Panelized and Modular homes; Anyone have any words of wisdom on these types of homes?

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Sports Junkie

Forum Member
Sep 24, 2001
VA
Does anyone have any experience or tips or words of wisdom with dealing with these types of homes. I am considering contracting to build one and have done quite a bit of research, but was interested in other people's impressions and/or experiences. Any input would be appreciated. Not talking about a mobile home or double wide, which apparently is a common misconception when talking about a modular or panelized home. Thanks in advance if you respond...

Last edited:

BOHICA

Turgid Member
Forum Member
Apr 6, 2001
Junkie,

Panelized, or modular homes are a great alternative to an on-site stick built home. These homes are built in a controlled environment(a large warehouse), and usually done quite well. The only downside that I had seen was the somewhat limited designs that were available. They are usually very energy efficient, so make sure that proper ventilation is used. I would recomend a whole house system, like an Energy Recovery Ventilator. This will cost you a few bucks, but it is worth every penny.

I used to supply materials to some modular builders, and have been involved in constuction for many years, and I would have no problem endorsing this type of construction.

I have a good friend who is the national sales manager for the Manufactured Housing division of a major supplier. If you let me know who you are thinking about contracting with, I will try to get some info from him.

Good luck to you, and feel free to ask any other questions.

Mark

Last edited:

beertime

Forum Member
Aug 22, 2000
denver
just my opinion sports junky but i would stay away from that type home.

im no expert but have been building and or remodeling homes for a living for quite some time.mostly high end homes.

it all sounds perfect but just as an example... the foundation isnt perfect...

it never is and if you have prebuilt stuff it needs to be "racked" to make it work.sure shimming goes so far but once something doesnt line up it only gets worse.....and the builder doesnt pay people to "care"...just put it up.

thats leads to neverending drywall cracking, settling, tweaked doors etc.. that only get worse as time goes on. not to mention these people that sell these are off the hook by the warranty about the time shit starts happening so yer screwed..

im personally bein run out of work by illegal labor and im sure those fine folks might be involved in a modular setting also so just do a bunch of research on previous customer problems etc.

every modular home ive seen is mickey mouse everything and stomach turning if you know what yer looking at..but costs are low and these guys make a buck sellin em..

jmho.....look into other options

Reactions: kneifl
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

BADTODABONE

MM 82
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2003
Islamorada, FL
Check with a reputable builder in your area. Ask for refs., 'May I tour some prev. built homes?' Mobile Home Manuf. in my area put together some sounding lookin' homes, pre-fab and modular, only to be blown away when a tornado blows thru. GL

djv

Forum Member
Nov 4, 2000
Go to the middle of the road. By that I mean dont go looking cheap way out. My friend and I have had discusions before on this subject. He sells realastate. 20/25 years ago these home would last about 20 years and then all hell whould start to go wrong. It was the material they used and the electrical and plumbing etems were not top shelf. Now inspection is better and you can ask for upraded stuff to be used. So there better. But I still have by doubts if it's best way. Ask to visit at least two or three home owners. Make sure that at least one has been in the house for 10 years.

Last edited:

macavoy

Forum Member
Sep 4, 1999
Mesa, Arizona
Im an appraiser and have seen some good and bad. Just keep in mind from a $$ standpoint they dont appreciate like the rest of the market. If you get one put in the contract upon completion you get an inspector, of your choice, to pour over it and the contract is voidable if youre not satisfied with the inspection.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg