Question for Nolan Dalla

3fingerstony

Forum Member
Feb 25, 2002
Ontario, Canada
I just read your comments in the free pick section about the officiating in SF/SD. I was wondering if I was the only one who saw this other play or not. They will be showing this replay all day. Its the play where Brees scrambles around & eventually completes a pass to Tim Dwight for a 1st down around the 10 yard line on 4th down. Watch the start of the play & see if the Offensive Tackle #79 of SD doesn't stand up before the snap. The official is standing right there watching the line & doesn't make a call. These plays are called so closely all year that a lot of times you don't even see the lineman move at game speed, just when they show the replay after the official calls the guy's number. It led me to believe that since it was the last minute of the game they were just going to let both teams play. Then a couple plays later they call SF for pass interference in the end zone on an overthrown ball. Yes I lost money on SF, but that's not the whole point. Then just for consistency's sake, they called Teddy brueschki's catch of a ball that deflected off the ground a TD. NFL officiating is a joke. Most of these guys can't keep up with the play. Would appreciate seeing your thoughts on this.

Nolan Dalla

Forum Member
Sep 7, 2000
Washington, DC/Las Vegas, NV
I have to admit I did not see this play. Since I had no action on the 2H of the SFO/SDI game, I was watching it with only minimal interest, so that slipped by me. Sorry I cannot comment on it.

I will agree with you that these officials are incredibibly inconsistent about enforcement. Calls are not made as often in the closing minutes, or in the playoffs. I believe the NFL goes out of its way to AVOID controversy in these high pressure situations -- so they get lax on enforcement. Imagine how enjoyable an NFL game would be to watch if they were called this way throughtout the ENTIRE game? It would truly be left up to the players to determine outcome of games -- and not marginal judgments by cluelss officials.

As to motives -- I believe there are two issues here working against us. First, the NFL WANTS HIGH SCORING GAMES. They think the fans want yards and points. So, they make it dman near impossible to play pass defense. Second, there is a "herd" mentality among NFL officiating crews. Since there are 8 (?) officials on the field, they all think they are not doing thier jobs if they don't make a call or two during the game. If Harry, who is the linesman, makes three calls, then Larry, who is the side judge feels compelled to make a marginal call when he gets the opportunity to show the rest of the crew and the NFL league office that he is doing HIS job. I sometimes wonder if NFL officials who DO NOT throw flags (or rarely throw flags) are scrutinized more by the league for NOT doing their jobs. What this means is -- if every officials throws a yellow flag 2 times in the game, that's 16 penalties. Of course, the head referee who wathes the OL calls more penalties than anyone -- usually close to a dozen flags in any NFL game.

Two more points: My suggestion would be to make it a penalty ONLY if two more more officials see the infraction. One flag (or set of eyes) is NOT enough to destroy a drive or kill a team. It takes TWO officials in total agreement that there has been a "crime." That would cut down on a lot of the marginal calls.

Second, the pass interferance rule is the biggest joke in sports. They call defensive backs for even the slightest contact. Then, consider what happens on HAIL MARY passes. The ball is thrown deep. The defensive backs jump up in the air and COMPLETELY FREAKIN' HAMMER the wide receiver who falls to the ground. There is almost always CONTACT BEFORE THE BALL ARRIVES. But Pass interferanc is NEVER called. So, we get tight enforcement for 59 minutes of a gme, then the defensive backs are suddently allowed to come down on the receivers with a sledgehammer on the final play of the game. Really brilliant. That's "consistency" in the NFL for you.

It's a disgrace.

-- Nolan Dalla

yyz

Under .500
Forum Member
Mar 16, 2000
On the course!
I wanna know why certain td plays have this scenario:

Close call in back of endzone on a pass.......ref standing right there, watches play, and LOOKS TO THE REF COMING IN FROM THE OTHER SIDE, FOR HELP!!!!!!!

The two shrug, and nod, and BLING! He makes the call!

Make a fuhking call, and stand by it! These guys look around for help, like Jim Craig trying to find his dad in Lake Placid!

freelancc

Forum Member
Aug 18, 2002
Nevada
that Teddy Bruski interception play for Patriots was odd..:eek:

I have never seen that one before.. i can not believe the ball would bounce like that off of someones toes..

ouch...:(

3fingerstony

Forum Member
Feb 25, 2002
Ontario, Canada
Thanks for the reply. Good points. All pro sports figure that scoring sells. Also, the 'herd mentality' theory makes a lot of sense.
I guess what it comes down to is handicapping which team is going to benefit from the officials calls.
Tonight that would be St Louis, since the NFL will sell more tickets & get more hype for the Monday Night end of season showdown between the Rams & the 49ers if it still means anything.
I wish you great success & good health.:)

Bet on MyBookie