Blitz

Hopeful
Forum Member
Jan 6, 2002
North of Titletown AKA Boston
Rockies talking to Red Sox about trading Helton
By Buster Olney
ESPN The Magazine

The Colorado Rockies are in high-level talks to trade first baseman Todd Helton to the Boston Red Sox in a deal that could send third baseman Mike Lowell and right-handed reliever Julian Tavarez to Colorado.

According to the Denver Post, which first reported the talks in Saturday morning editions, discussions between the two clubs are expected to resume Monday or Tuesday. Helton has a complete no-trade clause, but has reportedly told the Rockies he would be willing to accept a trade to Boston.

According to major league sources, conversations between the Red Sox and Rockies actually opened last fall, and at that time, one of the sides felt that there could be an acceptable framework to make a deal.

The conversation resumed at the ownership level about 10 days ago and has moved forward from there. Both sides are in virtual agreement on the dollars, with the Rockies likely responsible for slightly less than half of Helton's remaining six-year, $90.1 million guaranteed contract.

In the current proposal, the Red Sox would send Lowell, Tavarez and prospects to the Rockies. But the identity of the prospects could hold up the deal: The Rockies want relief pitchers Craig Hansen and Manny Delcarmen, while the Red Sox do not want to give up either at this time.

While Helton's power numbers have declined in recent years -- he has dropped from 33 home runs and a .630 slugging percentage in 2003 to 15 homers and a career-low .476 slugging percentage last season -- he still hit .302 with 165 hits, 40 of them doubles, and 81 RBIs in 2006.

Helton, 33, a 10-year veteran, is a career .333 hitter and three-time Gold Glove winner. He is a five-time All-Star, won the 2000 NL batting title with a .372 average and was runner-up to Kerry Wood in NL Rookie of the Year voting in 1998.

But he comes at a price the Rockies are apparently no longer willing to pay.

Helton has six years remaining on his contract -- the remainder of a nine-year, $141.5 million extension he signed in 2003 -- leaving the Red Sox as as one of the few teams in the majors who could afford him. Rockies owner Charlie Monfort recently said he does not want to tie up so much of his team's payroll on one player -- at present Helton would take up $16.6 million of the Rockies' projected $55 million payroll -- and the Rockies unsuccessfully tried to deal Helton to the Los Angeles Angels last month.

Lowell, who came to Boston last year from Florida in the Josh Beckett trade, hit .284 last season, while Tavarez, a middle reliever and occasional starter, went 5-4 with a 4.47 ERA.

S

smoke & mirrors

"While Helton's power numbers have declined in recent years -- he has dropped from 33 home runs and a .630 slugging percentage in 2003 to 15 homers and a career-low .476 slugging percentage last season "

~the writer didn't mention that everybody's production declined in colorado (where helton plays half his games) due to the humidor. i think thie would be a great move for the sox...

Dayad

Sic 'em
Forum Member
Dec 14, 2005
NM
While I agree it would be a good deal for the Red Sox...my question is WHY would the Rockies trade him for Lowell (1 year left on his contract) and for Tavarez who just sucks and is probably overpaid. Not to mention Colorado is picking nearly half of Helton's pay. Makes no sense to me at all. Boston would have to throw in a prospect at least one.

Dayad

Sic 'em
Forum Member
Dec 14, 2005
NM
Colorado made a wise decision to nix the idea. Boston tried to get something for nothing. Good for Colorado

IntenseOperator

DeweyOxburger
Forum Member
Sep 16, 2003
Chicago
The Rockies are in a bad spot. No matter what they do, they will be at the wim of the teamm they are dealing with. In trying to unload as much of his salary as possible, they have to take whatever deal they can. Helton has already told them what few teams he would be willing to be traded to. I'm sure the Rockies already tried to trade with others. I'm also sure Boston knows this. A lot of teams in any sport will pick up high paid veterans with a year left just to be done with them at the end of the year and not locked in to a big money long term deal. Especially if the Rockies are in a rebuilding mode.

Bet on MyBookie