Prop bets on Dow Jones

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

ga_ben

Snarky
Forum Member
Oct 12, 2006
Acworth, GA
My book has prop bets on whether Dow Jones will be up or down on the next day. Was just wondering if anyone else wagers on these bets and if so whats your strategy? I'm thinking tomorrow might be another down day due to it being the last day of the quarter combined with all the other problems we face. My book though has -150 for an up market and +110 for a down. Thanks for any replies.

redsfann

ale connoisseur
Forum Member
Aug 3, 1999
Somewhere in Corn Country
My book has prop bets on whether Dow Jones will be up or down on the next day. Was just wondering if anyone else wagers on these bets and if so whats your strategy? I'm thinking tomorrow might be another down day due to it being the last day of the quarter combined with all the other problems we face. My book though has -150 for an up market and +110 for a down. Thanks for any replies.

I'd unload on the +110 for a down day on the Dow. Oil is still climbing to new records every trading day and the futures this morning are also trading down, which is usually a good indication of where the market is heading that particular day.

ga_ben

Snarky
Forum Member
Oct 12, 2006
Acworth, GA
I'm banking on a down day. Quarter end and everyone wants to tidy up their portfolio plus oil was trading up late last night already. One day this week we're gonna have a nice up day. May start chasing that tomorrow. Can you say dead cat bounce?

Redsfann do you wager on Dow up or down?

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

redsfann

ale connoisseur
Forum Member
Aug 3, 1999
Somewhere in Corn Country
I'm banking on a down day. Quarter end and everyone wants to tidy up their portfolio plus oil was trading up late last night already. One day this week we're gonna have a nice up day. May start chasing that tomorrow. Can you say dead cat bounce?

Redsfann do you wager on Dow up or down?

I don't currently have a book that allows that wager, but in the past I have. Was really into it in late 04-early 05 if I recall correctly--was always on the up and the Dow went up 20 out of 22 trading days if memory serves me right...

Is the book you are using a sponsor here at Jacks? if so, do you mind sharing it? if its not, could you grab my e-mail addy from the mods and send it my way?
just my opinion, of course, but Dow 10,000 by year end would not shock me in the least.
I am short the dollar and long commodities and the Euro, Yen and Brazilian Real.
Market down 20% from its Oct, 2007 high--I'm comfortably to the + side in my overall portfolio since then....

Dow opened to the + side this morning, but now trading to the - side as of 9:20 Central time...

Last edited:

selkirk

Forum Member
Jul 16, 1999
Canada
almost 10 years ago, time does fly, use to play DOW props at WSEX. played only about 20 times for in general small amounts.

these are very hard to predict, would often be able to figure out the open however the dow can swing very quickly you just need on stock to report good or bad news, and there is your bet. remember on time lost a bet on up, and it was up 100 with about one hour to go....one stock was downgraded and the dow was off 10 points.

agree with redsfann that would go with a trend, if the market is having a good run, pick positive, and having three bad days, why not four....

thanks
selkirk

ga_ben

Snarky
Forum Member
Oct 12, 2006
Acworth, GA
Selkirk you are right. Its so tricky. Last Monday had an up bet and Dow ended down .33 of a point. Wagering closes by midnight EST so its not like I can stay up and follow any news. Usually go small on all these bets and I like the idea of going with the trend as opposed to day to day.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg