philly info

wigs

Forum Member
Jan 27, 2001
austin, tx,usa
boucher in net......

Tim Panaccio
INQUIRER STAFF WRITER

One of these days, Brian Boucher might actually get to start a game in goal at home under Bill Barber, something that has never happened.

"You never know," Barber said yesterday with a twinkle in his eye.

It could happen tomorrow against Pittsburgh, if Boucher plays well again tonight in Washington against the Capitals. Boucher looked terrific during Saturday's 27-save performance against Montreal. Although he is 1-2-1, he has played well enough to be 3-0-1.

Bottom line: Boucher has a legitimate chance to regain the starter's job he lost last season to Roman Cechmanek.

"We have to go off exactly what is going on at the time," Barber said. "If the team responds around Boo and his play continues to keep improving, then there's probably a very good chance Boucher will stay in the lineup."

The door has never been this wide open for Boucher under Barber. The Flyers seemed to play better under Cechmanek last fall, but the reverse is true this year, with Boucher looking better. Boucher seems more alert in the nets and has improved himself on second-chance rebounds. His lateral movement is quicker than Cechmanek's right now.

"Right from training camp, Boucher was really focused," said team captain Keith Primeau. "Squaring up the shooter, making himself big in the net. His biggest asset is his mobility. He gets across the crease so well. He's back to doing those things."

Boucher, who admitted in camp that he hurt himself last fall by putting too much pressure on himself to live up to a new contract from the previous summer, is far more relaxed and seems confident that he can win his job back. You sense it in his voice, you see it in his play, even though he won't say it outright.

"There might be plenty of opportunities during the course of the season to do that," he said of the possibility of being No. 1 again. "It's still very early. I am not going to make this like it's my chance. I will try my best. I want to keep doing what I've done. If it works out, then fine. I won't fall into the trap of last year where I put too much pressure on myself. It's not worth it and it doesn't work."

Boucher should have won the game that the Flyers lost, 2-1, in Buffalo on Oct. 10, and the team in front of him should not have collapsed in the final 41 seconds of a 3-2 loss in Detroit on Oct. 18. A 2-2 tie in Columbus on Oct. 8 amounted to Boucher earning the Flyers a point.

No matter the result, one can sense that the Flyers are feeding off the energy of Boucher's saves in his last three starts.

"If you watch closely," Barber said, "the team has responded and Boucher has responded. So that allows him to play [against Washington]."

Boucher says he can't worry about whether he regains the starter's job. It's not always left in his hands, anyway.

"Some nights you play well and don't win," he said. "I thought I played well in Detroit and we didn't get the win. And I didn't get the next start."

With a little help from his teammates, Boucher can change his destiny tonight in D. C. and tomorrow at home against the Penguins.

"Hopefully, we can approach the game with the same amount of urgency as we did in Montreal," Boucher said.

Loose pucks. Eric Desjardins missed practice with lower back pain and bursitis in his left elbow. Chris McAllister will replace him in the lineup tonight. Also out is Kent Manderville (sprained right ankle). He too missed practice . .

Bet on MyBookie