Removing Cigarette Smell From A House

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

NIEM36

Child Please
Forum Member
Feb 6, 2002
chicago
Does anyone know, or have a solution to this. My mom passed away a few months ago, and after getting her house ready for sale, the first two showing we had people commented about the smell of smoke. I have read about some products on the web, but some to leave a harsh smell and sticky residue behind. Looking for some help please.

lowell

Forum Member
Jul 6, 2003
Change duct work. Run AC with windows open for a few days.
I have heard coffee grounds and apples can help absorb smell.
One problem could be that if you cover up the smell and it returns shortly after closing there could be issue with disclosure on seller disclosure form.
I would do my best to remove smell and disclose to buyers someone smoked in the home.
Who knows next buyers could be smoker themselves.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

SixFive

bonswa
Forum Member
Mar 12, 2001
BG, KY, USA
Paint and replace carpets as mentioned. Alternatively for less money, you can try to wash the walls, clean the carpets, and get rid of any old couch or fabric chair that can hold odor. I had a friend whose uncle smoked four packs a day. The house never smelled bad, and what his aunt did was spray constantly with Lysol, so that will help too. Also burn candles, and you can try a good air purifier.

yyz

Under .500
Forum Member
Mar 16, 2000
On the course!
I read a few months ago, that "smoke smell" was the number one killer in re-sale of a house.

Wish you the best. I know my mom and sister's house just reeks of that shit.

NIEM36

Child Please
Forum Member
Feb 6, 2002
chicago
The house is completely empty. Removing the carpet, and re-painting, I was hoping would be a last resort. I am hoping if I was the walls and ceilings that will help some. I am also have the carpets steam cleaned. I guess I could really hope for a buyer that smokes already, and does not notice the smell.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

LuvThemDogs

Forum Member
Dec 2, 2005
I had smoke smell in my kitchen from burning something on the stove and it was a pretty thick and lingering smoke odor. In every cupboard. I read to put white distilled vinegar in bowls in the cupboards and then boiling white distilled vinegar on the stove for a long while would absorb the odor. It worked very well for me.

Last edited:

Looselugs

Forum Member
May 5, 2005
I had smoke smell in my kitchen from burning something on the stove and it was think smelling. In every cupboard. I read to put white distilled vinegar in bowls in the cupboards and then boiling white distilled vinegar on the stove for a long while would absorb the odor. It worked very well for me.

:0074 solid info. I was going to mention vinegar . I don`t smoke but have dogs and try to keep out a cup full around all the time.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

PAChicky

Bee
Forum Member
Feb 7, 2013
Central Pa
www.facebook.com
You could also offer a carpet and paint allowance to the buyer. My mom just bought a house and they gave her $4k towards that because the woman was a smoker. It more than covered her paint and carpet expense.

NIEM36

Child Please
Forum Member
Feb 6, 2002
chicago
The wife and I went over there yesterday night, and washed all of the walls and ceilings. Then we re-cleaned the carpets. The funny thing is neither myself, the wife, the realtor, or our neighbors can smell smoke. The house has been empty for about 3 months, maybe it smells a little musty, because it is difficult to leave the windows open while no one is there. I guess some people have super sniffers.

PA- that is the exact idea I was thinking about doing. If people continue to notice the smell, I will offer some sort of discount for new carpet, and paint. It does not make sense for me to do it, as the chances are the new home owners will be changing the room colors to what they want.

I really hope this goes quick. The entire house inside and out has pretty much been remodeled.

Scrapman

Rollingdembones
Forum Member
Jan 6, 2013
south east PA
before painting the walls get a steam claener to remove the smoke odor with a deodorizer in it that's made to kill smoke odor remove all the fabric furniture in the house.

Carpets really deep steam cleaned then when dry use a dry chemical deodorizer and heavy vacuum to suck out all the odors.

also on brezzy day open all windows and use a strong fan to pull air through the house

if this fails to remove the smoke odor i'll be damnned because it worked here in my house.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

SixFive

bonswa
Forum Member
Mar 12, 2001
BG, KY, USA
I bet scrapman smokes like a mother fucker in his house. I can picture a 4 pack a day habit that includes lighting the new cig off the old. Probably also smokes Pall Mall, Marlboro reds, non-filtered Camels, or perhaps just the generic full-flavored floor sweepings offered at his local quick-mart. Scrappy probably wakes up in the night to smoke a few, and he probably has cigarette burns in his mattress.

Wineguy

Forum Member
Feb 7, 2000
Atlanta, GA
I bet scrapman smokes like a mother fucker in his house. I can picture a 4 pack a day habit that includes lighting the new cig off the old. Probably also smokes Pall Mall, Marlboro reds, non-filtered Camels, or perhaps just the generic full-flavored floor sweepings offered at his local quick-mart. Scrappy probably wakes up in the night to smoke a few, and he probably has cigarette burns in his mattress.

:142smilie:142smilie

Regardless, all good advice above.

ImFeklhr

Raconteur
Forum Member
Oct 3, 2005
San Francisco

Go easy on him, this was actually his most coherent post in ages. :0074 :toast:

Sportsaholic

Jack's Mentor
Forum Member
Jan 18, 2000
Crustacean Nation
I had smoke smell in my kitchen from burning something on the stove and it was a pretty thick and lingering smoke odor. In every cupboard. I read to put white distilled vinegar in bowls in the cupboards and then boiling white distilled vinegar on the stove for a long while would absorb the odor. It worked very well for me.

Tried the White Vinegar on some problem areas at my moms house....Laid out a couple of small bowls and within two day you couldn't pick up on any odor.....very noticeable difference, thanks for the suggestion.....:0008