Question for the group

dopeslayer

Forum Member
Oct 22, 2003
sin city
i have been hearing about USC setting a collegiate record for wionning 3 national championships in succesion. (if they would have won last night, of course)

so i have a question for anyone that can give me the answer.

from 1953-1957 Oklahoma won 47 straight, how in the world could they not win 3 consecutive in that time?

i see that they won 2 in a row but cant seem to find why they didnt win that 3rd.

if someone can inform me it would b of such help

thank you

dope

Last edited:

marine

poker brat
Forum Member
Jul 13, 1999
Fort Worth, TX
Sorry, this was driving me crazy the past month hearing about this alleged "3-peat"

It only would have been REpeat had they won last night. LSU won the BCS Title in 2004. USC got the consolation AP slot, not the national title.

Blackman

Winghead
Forum Member
Aug 31, 2003
New Jersey
Interested in this as well - but there were so many people who crowned their own national championship that the system was very flawed back then.

Here's the breakdown from those years:

Auburn: AP, Football Research, Helms, National Championship Foundation, Poling, Williamson
Michigan St.: Billingsley, Dunkel, Sagarin
Ohio St.: Boand, DeVold, FW, INS, Litkenhous, UPI
Oklahoma: Berryman

Georgia Tech: Berryman
Iowa: Football Research
Oklahoma: AP, Billingsley, Boand, DeVold, Dunkel, FW, Helms, INS, Litkenhous, National Championship Foundation, Sagarin, UPI, Williamson
Tennessee: Sagarin

Michigan St.: Boand
Oklahoma: AP, Berryman, Billingsley, DeVold, Dunkel, Football Research, FW, Helms, INS, Litkenhous, National Championship Foundation, Poling, Sagarin, UPI, Williamson

Ohio St.: AP, Berryman, Boand, DeVold, Football Research*, Helms*, INS, National Championship Foundation*, Poling, Sagarin, Williamson
UCLA: Billingsley, Dunkel, Football Research*, FW, Helms*, Litkenhous, National Championship Foundation*, UPI

Maryland: AP, INS, UPI
Notre Dame: Billingsley, Boand, DeVold, Dunkel, Helms, Litkenhous, National Championship Foundation, Poling, Sagarin, Williamson
Oklahoma: Berryman, Football Research

So obviously these titles are all over the place. I guess the question is why in 1954 they weren't recognized by anyone. Also pretty interesting that there was no consensus champ any of these years in the past, it's probably just like this board, someone always has to be different.

INtheBLUE

Orgn Donor
Forum Member
Aug 30, 2005
Birmingham
marine said:
Sorry, this was driving me crazy the past month hearing about this alleged "3-peat"

It only would have been REpeat had they won last night. LSU won the BCS Title in 2004. USC got the consolation AP slot, not the national title.

Agreed, but I thought they won the assistant coaches poll that year. If they are a BCS team and won the BCS title then it counts but Auburn won the Opelika news National championship and we see how much respect they get then. Kinda like winning the NIT tourney in Hoops, you get a nice trophy and that's it.

Scott4USC

Fight On!
Forum Member
Sep 11, 2002
The only problem I have with the OU streak is they did not beat many ranked opponents. 2nd, they did not have to play top team in the country in their bowl games. Much much tougher to have long win streak now vs back in the day.

DerekNJND

Registered
Forum Member
Oct 21, 2005
Jersey
marine said:

It is looked back upon, even by the media as a SHARE of the national title. Storied programs like OSU and ND have shared titles that are counted in their overall amount

Thats the media's spin, and the media were the ones hyping the possibility of the 3 peat. So consider the source...
FWIW

Sun Tzu

Forum Member
Nov 10, 2003
Houston, Texas
If you look it up many schools claim titles they shouldnt. USC has at least 3 that are incredibly bogus - just 2 years ago they decided to give themselves the 1939 title.

DerekNJND

Registered
Forum Member
Oct 21, 2005
Jersey
I say if they wanna claim the 03 title, let em. They both had 1 loss, and the AP poll decided our champions for many many years. Theres too much controversy surrounding the BCS to claim or disclaim it either way.

Like I said though, if the media acknowledges it, it may as well be in the history books. I'm not condoning that view, but evaluating it FWIW. When it comes to sports records, the media's view is really the only relevant view to adopt

Bet on MyBookie