Road teams?

scrubbo

Forum Member
Jan 16, 2001
charlotte, nc, usa
Not one announcer last night could come up with a reason for the road dominance.( I say dominance because when the road teams win more or as many games as the home teams thats dominance) Hockey is the only sport like this and I don't know why. The only reason I could come up with is that Pussy and Hockey don't mix. ( unless its strange pussy?) Does anyone have some insight to this road phemomenon?

Ptarmigan

Forum Member
Jul 14, 1999
Westminster, CO USA
Hockey has become very technical in the last 10 years. It's all about positioning and execution. The road team doesn't have the fan distractions or emotion of home to deal with. They therefore concentrate on execution and the technical aspects of the game. The home team can become wrapped up in the emotion of the game and the outside distractions and not stick to their gameplan.

Also, strange might have something to do with it...
wink.gif

Go Avs!

[This message has been edited by Ptarmigan (edited 06-08-2001).]

maverick2112

Forum Member
Jan 16, 2001
Wyoming
My theory is that hockey is unlike basketball and foots where the ref are'nt influenced by the crowd and thus the road team doesnt get screwed on the calls as much.

katts

Forum Member
Nov 12, 2000
Quebec PQ, Canada
I sometimes like to compare the Devils to some WWF supertars like Triple H, Vince McMahon and Kurt Angle. Sorry for those who don't like pro-wrestling but that's the best example I've found. They use all the energy inside the building to their advantage, whether it's positive or negative energy, and usually, the more "boos" they get the stronger they feel and the more confident their voices sound when they talk on the microphone.

The Devils are arrogant (I must admit) and there's nothing they like more but to shut the crowd up and making them "boo". They love that. I can't explain the phenomenon but I can undertand it. Some people will be at their best when they get cheers, some will be at their best when they get boos. The Devils like the boos. They feel at ease - to not say 'strong' - with it.

I know this - or I - might sound pretty stupid and unclear to many people but I don't have any problem with that, as I experienced the whole thing many times myself and have a friend who's a "top" at using negative energy to his advantage. I guess it all depends of your personality and it looks like most of the Devils players have this kind of personality. They prefer the 'boos' over the 'cheers'.

kcwolf

Forum Member
Aug 1, 2000
Iowa City
You have all made very good points gentlemen, and have to agree with all of them.

Since I wager on all the major sports (hockey only during the playoffs) I think maverick really nailed the most important reason.

The officiating in this great sport seems so much better and evens the playing field for the road team.

What? Better officiating in the NHL? That defies all logic when you think about it. Hockey is by far the fastest, roughest sport I wager on. That should equate to many more bad calls, when mear mortals are trying to keep up with such a quick pace.

I have to commend the work of the zebras.

I also feel the NHL is much less corrupt than most other sports I wager on, but I'll save that for a book someone else might want to write.

Good luck in your plays today and I hope we see a great game 7. Old Ray holding the Cup, that would be sweet!

kcwolf

mw

Forum Member
Sep 29, 2000
dallas
The road team has certainly done well the last three finals, but going back further you need to consider the fact that there were 4 straight sweeps in the finals from '95 to '98. Each time, of course, the home team won two and lost two.

How to explain the last 3 years? As for the officiating, there are officials (particularly Koharski) who favor the visitors, but I don't think that's it.

Bet on MyBookie