Picking on the bottom feeders today

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

ScreaminPain

1/2 cocked
Forum Member
Nov 10, 2004
Southern California
SAN FRANCISCO: B ZITO AT FLORIDA: S OLSEN (4:10 pm PT)Florida has won 3 in a row and now gets a little break as they get the anemic hitting Giants, at home, with Zito on the hill. After facing the last 3 Arizona pitchers this will seem like a cakewalk. In the last 3 games they have encountered:
Haren, 3.39 ERA, .204 BAA
Webb, 2.56 ERA, .180 BAA
Hendrickson 3.34 ERA, .234 BAA.
The Marlin hitters must be salivating at the thought of Zito bringing in his 6.75 ERA, his .285 BAA and his 0-9 record (0-4 away). This year, Zito is the 13th worst starting pitcher who has at least 2 starts and is not currently on the DL. ?.and that?s out of over 175 players (Yikes!). I know Zito pitched better recently and he?s getting NO run support (6 runs in L4 games), but that gaudy 17.13 WHPG still stands out on my sheet.
My fingers have trouble hitting the ?submit? button on lines over ?150, so I?ll take the Marlins to extend their streak and give the -1.5, +125.

CINCINNATI: E VOLQUEZ AT SAN DIEGO: S ESTES (7:05 pm PT)The Padres woes will continue as they get to face Cincy?s Edinson Volquez tonight. He?s bringing in an ERA of 1.17 in away games. His impressive 7-1 record is even better when you notice his only loss was to Atlanta when giving up only 1 earned run in 6 innings. San Diego?s Estes takes the mound for only the 3rd time this year, but has pitched well coming in with a impressive 9.32 WHPG and 2.32 ERA. Both pitchers have a BAA of less than .200. While the pitching stats are notable, the makings of my wager hinge on the ineptness of the offenses. San Diego is irrefutably the worst producing offense in Major League baseball and Cincinnati rates in the BOTTOM 5 of the NL. That 8 run output yesterday was an anomaly. The Padres have only scored 8 runs or more on 3 other occasions. They scored only 27 runs in the previous 9 games. We have here 2 anemic hitting teams facing decent pitchers in the cold San Diego moist air. The only concern may be the Bullpens, which rank 24th and 26th in MLB ERA. Lets hope the starters live up to their billing and settle this thing the way we should. This smells like a 3-1 game to me. Give me the UNDER 7.5, ?125 for a unit.

Last edited: