QuesTec?

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

ndnfan

certified
Forum Member
Mar 4, 2001
Ohio
SPORTO....I know these 11 have them for sure.

ANA, ARI, BOS, CLE, HOU, KC, MIL, OAK, NYM, NYY, TB

Just be careful on how you use the info. I know some Umps are affected more than others, but it's the pitchers that are sometimes REALLY affected and that's the tricky part. A huge part of pitching is mental and when a pitcher is aware that he's at a park with these UIS Questec machines, he could get extremely rattled if a little threat develops and then all of a sudden he doesn't get that strike call in a crucial situation. It was just a matter of time before a pitcher went off like Schilling did the other day.

Here's the quote from Schilling..."The QuesTec system in this ballpark is a joke," Schilling told reporters. "The umpires have admitted it. They hate it. In the last three starts I've made here, multiple times umpires have said to the catcher, "It's a pitch I want to call a strike but the machine won't let me.' "

Here's an actual quote from Umpire Mike Winters who was part of the crew that day..."Borderline pitches, this machine says they're balls. If I call them a strike and the machine doesn't, I'm getting downgraded," Winters told the San Jose Mercury News. "I've got to worry about my own livelihood.''

Also, overall to me, it doesn't seem to be affecting the more older or veteran umps quite as much. Plenty of articles out there. Just do a search on "UIS" or "Umpire Information system" or "Questec"
Some interesting reads, that's for sure. Actually started looking into this last season, you just never heard much about it till the Schilling incident.

-ndnfan

dude

Forum Member
Nov 6, 2000
Here's the O/U record at home of those 11 teams.

Ana 16-11
Ari 17-12
Bos 15-10
Cle 10-13
Hou 12-15
KC 11-8
Mil 15-12
Oak 12-15
NYM 12-11
NYY 9-16
TB 14-9

Dude :cool: