Pope props and futures

smurphy

cartographer
Channel Member
Jul 31, 2004
L.A.
Anybody making any vatican bets? I see plenty of interesting wagers are offered. Maybe some inside info from the Catholic contingency here?

(I dunno if this is the right forum for this, sorry if it's not)

dawgball

Forum Member
Feb 12, 2000
This Catholic's inside info is that it is a complete crapshoot. The method of choosing the next Pope is probably one of the best kept secrets in history. I'm pretty sure that the Cardinals are the ones in control of the documents leading to Hoffa's body and the second shooter.

SixFive

bonswa
Forum Member
Mar 12, 2001
BG, KY, USA
is there a prop for a non-European pope for plus money? I think that's what I would play. Haven't looked at them, so not sure.

Add Looks like Pinny is +248 on this prop for "Next pope from the New World". I think that's what I'd play.

smurphy

cartographer
Channel Member
Jul 31, 2004
L.A.
Yeah - I saw that one. Could be some value there.

Pinny also has +263 that the new Pope is under 70 years old. Are all the candidates that old?

Is there a line anywhere for the recently departed one to be declared a Saint? I guess their gonna dig him up and if his organs are still in good shape, then he's a saint???? Not sure if that's how it works, but I heard something like that.

Last edited:

smurphy

cartographer
Channel Member
Jul 31, 2004
L.A.
That's a cool link ....and it helps remind me that I will NEVER be a Catholic. If Catholics are so great, how come the Cardinals and Saints are such bad football teams?

pirate fan

Forum Member
Aug 24, 2002
Hey, didn't the Angels just win the WS a few years ago? I'm guessing the next Pope is from Italy. In the Catholic faith, the third world countries are growing as the church reachs out to those less fortunate while those with power and money ie: (America and Europe) are falling away. I think the Church will try to regain some of those who have fallen away by going back to an Italian Pope. The third world will continue to grow regardless if the Pope is from there or European. Just for info: The cardinals vote twice in the morning and twice in the afternoon each day statring April 18th. It is a secret ballot and the winner must have a 2/3 vote plus one. After some time if this cannot be settled, they can elect a Pope by a 50% plus 1 vote. The cardinals are placed in very average, (not comfortable conditions) so as to push the reason to get a Pope elected.

smurphy

cartographer
Channel Member
Jul 31, 2004
L.A.
Now come on, "Angels" can be any Christian denomination - I'm guessing it was the Mormon influence that got Anaheim the win.

BobbyBlueChip

Trustee
Forum Member
Dec 27, 2000
Belly of the Beast
". . . caught between heaven and hell, where's the girl I knew a year ago. . . "

Back to the topic at hand, I would think an Italian pope at +148 is the way to go here. Think the Catholic church is about to start kickin' it Pre-Vatican II Old School.

smurphy

cartographer
Channel Member
Jul 31, 2004
L.A.
I think the soccer riot in Milan yesterday may have sealed the deal. Italy needs to look inward. They are a nation of wayward souls.

BobbyBlueChip

Trustee
Forum Member
Dec 27, 2000
Belly of the Beast
With Italians accounting for some 17 percent of the voters, a united front could be significant, but Reese said he saw no sign the Italians have rallied behind one candidate.
The editor of America said he thought the Italians would view this conclave as their "last chance" to get the papacy back and resume their domination. The pope appoints the cardinals.
But John-Peter Pham, a Vatican expert who worked at the Holy See from 1992 to 2002, said he was not sure that was the agenda. Still, the Italians "remain a force to be reckoned with," said Pham in a telephone interview from Virginia, where he is a professor at James Madison University.
"I think cardinals would be hesitant to elect a Bishop of Rome who is opposed by the bishops of Italy," Pham added.
Italians might have an advantage in lobbying, since fluency in conversational Latin, once expected of top churchmen, has largely slackened.
When cardinals gather, "if you watch their dining room behavior, they tend to sit in language groups," Pham said. "If there's a common language, it's Italian."

smurphy

cartographer
Channel Member
Jul 31, 2004
L.A.
Uh oh, Italian born has dropped to +138. I think they are on to us!

pirate fan

Forum Member
Aug 24, 2002
As far as the language thing, I don't buy it. Most of them can speak latin at the very least and they have translators if needed. Also even if Italy has 17% of the vote locked up, they still need more than 50% if things drag out. I think America has close to 10% of the vote but there is no way we get a Pope from the US, or any super power country. Still like the Italian though and I am hearing an older one that won't live too long till they can decide on a direction. Last time they tried that they elected John XXIII who started Vatican II and really changed the Church for the better. Good Luck

Bet on MyBookie