a walk on will punt. Probably cost us a game or two.

Coaching - where do I start? I like Bowden and I have backed him thru thick and thin, but I'm starting to wonder if he can take us to the "next level". I could spent two days writing about him highs and lows so I'll leave it as - He had better win at LEAST 8 games or boosters will be calling for his head.

I think the betting lines will favor Clemson's side early b/c I think they are a little better than the public perceives. I predict an 8-4 season and possibly 9-3 if they can get a few breaks.

Good luck this season!

Dice34

Off parole
Forum Member
Dec 18, 2004
D.O.C.
Hey Dice -

Sorry about not replying sooner. As far as Clemson is concerned I'm not real sure. I think they should be OK if they get something out of the QB position and the O-line.

With only 4 returning starters on offense, one on the O-line (LT) somebody will have step up. The line has some experience but how fast they gel will be key. With the way VT exposed our weakness last year Clemson come out and prove they can throw the ball and protect the QB.

The QB situation is one that I really say either way. Both Cullen Harper and Willy Korn had decent spring - neither one did anything to really distant themselves from the other. My question is why Bowden didn't play Harper last year when Will Proctor was struggling. I think he played about 70 plays last year in "mop up" duty. If he was any good he should have played last year in some spots. My feeling is Korn will be playing some early against La. Monroe and Furman (2nd & 3rd games) and most likely be starting by the 6th or 7th game. The kid has got some talent and is smart (4.0 gpa first semester). WR postion looks pretty shitty from where i am sitting. Lots of ???????

Spiller and Davis are the real deal but if the line can't block and/or we have trouble throwing even they will have some tough times.

I think the defense will be very good. Ricky Sapp will replace Adams, and I'm not sure that he may a better all around player than Gaines. CB position is young but I think they will get better as the season progresses. LB is solid.

Kicking game is big effing ?. Some clown from the soccer team will be the PK and a walk on will punt. Probably cost us a game or two.

Coaching - where do I start? I like Bowden and I have backed him thru thick and thin, but I'm starting to wonder if he can take us to the "next level". I could spent two days writing about him highs and lows so I'll leave it as - He had better win at LEAST 8 games or boosters will be calling for his head.

I think the betting lines will favor Clemson's side early b/c I think they are a little better than the public perceives. I predict an 8-4 season and possibly 9-3 if they can get a few breaks.

Good luck this season!

good stuff jharris.....i think you are right about clemson being undervalued from the get go against FSU........the key is the QB play and how well the line protects and open holes for the RB duo....the defense should keep them in every game, so if the O can step up...8 wins is realistic...GL this season

cooz3

Forum Member
Mar 2, 2002
boston
good dialogue ....I belive Irish will be more than a pick at home to open the year.. and g Tech offense will be better without Ball ...that kid cost me a few over the years with his erratic play and poor decision making. that Georgia game comes to mind last year where he threw a couple of late picks .. G Tech D is usual solid ...and with all the discussion about how good Johnson was as a reciever I remember on more than one occassion over the season I was screaming at the tv because they simply did not throw to him or use him effectively. I cant dispute his talent or that his loss will impact the offense ( Of course) but i question whether the offense truly used him so much as to solely rely on him. Even as a "decoy" im sure defenses were focused on him so thats a variable thats difficult to analyze but i think they potentially have improved at the QB spot and thus the passing game may actually be more effective this year.

cooz

Marra

Forum Member
Aug 31, 2002
Chicago, Tempe
I would just like to chime in on the "If Tuitama stays healthy"

Tuiheadtrauma ISNT going to stay healthy - Guys that get concussed that easily just don't stop getting concusssions.

Not to mention U of A's DLine and LB are much to be desired - Though their secondary is going to be solid again headed by Cason.

But ASU wasn't very good last year and they pounded them at U of A - And I don't see much different other than some OCoordinator that isn't going to be able to make a diamond out of a turd.

And they lost Chris Henry, who I liked alot (I had Oregon in that game laying 11 when U of A blasted them by riding Henry)...so it's hard to think the next RB is going to be more productive.

U of A is constantly overrated - ESPECIALLY since that UCLA win 2 years ago, I think they thought they were better than are...but eventually they are going to have a good season - Isn't the last time they made a bowl like 7 years ago? Even a blind squirrel gets a nut.

tulah

Forum Member
Sep 10, 2003
So Cal
UCLA can make some serious noise in the Pac 10 with 10 starters on D and 10 starters on O coming back, they also have 2 QB's they can win with in Ben Olson and patrick Cowan who led the victory over USC with his legs. The D will be the focal point of this team and should start out the season 5-0 before getting a visit from Notre Dame

UCLA should destroy N.D. They had LY's game in the bag, til Quinn hit samardzija for a TD with
0:27 left in the game to win 20-17.
Bruins on paper look like the better team by far.
N.D QB Clausen will have 5 games under his belt
when they come to the Rose Bowl.
IMO Bruins are looking to avenge LY's tough loss.

IMO Bruins will start off 10-0.
They have only 1 stretch with b2b road games
@ WSU & AU. they can win both of those.

Oregon should be tough but they get them @
the Rose Bowl where they are 20-5 since Dorrell
took over in 03.

If they end up 11-0 ,what a game it will be when
they go against cross town rivals USC(who may likely be undefeated also)

I'm excited already and we are only in june.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg