Penn St. @ Michigan

Schmoos

Forum Member
Oct 25, 2006
The Greek currently has the line at Penn St. -3. I've been called crazy before, but I like Michigan here. Looking forward to your input gang.

CWood97

Forum Member
Jan 6, 2003
Michigan
You are not crazy. No one ever made a living giving points to Michigan.

If I am not mistaken UM is 15-7 against the number as a dog since Carr took over in 1995. This will mark the 4th game as a home dog. 2-1 SU and ATS in the previous 3 with the only loss coming in 2005 vs OSU as a 3 pt dog 25-21.

I am hearing Henne may actually play in this one (MCL injury was not as severe as was originally feared). As always I will get reports from the closed practices and will let everyone know what I hear.

Tidbit #1: the last time UM started a season 0-2 (1998) they also played a top ten rated Penn State team as a 3 point home dog. UM won that game 27-0.

Tidbit #2: the last time Penn State beat Michigan was November 16, 1996.

Penn State is probably the better overall team this year but I'm leaning heavily to siding with my wolverines this week. Going to wait and see what I hear out of practice this week before making a play.

DeadPrez

Forum Member
Sep 9, 2005
New York
I'm completely on board...think the Wolverines get it done this week and could be a good bet these next few games...this is an undervalued team right now. This spread would have been Michigan -7 or -8 if the Wolverines hadn't faltered so much early on. This is a better team IMO than Penn State and the Wolverines will view ths game as a shot at redemption. Michigan can still win the Big 10 and I think they are certainly still capable of doing that. That is probably their biggest goal right now.

Schmoos

Forum Member
Oct 25, 2006
Thanks for your input CWood and DeadPrez. I found these additional tidbits to support. Since joining the Big-10 in 1993 PSU is 3-9 against Michigan and have lost the last 8. In 2005 PSU went 11-1 with their only loss 27-25 to a Michigan team that went 7-5. Michigan obviously suffered a couple humiliating losses to App. St. & Oregon. However, this is still a very proud program and I'll take Michigan and the points in the "Big House" anytime, especially with the Wolverines playing with what I believe to be a bit of "chip" on their shoulder.

AR182

Forum Member
Nov 9, 2000
Scottsdale,AZ
I am hearing Henne may actually play in this one (MCL injury was not as severe as was originally feared). As always I will get reports from the closed practices and will let everyone know what I hear.

i was just going to post this to you....looking forward in reading about this..thanks

IE

Administrator
Forum Admin
Forum Member
Mar 15, 1999
Carr will trust Henne's opinion on injury

Whether Chad Henne will start at quarterback for Michigan in the Big Ten opener against Penn State remains up in the air.

Henne, who watched the Notre Dame game from the press box with a brace protecting his sprained right knee, said last Saturday he is eager to return. He was injured against Oregon.

Freshman Ryan Mallett started against Notre Dame and helped lead the Wolverines to a 38-0 victory.

Michigan coach Lloyd Carr is in no hurry to rush Henne's return if he is not fully healthy. He has classified Henne's status as "day-to-day."

"Every medical issue is decided first and foremost by the doctors," Carr said Monday during his weekly news conference. "But there are situations where a trainer, a doctor, relies on how the player feels. It's complicated by, in this case, being a sprain. (Henne) is going to know when he's ready.

"I think the doctors will do a great job making sure no player returns when it's not proper for him to return. But in the situation of a sprain, we have guys play every week with an ankle that's sprained. It's really how effective you can be and how much discomfort you can endure. That's the nature of the game."

Carr typically has a "no practice-no play" policy. But Henne, a four-year starter, clearly is in a different category.

"Chad Henne has got enough experience that he could play without practice," Carr said. "Those are all decisions we make as we go forward."

The Penn State game has always been important to Henne since he is from Pennsylvania and chose the Wolverines over the Nittany Lions.

"He's a great competitor and a great competitor hates to miss (a game), period," Carr said. "That is certainly a game that means a lot to him. Yet you have to know you can play effectively. We'll find that out this week."

Asked if it was fair to call his starting quarterback a game-time decision, Carr hedged.

"I can just tell you I'll see how he does this week," Carr said. "Ultimately, I will decide depending on what I see."

For the record, the depth chart lists Mallett as the starter and David Cone as the backup.

CWood97

Forum Member
Jan 6, 2003
Michigan
Biggest problem for Henne is that it is the MCL (outside of the knee) on his plant leg. When you plant to throw it puts pressure on the MCL.

I am told he'll continue treatment up until Friday at which time he'll try to do some work in the walk through.

Schmoos

Forum Member
Oct 25, 2006
Biggest problem for Henne is that it is the MCL (outside of the knee) on his plant leg. When you plant to throw it puts pressure on the MCL.

I am told he'll continue treatment up until Friday at which time he'll try to do some work in the walk through.

I really appreciate the continued updates CWood!

AR182

Forum Member
Nov 9, 2000
Scottsdale,AZ
got this from another site...

got this from another site...

Henne may return against Penn State; Carr says he could come back without practice

Knee sprain might not stop Pa. native

September 18, 2007
BY MARK SNYDER
FREE PRESS SPORTS WRITER
The Michigan quarterback carousel may be spinning again.
After missing last week's game, senior Chad Henne could possibly play Saturday against No. 10 Penn State.

The quarterback's right knee injury, which coach Lloyd Carr called a sprain at his weekly news conference Monday, was originally suffered against Oregon on Sept. 8. It kept Henne out of the second half of that game and Saturday's win over Notre Dame. Freshman Ryan Mallett played in his place.
Monday, Carr refused to rule Henne out against the Nittany Lions, calling him "day-to-day."
"Chad Henne has got enough experience he could play without practicing," Carr said. "Those are all decisions we make as we go forward. ... The trainers, doctors, will do a great job making sure no player returns when it's not proper to return. But a player in a situation like a sprain, we have guys play every week with an ankle that's sprained. It's really how effective you can be and how much discomfort you can endure, that's just the nature of the game."
Henne spent the Notre Dame game in the coaches box. ABC's cameras showed him a few times on television, once with a large brace on his right knee.
The opportunity to play against Penn State, the school he grew up watching from his home in Pennsylvania and to which he considered committing before settling on Michigan, will probably be a major lure for Henne.
"He's a great competitor and a great competitor hates to miss (games), period," Carr said. "That is certainly a game that means a lot to him. Yet you have to know you can play effectively and we'll find that out this week."
Though the possibility of a return exists, Henne is not listed on the U-M depth chart, which shows only Mallett and David Cone.
Carr could just be trying to make Penn State's preparations more difficult. U-M has a larger playbook for Henne than for Mallett, who is still finding his way.
"A couple times, things happened," U-M senior tailback Mike Hart said of Mallett's inexperience against Notre Dame. "One time he called a play at the line and I said, 'Call the other play.' He was about to run me into the corner and didn't see the blitz. ... Those are the little things, the things with me and Chad. Chad knows I'm going to be on the course."
Hart said Mallett will continue to improve with time.
"There's definitely chemistry, taking handoffs, Chad knowing where I'm going to be," Hart said. "Those are the things (Mallett) will learn as time goes."

LetsMakeMoney

~Gambla~
Forum Member
Mar 6, 2005
Sin City
michigan sux, be careful..........don't bet em based on the notredame performance :nono: sacred heart girls high school could beat notredame by a few touchdowns these days :com: nittany lions should win this game and cover easily :thumb:

Last edited:

InHoc

Forum Member
Sep 2, 2007
Not saying im putting my money on Penn but i sure as hell aint puttin my money on Michigan but im also down on the year so dont listen to me

CWood97

Forum Member
Jan 6, 2003
Michigan
Word is it's going to be Mallett this week.

Not good for UM despite the perception that may be out there. The playbook is going to be very limited, which will make it tough against a good Penn State D.

With Henne UM would have been my top play this week. Likely going to still be a play, just not as large.

Also leaning under.

Bet on MyBookie