Puck or No Puck?

Nick Douglas

Forum Member
Oct 31, 2000
Los Angeles, CA, USA
I wrote up the following column for my page and I want to post it here to see what you guys think. I would love to get your thoughts on this.

Puck or No Puck?

For hockey handicappers, a common decision is whether to play a game on the moneyline or with the half puck. Last year, I seemed to make the right decision frequently. I played a lot of games at +1/2 that tied and I played very few games at -1/2 that tied. This year has been a different story. Though I have done well in general playing games at -1/2, my results when choosing between moneyline dogs and the +1/2 have been pitiful.

I think a lot of it depends on if you naturally see value in victories or lines. I generally look for value in lines and I almost always bet underdogs. Therefore, I get a higher line playing -1/2 when betting a fave and when playing the moneyline on a dog, so I usually take it. Over time, it is guaranteed to cost me victories, but the wins I do get will pay off better. Gamblers who value victory more than price are likely to play the moneyline on faves and take the half puck when betting dogs.

I almost never play moneyline favorites in hockey and when I do it is always at an extremely small price. Therefore the bulk of my decisions come from underdogs.

When deciding whether to play the moneyline or the +1/2 on an underdog, I first to a simple mathematical analysis. I will take todays play as an example. The best lines I could find on my play were +1/2 +150 at Game Day and PK +220 at Wagerstreet. With a 0.70 unit difference, that means a win for Florida must be 2.14 times more likely than a tie for it to be worthwhile to play the moneyline.

Looking at previous results, I see Florida with 3 road wins and 2 road ties. Overall they have 7 wins and 2 ties. On the other side, Carolina has 8 home losses and just 2 ties. Overall they have 15 losses with 4 ties. Lets break down how much more likely a Florida win (and Carolina loss) is than a tie:

FLA ROAD: 1.5 times more likely

FLA OVERALL: 3.5 times more likely

CAR HOME: 4.0 times more likely

CAR OVERALL: 3.75 times more likely

It was established earlier that the moneyline was the play as long as I felt a win was at least 2.14 times more likely than a tie. Looking at these numbers, that seems like a solid play, with the caveat that Floridas road results only make the picture a bit more murky.

Hockey is a streaky sport, so what about recent results? Carolina has just one tie in thier last 10, while Florida has none. Four of Carolinas last 10 were at home, and they tied none of those. Five of Floridas last ten were on the road. Based on recent results, we should not expect a tie. That is, of course, unless you believe that these two teams are *due* to tie because they have played almost no ties lately.

Since I am not a big believer in the *due* theory, I chose the moneyline as the better bet. Since I have been so bad in my choices this year, however, I bet the +1/2 +150 today just to be safe.

My question to hockey handicappers is, how do you decide? Do you make it an arbitrary decision based on feel or do you do any kind of analysis similar to what I described above. This year I have been baffled by this problem so I want to get input from other hockey players as to how they go about tackling this.

One final comment is that I am considering just playing both ways for half my money on each play. That really goes against the spirit of the gambler, but perhaps it would be the less stressful alternative.

Stag

Forum Member
Jan 22, 2001
Nick.....
if this was 3 years ago I would take the dog + the half-puck almost all the time. Back then, teams skated 5-on-5 in overtime and the result was almost always a tie and a winning ticket. Teams didn't want to lose a point if they gave up an O.T. goal.
But now, teams have nothing to lose (since they are assured a point with the new rules) and skate 4-on-4. As a result, you are seeing more games DECIDED in overtime on the open ice. So, I now almost always take moneylines for dogs because they're are fewer and fewer ties.
I hope this makes sense.

Stag

Sam

Forum Member
Oct 16, 2001
thats usually only happens when they are from different conferences. When they are in the same one, they dont open it up totally.

phoenix566

Cannabis Sativa
Forum Member
Jun 20, 2001
inside your head
what value do you place on a '1/2 puck'?

someone today told me they view a 1/2 a puck = ~.45

If this were the value I would view getting + .70 a value and probably play on ML.

Conversely if the spread were only .30, the value would lie in taking the 1/2 a puck.

Nick Douglas

Forum Member
Oct 31, 2000
Los Angeles, CA, USA
Thanks for the input, guys. I never really considered the conference rivals aspect of it. Last night the Kings were playing a conference rival in Nashville so maybe that woulda been a good place to take the +1/2.

wigs

Forum Member
Jan 27, 2001
austin, tx,usa
some numbers so far this season
as of 12/13
i only came up with western conference so far:
OT games:
Western Conf. vs Eastern Conf.
24 OT games so far--17 ties, 7 OT winners--70.8% ties

Western Conf. vs Western Conf.-
45 OT games so far--28 ties, 17 OT winners--62.2% ties--

In the same division--
16 OT games involving Western Conf. teams in the same division so far this year-- 12 ties, 4 OT winners--75% ties--

[This message has been edited by wigs (edited 12-13-2001).]

katts

Forum Member
Nov 12, 2000
Quebec PQ, Canada
It's been a long time I haven't posted but here I feel like I must do it... Pretty interesting subject.. I've been asking the question many times myself..

I'll start with this: If you think that draw games happen more often in intra-conference games, well then perhaps you should check out those numbers (data taken from the last 2 years - regular season only, of course):

East vs East:
----------------------------
20.1% of the games go in OT
51.6% of OTs are scoreless
i.e. 10.4% Draw

West vs West:
25.1% of the games go in OT
58.4% of OTs are scoreless
i.e. 14.7% Draw

East vs West:
22.7% of the games go in OT
58.0% of OTs are scoreless
i.e. 13.2% Draw

So what does it prove exactly? Well I guess that it depends of the way you look at it, but my answer is this: basically nothing.

Well then if it doesn't mean anything, how would you explain the %difference between the East and the West you might ask...? Probably because teams like Dallas, Minnesota, San Jose, Nashville and Columbus are (or at least were) playing some very D-oriented hockey, and this will obviously generate more ties. In the eastern conference, it's a whole different story as you have (had) some rather offensive-minded teams such as the Rangers, Atlanta, Tampa Bay and Pittsburgh (of course it's a whole different story this year for the last 2 teams mentionned but you see the point).

So basically, when you compare the % of scoreless OTs in inter-conference games with intra-conference games, you realize that the so-called experts are just puting too much weight on qualitative (non-quantitative) arguments and the only thing it can do is to confuse us, handicappers.

As for the value of the ? puck, well there's no "fixed" value in terms of "dollar". Phoenix was suggesting 0.45 but actually it is not always the case as it will directly vary with the posted TOTAL and the spread. The value of the half puck will increase when the posted total is low and/or when the spread is high, and vice versa.

Finally, as for the choice between "picking" a team and getting (or laying) the half-puck, well betting half a unit on both propositions is a good way to avoid any frustration, but in a more general way, you have to ask yourself this question:

Why do I like this team?

A- Because I think they will generate more goals than what is expected from the linesmaker

In this case, PICK the dog or lay the half puck if betting on the favorite.

B- Because I think they will allow less goals than what is expected from the linesmaker (very often because of a hot goaltender)

Here, getting the half puck (or picking if playing the favorite) seems to be the logical choice.

That being said, good luck to all of you for the rest of the season - I always keep an eye on this forum...

Sports Junkie

Forum Member
Sep 24, 2001
VA
The value of that 1/2 goal as opposed to the ML dog is what I have wondered about. I have never seen that quantified until this post. Thanks for that tidbit, phoenix.

It seems to me that by taking the 1/2 goal you are basically betting for a tie. I generally do not bet on a team because I think they can tie their opponent. I would rather take the ML because if I think the team can win I want the higher payout and I am comfortable with the push if they tie. Perhaps I am oversimplifying my rationale here. I can count on both hands the number of times I have taken +.5 puck line since I have been betting on hockey, and if memory serves all but 1 of those covered SU. Based on my VERY limited sampling I would say that the getting the half goal is not worth it to me.

Bet on MyBookie