Rex Grossman and Da Bears - Can You Believe

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

dalygolfer20

Forum Member
Apr 27, 2005
South Beach, Miami
Printed Elsewhere::::

I am willing to declare that a team some thought would struggle to win three games all season can win three in the playoffs and capture its first Super Bowl since it last fielded a famed defense.

Rex Grossman is good enough, and because of that, the Chicago Bears will win it all.

The truth is that it is a lot easier to declare the Super Bowl-winning quarterback is going to be someone like Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Eli Manning, Carson Palmer, Jake Delhomme or Matt Hasselbeck ? anyone but Grossman, whom almost no one knows anything about.

But Rex Grossman is good enough, even if he won't impact a game offensively like Shaun Alexander, Chad Johnson, Tiki Barber, Steve Smith or the Denver Broncos' offensive line.

Rex Grossman is good enough even if he spent fourth months rehabbing from a broken left ankle, sat behind Kyle Stinkin' Orton on the depth chart until the fans booed loudly in mid-December and played only two games, throwing for all of one touchdown.

Rex Grossman is good enough to lead the Bears to three consecutive victories against the roughest, toughest competition in the NFL, even though he hasn't managed to stay healthy enough to play more than three games in a season since leaving the University of Florida in 2003. The knee that wiped out last season and the ankle that took the first 13 games of this season are healed, though. Maybe he is due for some durability.

Rex Grossman is good enough despite all the things that say he isn't because three weeks ago he clearly energized Chicago's offense. No, the numbers weren't eye-popping. But the Bears were winning with Orton, who couldn't seem to actually complete a pass. Grossman can do that. He can throw with accuracy and zip. He can heave it downfield. He can open up the running game for Thomas Jones.

Rex Grossman is good enough because he has plenty of confidence and just enough humility to know the Bears are not going to win the Super Bowl due to their video-game defense. He knows this is about ball control and getting a few points. He knows it isn't about him.

Rex Grossman is good enough because he can get the Bears 21 points a game in the playoffs, and if Chicago gets 21 points, no one is going to beat the Bears. Not high-scoring Indy, not dangerous Seattle, not the two-time defending champion Patriots.

Rex Grossman is good enough because the Bears' defense is undeniably good enough. So good enough that Chicago's Super Bowl run could duplicate the Baltimore Ravens' title drive in the 2001 playoffs in which the Ray Lewis-led crew cruised to a championship with Trent Dilfer at quarterback.

Rex Grossman is good enough to be Trent Dilfer. This isn't asking much, but it is all that needs to be asked.

Rex Grossman is good enough to ride a defense that (ignoring Sunday's 34-10 loss to Minnesota in which the Bears' starters were mostly rested) allowed just 11.2 points a game this season. Against teams with winning records, the average was 11.7. Against playoff teams, it was 13.4.

Rex Grossman is good enough to allow Chicago's dynamic defensive front four to get a chance to stop the running of an Alexander or the passing of a Manning, something the Bears can do better than any other team in the league. They can rush the passer without the blitz, stack the box without exposing the secondary, and confuse and crash and basically do what they do.

Rex Grossman is good enough that the Bears are much different than the team that started 1-3 or was so one-dimensional that it had to win games 13-3 and get points off turnovers.

Rex Grossman is good enough to lead scoring drives in the playoffs. Not as many as either Peyton or Eli, not as beautifully as Palmer or Jake Plummer and not as consistently as Hasselbeck or Brady.

You'd rather pick one of those guy's teams to win the Super Bowl. You'd feel more confident then.

But Rex Grossman doesn't have to be as good as them for the Bears to win the Super Bowl.

Rex Grossman just has to be good enough.

tcon142

Forum Member
Oct 16, 2005
Black Hills
I hope you're right daly, I had a buddy of mine put a unit on da bears to win superbowl for me when he was in vegas last month IT was right after the game they brought grossman back in. I figured with that D all they need is to be able to score points and he has the arm to do it! good article

alb

Forum Member
Oct 30, 1999
Gibraltar
So I take it you like Chicago? Well I'm riding some $$$ on them to at least make the SB but I can't see them winning it. Love the defensive angle in any sport but theirs would have to be as good as the Ravens a few years back to beat the offense of teams like Seahawks and the Colts.....and I'm sorry but it ain't. We can hope for a break but we'll need 2 to lift the trophy.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

tcon142

Forum Member
Oct 16, 2005
Black Hills
It's more the Atlanta game when lovie smith put grossman in at half. Seemed like the bears woke up. De still wins big games and if you have a guy who can throw to some reputable receivers, anything can happen. They seemed to gain confidence throughout the year, but it seemed to be evident after grossman got under center. Made the bet on a hunch and the odds, a bit of a stretch going all the way but on bets like that I think it's go big or go home. It'd be a nice pay off. Couldn't remember the odds of them winning the nfc at the place my buddy put the bet in at but it wasn't great, and if I win I'd have to head back out to Vegas to collect, so I figure I might as well make it worth my while. glta Alb

IE

Administrator
Forum Admin
Forum Member
Mar 15, 1999
it was a tough weekend this past one for

quarterbacks making their first playoff starts.

Simms /Tampa Bay
Leftwich /Jacksonville
Manning /NY Giants
Palmer /Cincinnati (with an asterik with this one)

maybe the extra prep time will bode well for grossman, lets hope he does not make short fields for carolina if your betting the bears...the inferred line right around 17 pts for the bears to score...very possible.

soul train

Go Mets!
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2005
The Panthers are peaking at the right time

Da Bears are done...Panthers move on

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

tcon142

Forum Member
Oct 16, 2005
Black Hills
you guys both bring up great points, lot going against the bears with rook at qb and the peaking panthers, not to mention the chip they have on their shoulder from their last visit to soldier field when they may have been a little over confident. Weather shouldn't be as balmy as it was in ny and I have to think the bears will get a couple to's of their own.

Colonel_JB

Forum Member
Nov 30, 2005
I feel that the Bears D is as good as any. 13-17 will be enough for them to win against the panthers while the panthers will be hard pressed to get many points. Yeah, Smith may generate some extra attitude for them on offense, I just see Urlacher and the Bears shutting down Delhomme for the second time. If the Bears do make it to the super bowl I would be amazed if they could somehow control Indy's offense or magically put up 20 something points against their d. Only time will tell and good luck on your futures. I personally like the bears and the skins to cause some noise this postseason.

dalygolfer20

Forum Member
Apr 27, 2005
South Beach, Miami
Steve Smith's ability to dominate gives Carolina the Offensive edge

Chicago has the number one DEFENSE in Football

Special teams are equal

Lovie's first playoff apperance, so Fox has the edge

Chicago's first home playoff game in four years (Intangible bears)

Muhsin Muhammed...The Ex. Panther will be READY TO ROCK....

The Bears allowed 61 points at home, the fewest by any club in a season since the 16-game schedule was installed in 1978..

If the Bears do what they have done to get here, play great defense, run and protect the ball, that will take a lot of pressure of off of Rex... But that will all depend on how well Thomas Jones plays against a defense that held Tiki Barber to 41 yards and forced Eli Manning into four turnovers... Grossman will be nervous,,,No Brainer, but if he keeps his poise they should pull this off...

There are also many other obstacles like DeShaun Foster (151 yards against Giants and 165 a week earlier against the Falcons)
Jake Delhomme and Steve Smith and a Defense lead by Julius Peppers and Chris Gamble...

Last time they met it was Chicago winning and ending a six game win streak for the Panthers. Delhomme was sacked 8 times...

This should be a HUGE DEFENSIVE GAME and come down to, special teams or the last team who can get within field goal range.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

The Jets Fan

Forum Member
Aug 17, 2004
Def- Even carolina more sacks and better t/o ratio
Off- Car
Coaching- Car I dont care if lovie was C of Y! first playoffs
speacial teams - even
Team on a roll- Car
Result Car 24 Dabears 6 Bank it!

dalygolfer20

Forum Member
Apr 27, 2005
South Beach, Miami
Def- Even carolina more sacks and better t/o ratio
Off- Car
Coaching- Car I dont care if lovie was C of Y! first playoffs
speacial teams - even
Team on a roll- Car
Result Car 24 Dabears 6 Bank it!

CAROLINA = 24 :mj07:

The entire season, not one team scored as many points against the Bears until the last game.. ANd the last game to all playoff teams,,,we could find there starters WHERE ???????

Calm everyone... Calm Everyone... :chairshot

Chicago -
in games where line is +3 to -3 W-6 L-2
as a favorite W-4 L-1
as home favorite of 3 pts or less W-2 L-0
in a home game of total 32 or less W-3 L-1
against conf. opponents W-8 L-2
against NFC South Division Opponents W-3 L-0

Carolina -
games where line is +3 to -3 W-6 L-3
against NFC North Division W-1 L-3
revenging a loss W-2 L-2
when playing against a winning team W-4 L-3
32 or less total points W-0 L-0
35 or less total points W-0 L-1
against conf. opponents W-7 L-6
when playing on 6 days or less rest W-8 L-5

Bears 16 Panthers 10

Last edited:
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

dalygolfer20

Forum Member
Apr 27, 2005
South Beach, Miami
You were RIGHT.... I was waayyyyy wrong...

I am very surprised....

They let Mr. Smith do whatever he wanted...

They both scored way more than I thought and probably a lot of others as well... When the line is that low, your suppose to take the under... I guess it was a trap... Carolina looked really good...

Well it's back to the Famous Grouse boys !!!!!!!!!!!

God Luck to all..