Personal Top 10

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Birdy

Forum Member
Jun 29, 2004
For my firstpost on this board, I thought I'd run down my predictions for the upcoming college football season. I'm not a professional scout, so all of what I base my opinions on is second-hand (Phil Steele, Lindy's, etc.), but I think there's some objectivity to be had when considering, at least, how the teams look on paper.

In terms of thread direction, I suppose comments on my rankings are appropriate, but the idea would be to share your top 10 as well.

- Birdy

1. Oklahoma. Be honest. Before the Sooners were defeated the Big-12 title game, you thought they were unbeatable, a lock for the national title. Turns out, of course, it wasn't meant to be, and the Sooners, having ripped off 12-straight victories to open the season (including obscene final scores like 77-0 and 65-13), went on to lost their final two games. The late-season meltdown notwithstanding, the Sooners may have been the most talented team in the nation last year, and from that team return 17 starters -- including Heisman winner Jason White and nine others from the offense. With a lot to prove and tons of talent with which to prove it, the national title is simply theirs to lose.
Prediction: 13-0

2. Georgia. Not much to say here; the Bulldogs are experienced and deep on both sides of the ball, flying high with perhaps their best team in over 20 years. A power program that's ready to bring it hard, everything points to a serious run at an undefeated season.
Prediction: 12-1

3. USC. Southern Cal returns the nation's best quarterback and, should Mike Williams return, the most intimidating quarterback-to-wide receiver duo in recent memory. Like Georgia, the Trojans have clearly reemerged as an elite program with 23 wins the past two seasons, and are defending co-national champions.
Prediction: 11-1

4. Miami. To think, it's a down year for the Hurricanes to "only" rank fourth. But after huge losses to the NFL draft, Miami returns just four to the defense, and no one's been thrilled with Gator transfer QB Brock Berlin. It doesn't help matters the ACC has evolved into a premiere conference that won't provide the cupcakes the Big East did. Still, with the state of the Miami program, it's hard to see any Hurricane team losing three or four games. Just too much speed and raw talent.
Prediction: 10-2

5. Michigan. Michigan will field what should be their best defensive unit since the co-national champion group in 1997. Questions in the offensive backfield will be lessened by the nation's most talented receiver corps and the usual "Michigan" suspects on the offensive line. While probably not a dominant group, the Wolverines are the Big Ten's best and should have no trouble getting to Columbus at 8-2 or 9-1.
Prediction: 10-2

6. LSU. The defending national champs have much the same look as the #5 Wolverines: one of the best defenses in the country; forced to break in a new quarterback; yet still loaded with talent, however unproven. Defending a national championship is never easy, and LSU is only the second-best team in the SEC this season.
Prediction: 10-3

7. Florida State. It's the final go for Seminoles quarterback Chris Rix, and the question arises: Carson Palmer, or John Navarre? Eight other starters will accompany Rix back from last season's unit, making the Noles' offense one of the most experienced in the land. But will Rix emerge the seasoned leader ready to take the provervial next step, like Carson Palmer? Or will he emerge the same Chris Rix we've all come to know -- very talented, but ultimately very avergage -- like John Navarre?
Prediction: 9-3

8. Ohio State. Jim Tressell (32-7 at OSU) has emerged as a top-notch, first-class head coach. His cast of talent this season looks right in line with his formula for success: great defense, good enough offense. The Buckeyes should be every bit a legitimate national title contender, and could very well be undefeated when Michigan visits Ohio Stadium.

9. Texas. Only a handful of teams can recruit with Texas. So every year, on paper, Texas should be able to play with anyone. Then along comes a 65-13 loss to your biggest rival. The trouble with the Horns,though, is you can never be certain this won't be the year they break through what is fast becoming the Mack Brown Curse. The offense should be one of the most, yawn, explosive in the nation; the defense is, yawn, loaded.
Prediction: 10-3

10. West Virginia. With Miami off the schedule and Virginia Tech in a presumed "down" year, the Mountaineers could sneak into the national spotlight. A weak Big East's title still earns a BCS bowl bid, and this group is plenty talented enough to take advantage.

Scott4USC

Fight On!
Forum Member
Sep 11, 2002
Birdy

Good post and should be interesting to see posters replies. For the most part, I think you have a very solid top 10 and gave solid reasonings.

My Final Top 25 Projection

1. USC 13-0
2. Oklahoma 12-1
3. Georgia 12-1
4. Miami (Fla) 11-1
5. LSU 10-2
6. Texas 10-2
7. Florida State 10-2
8. Utah 12-0
9. Iowa 10-2
10. West Virginia 10-2

****My problem with USC is they are playing with an entirely new oline and wr's.
I do think that USC has the tools (and the schedule) to go 13-0. The O-Line is bigger, faster, and more talented than last years unit but they lack the overall experience. If USC gets by V-Tech, they will have few games to gell. Plus they are practicing against the #1 DL in the nation. The WR's are super talented but lack experience if Williams does not return. If Mike Williams returns (which I am banking on) then USC will have the #1 WR unit in the nation. Last year USC offense was EXPLOSIVE and tops in the country and that was with 2 injured starting Tight Ends and freshman backfireld with new QB. Both Tight Ends return and the backfield is now experienced. Chow the best OC in the country now has even more tools to play with!!! :scared As for the USC defense, I think they will be improved and they were a solid unit last year. Pete Carroll is one of the best DC's in colleg football and this is his 4th year at USC. He finally will have the players to run his defensive schemes. Remember, Carroll has had #1 defenses in the NFL as a DC. Last season USC defense was solid and this year I expect them to take it up another level. NOBODY in the nation can run against this USC defense or at least nobody has in the last 2 years!!!! DL should be better this season!!!! :scared

***My problem with OU is the last two games I saw OU play I thought their quarterback was horrible-very average arm at best(I know he might have been hurt-hand sprain). What i saw the last two games there was no way he in the same class as Leinart. My question is he really that good?(I know his numbers the first 10-11 games were fantastic) but I question if he can read defenses. In the title game there were wide open receivers multiple times during the game but White couldn't make the reads (yes I know he was rushed).

The big difference I see in Oklahoma is if STUD RB RECRUIT Adrien Peterson is as good as he seems, White will not be as confused because defensive teams that look at confusing him with exotic defensive schemes againt the pass may be in a world of hurt againt the run. I think Oklahoma will be much better with a balanced offense than last year. I could be wrong on this but it sure looks more balanced on potential. But if Mr Heisman White doesn't learn how to read defenses against good D's (Remember K-St and LSU), the D won't do any good if they are on the field the whole game.

***UGA is def. a top 5 team and should have solid OL since they all will be returning. I am not completely sold on Richt and UGA to put them in title game yet. Very good coach and solid QB but are they a title team? I think UGA tends to make too many mistakes on the feild for me to project them to go 13-0.

-I am very interested to see how Texas plays this year. I really like the coaching additions Texas made in the off season.

-I think OU made an excellent hire in getting Pelini as DC. Utah IMO has great chance to run the table but their SOS will be very weak.

-I look for Iowa to win the Big 10. Love their head coach and they impressed me against Florida. Iowa will suprise everyone in the Big 10 and win it!!!!!!!!!

-Florida St. I think will be solid, and I am going on a limb and predicting Rix to have a very good season. They easily could be a 1 loss team and will contend for a NC. Bowden I think can be outcoached and that is reason enough for me not to put them in top 5.

-Miami like USC has a very favorable schedule and should finish in the top 5. I am not completely sold on Coker and I do not think they make the title game.

-West Virgninia I think is a program on the rise and the Big East sucks so I look for them to crack the top 10. Schedule is pathetic and should have no more than 2 losses this season.

Last edited:
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Birdy

Forum Member
Jun 29, 2004
Scott-Atlanta,

The minute you think to yourself, "There's NO WAY Cal beats USC two years in a row" is the minute you open the door to the possibility. I'm a big fan of taking the "no chance in hell" underdog (Patriots-Rams, OSU-Miami, Pistons-Lakers, Marlins-Yankees), so yeah, Cal might be the team. But really, when I predict 11-1, I'm only saying SOMEONE will beat them. I think when I first scribbled my rough draft, I had Washington State the lucky ones; but it could any one of eight games: VT, Cal, ASU, UW, WSU, OSU, ND, or UCLA -- i.e., they'll go 7-1 against that part of their schedule.

Birdy

Forum Member
Jun 29, 2004
Scott4USC said:
I look for Iowa to win the Big 10. Love their head coach and they impressed me against Florida. Iowa will suprise everyone in the Big 10 and win it!!!!!!!!

I considered Iowa as a national darkhorse; their defense is really solid. But I gotta think their offense is gonna be terrible, and as good as their D is, it's still only the third-best in the conference. Major longshot.

Last edited:

THE KOD

Registered
Forum Member
Nov 16, 2001
Victory Lane
Birdy said:
Scott-Atlanta,
The minute you think to yourself, "There's NO WAY Cal beats USC two years in a row" is the minute you open the door to the possibility. I'm a big fan of taking the "no chance in hell" underdog (Patriots-Rams, OSU-Miami, Pistons-Lakers, Marlins-Yankees), so yeah, Cal might be the team. But really, when I predict 11-1, I'm only saying SOMEONE will beat them. I think when I first scribbled my rough draft, I had Washington State the lucky ones; but it could any one of eight games: VT, Cal, ASU, UW, WSU, OSU, ND, or UCLA -- i.e., they'll go 7-1 against that part of their schedule.
..............................................................................................

Birdy

thanks.

Wouldnt it be something special if VT manages to beat USC the first game.

I have to blame Scott4USC for making me hate USC so bad in just one year of following them.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Birdy

Forum Member
Jun 29, 2004
It would be a nice upset for VT, but I have a feeling they're gonna get smoked.

fletcher

Registered
Forum Member
Jun 21, 2000
henderson,nv.
Know the big east very well, Tech has been on a down slide for 1.5 years and your right usc will smoke them or should. Tech is going to have to play spotless deff all year because off will have ups and downs.

Nice work btw

Eric