Post Election Thoughts and Suggestions for Repb's

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

samayam

Forum Member
Feb 19, 2006
I am a Repb and sat the election out for basically the exact reasons cited below. I am a conservative/libertarian and therefore the recent out of control spending, expansion of exec. powers and expansion of the overall federal gvmt. have rubbed me wrong. I like the analysis below and think Armey is right in his suggestions for the future.

Comments/Thoughts??

End of the Revolution
By DICK ARMEY
November 9, 2006; Page A14
If there was still any doubt, the Republican Revolution of 1994 officially ended Tuesday night with the loss of at least 28 seats and majority control of the House of Representatives. As I write this, the race in Virginia that will determine if the Republicans also lose control of the Senate is too close to call, but leaning Democrat.

It was a rout.

How did we get here? The war in Iraq and historical voting patterns that favor the opposition party in off-year elections are factors suggested by many post-election pundits. Certainly, the mounting problems in Iraq were on voters' minds, but responsibility for the conduct of the war lies with the executive branch, and President Bush was not on the ballot.

That said, this was a national election, driven by national issues. One big issue in exit polls suggests widespread voter backlash against the "culture of corruption." There is something to this, I think. Over time, too many Republicans in the governing majority forgot or abandoned their national vision, letting parochial interests dominate the decision-making process.

All enterprises have a life-cycle. The Republican takeover in 1994 was the culmination of years of agitation by a relatively small group of political entrepreneurs in the House. Before we could beat the Democrats and their "culture of corruption," we had to beat the old bulls of our own party. They too were driven by a parochial vision, and had grown complacent with the crumbs offered them by the majority. It is often said that Newt Gingrich and I "nationalized" the election in 1994, but what the Contract with America really did was establish a national (as opposed to a parochial) vision for the Republican Party. When we took control, that positive Reagan vision of limited government and individual responsibility provided a great deal of discipline and allowed us to govern accordingly. Our primary question in those early years was: How do we reform government and return money and power back to the American people?

Eventually, the policy innovators and the "Spirit of '94" were largely replaced by political bureaucrats driven by a narrow vision. Their question became: How do we hold onto political power? The aberrant behavior and scandals that ended up defining the Republican majority in 2006 were a direct consequence of this shift in choice criteria from policy to political power.

Nowhere was this turn more evident than in the complete collapse of fiscal discipline in the budgeting process. For most Republican candidates, fiscal responsibility is our political bread and butter. No matter how voters view other, more divisive issues from abortion to stem-cell research, Republicans have traditionally enjoyed a clear advantage with a majority of Americans on basic pocketbook issues. "We will spend your money carefully and we will keep your taxes low." That was our commitment. This year, no incumbent Republican (even those who fought for restraint) could credibly make that claim. The national vision -- less government and lower taxes -- was replaced with what Jack Abramoff infamously called his "favor factory." One Republican leader actually defended a questionable appropriation of taxpayer dollars, saying it was a reasonable price to pay for holding a Republican seat. What was most remarkable was not even the admission itself, but that it was acknowledged so openly. Wasn't that the attitude we were fighting against in 1994?

I've always wondered why Republicans insist on acting like Democrats in hopes of retaining political power, while Democrats act like us in order to win.

I've also wondered why Republicans let their fears and insecurities get in the way of important reforms. They missed the opportunity of a lifetime by failing to embrace retirement security based on personal ownership. Instead, from both parties we heard about "saving Social Security" -- to the extent we heard anything at all. Republicans should be for reforms that free individuals and their families from failed government programs. We should not be for "saving" failed government programs. When we took on welfare reform in 1995, we knew we were taking on a Goliath. Once we threw the first rock, we knew we had to finish the job. Otherwise, the worst claims of our opponents would have stuck with us in future elections. With legislative success, the horrible accusations of our opponents were replaced with reduced welfare roles, and the individual dignity and self-sufficiency that naturally followed.

In 2006, instead of heavy lifting on substantial reforms, House and Senate leaders attempted to rally their political base on wedge issues like illegal immigration and gay marriage. Instead of dealing with spending bills or retirement security, the Senate dedicated two full legislative days to a constitutional ban on gay marriage that no one expected to pass. No substantive legislation was passed dealing seriously with border security and legitimate guest workers (funding for a 700 mile fence was finally authorized, but no funds were appropriated). In both instances, it was pure politics, designed to appeal to angry factions of the GOP base. While Republicans managed to hold conservative Christians, they alienated independents, who represent 26% of the voting population. For the first time in 10 years, independents sided with Democrats by a wide margin. Candidates that bet on the high demagogy coefficient associated with illegal immigration, notably in Arizona, lost.

You can't build a winning constituency based on anger. The American people expect more. That is a lesson Democrats will soon learn if they wrongly interpret the election results as a mandate to "get even."

Moving forward, my advice to Republicans is simple: Don't go back and check on a dead skunk. The question Republicans now need to answer is: How do we once again convince the public that we are in fact the party many Democrats successfully pretended to be in this election? To do so, Republicans will need to shed their dominant insecurities that the public just won't understand a positive, national vision that is defined by economic opportunity, limited government and individual responsibility.

We need to remember Ronald Reagan's legacy and again stand for positive, big ideas that get power and money out of politics and government bureaucracy and back into the hands of individuals. We also need again to demonstrate an ability to be good stewards of the taxpayers' hard-earned money. If Republicans do these things, they will also restore the public's faith in our standards of personal conduct. Personal responsibility in public life follows naturally if your goal is good public policy.

Besides the obvious impact on the House and Senate, Tuesday's elections will no doubt redefine the Republican field going into early presidential primary states like Iowa, New Hampshire and South Carolina. It will be up to grassroots activists in those battlegrounds to establish a constituency of expectations that anyone aspiring to be the next president of the United States must satisfy. To voters I say: Demand substance and you will get it. To Republican candidates for office I say: Offer good policy and you will create a winning constituency for lower taxes, less government and more freedom.

Mr. Armey, House majority leader between 1995 and 2002, is chairman of FreedomWorks, a national grass-roots advocacy organization.

samayam

Forum Member
Feb 19, 2006
As they lick their wounds, Republicans are no doubt wondering what went wrong and what to do now. The answers aren't all that complicated: Revive the reform convictions that earned them power in the 1990s, and start that process in the House of Representatives by electing a new slate of leaders.

Twelve years ago, the Newt Gingrich-led Republicans swept into power as reformers who ran against corruption and pledged to make government "smaller and smarter." Somehow, across the years, that conviction was replaced by Tom DeLay and the quest for permanent incumbency, Appropriations Chairman Jerry Lewis and the "earmark" brigade, and a retinue of Beltway retainers symbolized by Jack Abramoff. The current leadership let it all happen, and if Republicans want a shot at regaining control in 2008 they'll turn to a new generation to lead them.

If we had to pick the precise moment when House Republicans lost their way, it would be three years ago during the floor vote over the Medicare prescription drug bill. So unpopular was the bill among conservatives, and rightly so, that House leaders kept the vote open for an unheard of three hours as they dragooned reluctant Members to vote aye.

The other great symbol of GOP failure is the proliferation of earmarked spending. In 1994 there were 1,500 such projects stuffed into Democratic spending bills, and Republicans called this a fiscal disgrace. This year Republicans approved closer to 15,000 earmarks at a cost of more than $10 billion. The current leadership defended this earmarking even after such embarrassments as the Alaska Bridge to Nowhere were exposed. When they finally agreed to minimal transparency, it was too late.

Here's one telling exit poll result: In battleground districts, only one in five voters said Republicans would do a better job to "keep government spending under control"; almost twice as many voters said Democrats would do a better job. Yet this week a separate poll found that 59% of Americans still favor fewer government services and lower taxes compared with 28% who favor more government services and higher taxes. "Big government conservatism" was a nice think-tank proposition; it merely lacks support from actual voters.

As a minority party in Congress, Republicans must operate as the party of change, not of Washington insiders willing to sign away their principles for a courthouse or swimming pool in the home district. This doesn't mean they shouldn't work with Democrats when it makes policy sense. But they need to reclaim their fiscal conservative birthright.

Republicans also need to rediscover an agenda for reforming government programs that don't work or threaten to bankrupt future generations. The Gingrich Republicans did that with welfare reform in the 1990s, and they tried with Medicaid. Then President Bush gave Republicans a once-in-a-generation chance to reform Social Security and health care along free market lines, but GOP House leaders fought him behind the scenes. For this alone, they should be returned to the backbenches.

The Senate GOP also committed some of these sins, but likely Minority Leader Mitch McConnell isn't among the big offenders. He's made his mark on policy by fighting for free speech, among other things; he knows the intricacies of the Senate and is likely to prove formidable as an opposition leader.

The problem is the House, where Speaker Dennis Hastert has already announced he won't stand for minority leader. Others in the leadership are claiming to have learned their lesson and promise a new beginning. That's for Members to judge. But we'd be wary of leaders who stake their claim to power on their ability to soak the lobbying mecca of K Street, or who refused to challenge the Appropriators who did so much to besmirch the image of the current, and soon-to-vanish, GOP majority.

Republicans might also recall what happened to Democrats when they tried to regain the House in 1996 by running with the same leadership and agenda that had been ousted in 1994. Those Democrats failed, despite Bill Clinton's victory at the top of the ticket, because too many voters saw the same old story. If Republicans lose again in 2008, they could be in the minority for a long time.

The good news is that a younger generation does seem to be stepping forward. Mike Pence, of Indiana, has already declared for minority leader, and John Shadegg of Arizona is seeking the number two job as whip. Paul Ryan of Wisconsin, Jeb Hensarling of Texas and Jeff Flake of Arizona (see his essay nearby) are among the other Members who have tried to put ideas above mere incumbency. Republican Members will make up their own minds, but their willingness to consider new leadership will say a lot about the lessons they've learned from this week's drubbing.

Too many Republicans were corrupted and seduced by power and forgot why voters sent them to Washington. Winning back the majority requires new faces of leadership far removed from this year's debacle.

djv

Forum Member
Nov 4, 2000
Get rid of MR UN Bolton good start. Compromise on others items. But lets not fall over each other. I don't remember much if any compromise last 5 years. Get that tax package back on table. And make it better and keep economy growing by doing it.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

samayam

Forum Member
Feb 19, 2006
WASHINGTON -- If Rep. Mike Pence, the fourth-term Republican from Indiana, wins his bid this Friday for House minority leader, he will become the second most influential conservative in Washington, behind President Bush. The leadership contest, of course, does not take place in a vacuum. The congressional Republicans are engaged in a desperate search for a new revolutionary, a Newt Gingrich figure to help them rediscover who they are and what they believe in. One story about Mr. Pence suggests that he might just be the man:

"The president said, 'Mike, I really need your vote for my prescription drug bill," Mr. Pence recalls of his first-ever meeting in the Oval Office. "And I responded, 'With all due respect, Mr. President, I didn't come to this town to create new entitlements, but to rein in the ones we already have.'" A few days later, this wet-behind-the-ears sophomore congressman captained a conservative revolt that fell one vote short of killing the hugely expensive legislation.

That wasn't the first time this maverick bucked his party leadership and his president. His first spending vote in the House was against the No Child Left Behind education bill that the Bush White House still considers one of its crowning achievements. His reasoning: "Why are we federalizing schools and education?"

Neither of these incidents endeared Mr. Pence to Karl Rove or the Bush White House. But perhaps his principled stance is in need more than ever.

"My colleagues know that I have never hesitated to support this president when I thought that he was right even on difficult issues like the war," Mr. Pence told me in an interview last week. "But I have never hesitated to oppose vigorously and publicly when I thought that the policy of the Bush administration ran contrary to the principles of limited government." Translation: Expect some intraparty fireworks if Mr. Pence wins.

Mr. Pence believes that his party got trounced last week because of its embrace of what he derisively calls "big government Republicanism." He laments: "For the past four years there has been a growing sense among voters that Republicans, who had come to Washington, D.C. to shrink government, instead settled for an agenda of running government in a slightly less expensive way than the Democrats." (By the end, they weren't even doing that.) Returning Republicans to their Reagan roots is Mr. Pence's obsession. "I believe in my heart that the greatest scandal in Washington is runaway federal spending."

The silver-haired Mr. Pence is most known as a free-market conservative who fought to make the Bush tax cuts bigger and the Bush spending smaller, and he relishes the idea of taking on the trade protectionism of the Democrats. On immigration, he rejects as economically wrongheaded the Pat Buchanan isolationism of the party. He wants a border security bill that includes expanded legal immigration and a system to allow illegal workers to go back home and secure a green card for re-admittance if they have a willing employer who will hire them.

The closed-border Republicans have screamed "amnesty" -- a policy Mr. Pence says he's "dedicated to preventing." It says a lot about his likeability and conservative credentials that even his highest-profile opponent on the immigration issue, Tom Tancredo, is a Pence supporter in the leadership race.

One complication for Republican leaders is that over the next two years a legacy-minded Mr. Bush might work to make bipartisan deals with a Speaker Nancy Pelosi -- on questions like minimum wage, health care and entitlement reform. Mr. Pence sees the House Republicans' game plan for winning back the majority as pretty much the opposite: to oppose such deals whenever they deviate from Reagan principles.

"The duty of the Republican minority as I see it is to contest and where possible defeat the liberal agenda of the Democratic Party and Speaker Pelosi," he stresses. "But I think that we will only defeat the Democratic agenda by presenting positive, substantive reforms based on Republican values for every major legislative initiative of the Democratic majority -- whether the issue is the economy, security or values." There's a definite spirit of combativeness, not cooperation -- thank God.

Mr. Pence seems to have corralled most of the support from major conservative voices, ranging from Rush Limbaugh to Paul Weyrich. John Berthoud, the president of the National Taxpayers Union, gushes: "Mike Pence is one of the few Republicans of late we could always depend on to take the principled position, not the K Street position." He adds, "He's the obvious choice. When you've got a Roger Clemens, you put him on the mound."

Not everyone sees Mr. Pence in that all-star light. The complaint on Capitol Hill is that he can be a self-promoter and a media hound. In America's most secure redoubt of egomania, the U.S. Congress, that often foments envy. Some of Mr. Pence's critics charge that for all his self-righteous anti-big-government talk, he voted "aye" for the mega-spending farm bill of 2002 to benefit his Indiana farmers. Mr. Pence's response: "I'm 99% conservative and 1% collectivist" -- though he does say one of his goals this year is a genuinely free-market farm bill.

His opponent in the leadership race, John Boehner of Ohio, is a conservative himself, and well-liked. He was majority leader this past year, and did an admirable and thankless job of cleaning up the House stables in the aftermath of the Tom DeLay and Jack Abramoff scandals. Mr. Boehner is a far better fundraiser than Mr. Pence. But still, he's not the new face many Republicans are searching for.

Here, the betting odds are with Mr. Boehner. It's tough to topple the incumbent party powers, though the members may want to remember that the first step toward winning control of the House in 1994 was voting out the old regime and putting in visionary leaders like Newt Gingrich and Dick Armey.

Can Mike Pence win? That depends on how many of his colleagues fully understand how much trouble they're in.

Mr. Moore is a member of the Journal's editorial board.

Terryray

Say Parlay
Forum Member
Way, way too much ideology and inside-the-beltway political theorizing here!

You gotta face the facts about US elections.

Less than 10% of population have even the barest thought-out political belief system. Most elections are decided by the undecided (uninformed) voter. Most these folks can't name their congressman or senators. Pollsters find that if you ask them a political question and get an answer, then rephrase the questions and you get inconsitent or contradictory answers---shows that most folks don't have well thought out ideas on issues or any underlying political theory.

Gut feelings about pocketbook, country, corruption and such is the reasoning most use. This is influenced heaviy by candidate slogans, packaging, name recognition, colors used in ads, gaffes like eating tamales with the corn husk on----these are what decide most elections---not positions on issues. See ?Winning Elections: Political Campaign Management, Strategy & Tactics?

Not to say that most folks reasoning on these issues are distinguished in any way. A typical example.

Heck, in this paper ("Blind Retrospection. Electoral Responses to Drought, Flu, and Shark Attacks", warning, pdf file) written by some Princeton profs, they estimate that ?2.8 million people voted against Al Gore in 2000 because their states were too dry or too wet? due to weather that year. Authors figger these folks cost Gore 7 states (just need one more to win)

Things mostly move along in this country without much of a bump, and most folks just don't have that much interest in national politics.

Joseph Schumpeter:

?The typical citizen drops down to a lower level of mental performance as soon as he enters the political field. He argues and analyzes in a way
which he would readily recognize
as infantile within the sphere of his real interests. He becomes a primitive again. His thinking is associative and affective.?

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

samayam

Forum Member
Feb 19, 2006
Terryray

I would like to think that you are wrong, but you may well be right.

Nevertheless, I will continue to think that if Repb's get back to their 94 mentality-they will see results again.

I think that people like the idea of low taxes, low gvmt. spending if NOTHING else.

I want to know how many conservatives sat this election out. I know that I am one of them--out of control spending alone was enough to keep me away-nevermind the corruption and Iraq.

My point is that if the Repb's have any chance of regaining some ground-they need to go back to principle. Becuase the principle can stop corruption (limit gvmt) and help pocketbook issues (low taxes) and maybe even get Iraq undercontrol (someone to realize we need to put more troops to squash the rebellion, not pull out and leave a quaqmire but satisfy politics).

DOGS THAT BARK

Forum Member
Jul 13, 1999
Bowling Green Ky
Don't discount impact of immigration reform on this election either--

While Dean was quoted
""It's now 80-20 in the Hispanic community in favor of the Democrats, instead of 60-40, as it was two years ago."
http://www.pbs.org/kcet/tavissmiley/special/election06/2006/10/the_african_american_and_latin.html

I believe the #'s were closer to 72-28 Dem from what I've seen.

Regardless-if you can get 90% and 80% out of minorities that is a significant spot in any election election to overcome..