Ranking SEC's best players by position

AR182

Forum Member
Nov 9, 2000
Scottsdale,AZ
i'm not a scout but i think stafford is a better pure passer than tebow...so i would put him first...

Florida figures to have some of the best in conference

By Matt Hayes

Quarterback
1. Tim Tebow, Florida
2. Matthew Stafford, Georgia
3. John Parker Wilson, Alabama
4. Casey Dick, Arkansas
5. Jonathan Crompton, Tennessee
Quick thoughts: A down year in the league. Once you get past Tebow and Stafford -- who will be among the top five in the nation this fall -- it gets shaky. Dick didn't play that poorly last fall, and with Bobby Petrino's coaching, will have a big season.

Running back
1. Knowshon Moreno, Georgia
2. Keiland Williams, LSU
3. Arian Foster, Tennessee
4. Anthony Dixon, Mississippi State
5. Terry Grant, Alabama
Quick thoughts: I watched the Florida and Auburn games again over the last month, and Moreno's freshman season looks more impressive with each replay. Williams, after sharing time the last two seasons, is primed for a huge year.

Wide receiver
1. Percy Harvin, Florida
2. Brandon LaFell, LSU
3. Kenny McKinley, South Carolina
4. Lucas Taylor, Tennessee
5. Mohamed Massaquoi, Georgia
Quick thoughts: Harvin still has to recover from significant offseason foot surgery (it's not a given), and the dynamic LaFell finally becomes LSU's No.1 receiver. The problem: the guy throwing to him isn't named Perrilloux. After three inconsistent seasons, watch how well Massaquoi plays with NFL money on the line.

Tight end
1. Cornelius Ingram, Florida
2. Jared Cook, South Carolina
3. Richard Dixon, LSU
4. Andrew Davie, Arkansas
5. Tripp Chandler, Georgia
Quick thoughts: None of these guys block that well, but Ingram and Cook have terrific hands and athletic ability. Davie, who wasn't used much last fall in Arkansas' run-oriented scheme, will be heavily relied on this season.

Offensive line
1. Andre Smith, Alabama
2. Michael Oher, Ole Miss
3. Jonathan Luigs, Arkansas
4. Herman Johnson, LSU
5. Anthony Parker, Tennessee
Quick thoughts: Five maulers. There's not a better starting five in any other conference. All five could be first round picks, and No.6 -- Georgia sophomore Trinton Sturdivant -- is rising fast.

Kicker
1. Colt David, LSU
2. Leigh Tiffin, Alabama
3. Daniel Lincoln, Tennessee
4. Wes Byrum, Auburn
5. Alex Tejada, Arkansas
Quick thoughts: Frankly, I don't want any of these guys lining up with the game on the line. David struggled mightily early in his career, but appears to have eliminated the yips.

Defensive line
1. Greg Hardy, Ole Miss
2. Antonio Coleman, Auburn
3. Ricky Jean-Francois, LSU
4. Jeremy Jarmon, Kentucky
5. Gino Atkins, Georgia
Quick thoughts: One SEC coach told me Hardy could have 16 sacks if he played hard every down. Coleman quietly had 8.5 sacks and 18 tackles for loss last fall, and it took Jean-Francois all of one game last year -- when he dominated the BCS title game -- to show what could/will be this fall.

Linebacker
1. Brandon Spikes, Florida
2. Rolando McClain, Alabama
3. Jasper Brinkley, South Carolina
4. Rico McCoy, Tennessee
5. Jamar Chaney, Mississippi State
Quick thoughts: McClain is a beast; he's Jasper Brinkley before Brinkley tore his ACL last year. Spikes is the complete run/cover package, but was pushed around last fall because Florida lacked beef on the interior line.

Defensive back
1. Eric Berry, Tennessee
2. Rashad Johnson, Alabama
3. Captain Munnerlyn, South Carolina
4. Derek Pegues, Mississippi State
5. D.J. Moore, Vanderbilt
Quick thoughts: If Tennessee doesn't fool around too much with Berry on offense, he will develop into one of the top safeties in the nation. Munnerlyn and Pegues are ultimate risk/reward players.

Punter
1. Ryan Shoemaker, Auburn
2. Britton Colquitt, Tennessee*
3. Brian Mimbs, Georgia
4. Jeremy Davis, Arkansas
5. Ryan Succop, South Carolina
Quick thoughts: Shoemaker had a terrific freshman season, and by the end of the year was a legit weapon for the Auburn defense. Succop may give up punting duties this fall to concentrate on placekicking and kickoffs. * = Suspended the first five games of this season.

? 2008 The Sporting News

Dice34

Off parole
Forum Member
Dec 18, 2004
D.O.C.
Is this best in conference or best pro prospects....I'll go under the premise its the former

Just to argue a bit, I wouldn't put Stafford over Tebow, afterall its the best at each position, I don't care how it gets done as long as it gets done and thats putting the ball in the endzone, nobody in the sec is better at doing that then Tebow....3300 yds passing, 900 yds rushing and a total of 55 tds....Stafford may be the better pro prospect, but in the college game hes not ahead of Tebow

Now on to Matt Hayes.....this list basically tells me who had good seasons last year...I can tell he put a ton of work in this column:rolleyes: .....this is basically looking at the rest of the stat leaders who didn't enter the nfl draft or graduate.....

AR182

Forum Member
Nov 9, 2000
Scottsdale,AZ
Is this best in conference or best pro prospects....I'll go under the premise its the former

Just to argue a bit, I wouldn't put Stafford over Tebow, afterall its the best at each position, I don't care how it gets done as long as it gets done and thats putting the ball in the endzone, nobody in the sec is better at doing that then Tebow....3300 yds passing, 900 yds rushing and a total of 55 tds....Stafford may be the better pro prospect, but in the college game hes not ahead of Tebow

Now on to Matt Hayes.....this list basically tells me who had good seasons last year...I can tell he put a ton of work in this column:rolleyes: .....this is basically looking at the rest of the stat leaders who didn't enter the nfl draft or graduate.....

of course you're right dice..the list is the best in college not best prospect...sorry my bad...

i get the sporting news each week & read hayes..but its just his opinion & i take it fwiw..something to read & something to talk about...

Cie

Registered
Forum Member
Apr 30, 2003
New Orleans

Maybe this is a who's who of remaining statistical leaders from last season at QB, but at 1st glance it does not appear to be the case for OL and DL.

Ricky-Jean Francois played only 1 game last season for LSU, yet he is on the list. BTW, Hayes is dead on with this guy. He is a freak (actually Freak is his nickname given by teammates), and he will excell this season and on Sundays.

I will also note that Hayes lists Herman Johnson as LSU's top OL, yet Ciron Black has performed better than Herman throughout their careers at LSU.

As for Stafford/tebow argument, you are spot on imo.

Dice34

Off parole
Forum Member
Dec 18, 2004
D.O.C.
Yeah, sorry Cie, I should of said I was basically talking about the skill positions......

what is your take with him having Williams 2nd on the RB list??? IS he gonna get the bulk of the carries?? I always wondered why charles scott didnt get the ball more and what about Richard Murphy who had a big spring game....looks like another crowded back field.......

same thing with Auburn....Tate/Lester/Fanin.....I would like to see Fanin emerge, he may be better suited for the spread attack

If I was doing backfields

1. GA-Moreno/King
2. Fla- Rainey/Moody/Harvin
3. LSU- Williams/Scott/Murphy/Holliday
4. Ten- Foster/Hardesty/Creer
5. Aub- Tate/Lester/Fanin
6. Miss- Eason/Davis--- My wildcard

rawli007

lives
Forum Member
Jan 28, 2008
Alabama
Thanks for the lists AR182... i think youve done a great job and r right on w/ many of the players.

If i made changes to any position it would have to be the kickers... I would have to bump Leigh Tiffin to the bottom of the pack, but u said it best.... i wouldnt want to depend on any of 'em. I like David and Byrum as my top two.... think Byrum has a solid season this year.

Not a knock by any means... again, really enjoy your lists.. Keep 'em comin. :brows: :brows:

AR182

Forum Member
Nov 9, 2000
Scottsdale,AZ
Thanks for the lists AR182... i think youve done a great job and r right on w/ many of the players.

If i made changes to any position it would have to be the kickers... I would have to bump Leigh Tiffin to the bottom of the pack, but u said it best.... i wouldnt want to depend on any of 'em. I like David and Byrum as my top two.... think Byrum has a solid season this year.

Not a knock by any means... again, really enjoy your lists.. Keep 'em comin. :brows: :brows:

thanks for the props rawl...appreciate it.

at this point i have no opinion on players....i'm awaiting for the pre-season magazines to come out & read up on the players on the various teams.

hopefully dice or cie will see your post & be able to comment on it...

Last edited:

rawli007

lives
Forum Member
Jan 28, 2008
Alabama
ok so im an idiot... didnt realize this was a list by Matt Hayes, not yourself... just took a quick glance.

still an incredible list by Matt Hayes.. did a great job, but hes wwwwwaaaaayyyyyyy off having Leigh Tiffin at #2 on that kicker list.

Dice34

Off parole
Forum Member
Dec 18, 2004
D.O.C.
thanks for the props rawl...appreciate it.

at this point i have no opinion on players....i'm awaiting for the pre-season magazines to come out & read up on the players on the various teams.

hopefully dice or cie will see your post & be able to comment on it...

I can't wait for the Bible aka the Phil Steele College Football magazine....love that one....great info all the way around especially for col. fantasy......I'm going for a 4-peat, in a league that will be 4-years old.......

did any of them hit the shelves yet AR?....I think it was Lindy's that came out in late May last year

AR182

Forum Member
Nov 9, 2000
Scottsdale,AZ
I can't wait for the Bible aka the Phil Steele College Football magazine....love that one....great info all the way around especially for col. fantasy......I'm going for a 4-peat, in a league that will be 4-years old.......

did any of them hit the shelves yet AR?....I think it was Lindy's that came out in late May last year

i agree with you about lindy's magazine...i'm pretty sure that i picked that up last year at the end of may...& picked up steele's magazine last year in june...

rawli007

lives
Forum Member
Jan 28, 2008
Alabama

yea, Steele's hits the shelf in June. :) I even called philsteele*** and tried to order it early...

Bet on MyBookie