Pittsburgh Tonight - Field Conditions?

T-Banana

Forum Member
Sep 14, 2007
What's up with there field? Anyone know? Even if they layed new sod again it still hasn't taken to the ground yet. And here comes another huge storm for game time. Anyone have any other news? Thanks.

MoeshY-13-

Forum Member
Oct 22, 2006
Western PA
I just saw on the News that it will be about 43 degrees at kickoff with rain/freezing rain during the game as well as winds that might get up to 30 mph. I haven't seen or heard anything on the field though.

Sam

Forum Member
Oct 16, 2001
Steelers' Rooney says Heinz Field condition 'outstanding'
But team will take extra precautions to keep it dry
Friday, November 30, 2007
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers Chairman Dan Rooney said the sod at Heinz Field is in "outstanding" condition for the game against the Cincinnati Bengals, and the team will take extra precautions to prevent some of the problems that existed in Monday night's soggy situation against the Miami Dolphins.

That's probably a good thing because the forecast for Sunday night is rain turning to snow, according to the National Weather Service.

The biggest move: The Steelers will use an extra layer of tarpaulin to cover the field, an attempt to prevent water from leaking through the seams of the existing tarp, as it did Monday night.

Rooney said the greatest collection of water was at the goal line, midfield and 25-yard line --- the areas where the tarp has seams.

The Steelers had the field aerated and rolled after the game against the Dolphins and have used blowers in an attempt to dry the sod.

Sam

Forum Member
Oct 16, 2001
Pittsburgh will get about 5 hours of moderate to severe rain from the time it starts, and then another 1 hr of light rain. So 6 total hours, probably starting around 7 or 7:15pm

utesfootball

Registered
Forum Member
Jan 17, 2007
My biggest question now.....can this game go over? I really liked the over if field condtions woukld be good, which they should be to start but will llikely get messy. Now I question the over, the other thing is the fact that 8 games have already gone over today while only 3 stayed under.....every1 bets the over, Vegas doesn't lose that much money.

LDB

Forum Member
Nov 18, 2007
Bay Area, CA
Im going with the under big. you seen what happened last week with miami. expect the same field condition and even wind to pick up.

Under 41

MoeshY-13-

Forum Member
Oct 22, 2006
Western PA
It's been pouring here for the last 20 mins....expect the field to get bad quick even if it is in better condition at the start of tongihts game compared to last week. I'm also looking at the under big, it dropped from 46 to 38 and is now sitting at 40.

utesfootball

Registered
Forum Member
Jan 17, 2007
Im going with the under big. you seen what happened last week with miami. expect the same field condition and even wind to pick up.

Under 41

This is ridiculous....last week they had fresh sod placed on old turf creating loose grass with horrid footing. Also, the tarp leaked all over causing horrible conditions. the tarp is fixed this week which will make the field fine until the rain that comes down once the tarp is off causes problems....that should take a few quarters if it keeps coming. The conditions will be waaaay better than they were last week.

T-Banana

Forum Member
Sep 14, 2007
Steelers' Rooney says Heinz Field condition 'outstanding'
But team will take extra precautions to keep it dry
Friday, November 30, 2007
By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Steelers Chairman Dan Rooney said the sod at Heinz Field is in "outstanding" condition for the game against the Cincinnati Bengals, and the team will take extra precautions to prevent some of the problems that existed in Monday night's soggy situation against the Miami Dolphins.

That's probably a good thing because the forecast for Sunday night is rain turning to snow, according to the National Weather Service.

The biggest move: The Steelers will use an extra layer of tarpaulin to cover the field, an attempt to prevent water from leaking through the seams of the existing tarp, as it did Monday night.

Rooney said the greatest collection of water was at the goal line, midfield and 25-yard line --- the areas where the tarp has seams.

The Steelers had the field aerated and rolled after the game against the Dolphins and have used blowers in an attempt to dry the sod.

You forgot this part......

To help simulate the conditions at Heinz Field, Bengals coach Marvin Lewis had extra water pumped on the grass practice field in Cincinnati yesterday, according to the team's official Web site, Bengals.com.

It's still new sod, the only thing holding it down is its own weight, it hasn't had any time or the weather conditions to root itself. I find it hard to believe that it's going to be any different then last week once the tarps come off. And I agree, the rain will be around until about 1am, we have the same storm up here in Detroit and it has been raining since 1pm.

Go Lions...jk, they can die.

T-Banana

Forum Member
Sep 14, 2007
This is ridiculous....last week they had fresh sod placed on old turf creating loose grass with horrid footing. Also, the tarp leaked all over causing horrible conditions. the tarp is fixed this week which will make the field fine until the rain that comes down once the tarp is off causes problems....that should take a few quarters if it keeps coming. The conditions will be waaaay better than they were last week.

I've been landscaping for 15 years, that sod is no different then the day they laid it. You could walk up and pick up the same piece that was layed a week ago. I'll give half a quarter of decent playtime.

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
any advantage to pittsburgh for having played on just such a field(THE same field,actually) just a week ago?.....

and i`m hearing about some wind issues(although i can`t confirm it)....

T-Banana

Forum Member
Sep 14, 2007
any advantage to pittsburgh for having played on just such a field(THE same field,actually) just a week ago?.....

and i`m hearing about some wind issues(although i can`t confirm it)....

They may have a slight advantage there....winds 10-20mph.

Bet on MyBookie