Running

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

vinnyhockey

Forum Member
Mar 13, 2003
Newfoundland, Canada
have been running for over four month. have increased my distance to about 8K a day. Purchased a pair of Nike running shoes at the time I started and I am now experiencing calf pain.

someone told me it may be that my shoes are now worn out.

I use Nike as I have narrow feet.

Anyone have any advice and recommendations on shoes. I have looked at the Nike 360. They are a bit expensive but I would get them to avoid the pain.

Thanks,

Vinny

The Boys

Registered
Forum Member
Oct 17, 2001
Royal Oak, Michigan, a Detroit Suburb
I run 4 times a week, short distances maybe 1.5 to 2 miles at a time, doc said I need the cardio to keep blood pressure in check, seems to help. Anyway, I had the same problem so a friend said you need to go to this running store that I go to because this is what they do. They will fit you with the right shoe for your weight, they way you walk, and all that stuff that the pros do. The guy that helped me calculated the distance and how often I run and he told me the inner part of my shoes would break down in 4 months and that I should get a new pair at least 3 times per year. I've followed his suggestion and I have not had any trouble since..........except sometimes just being to lazy to get out and run............give it a try, good luck.........My shoes are by Brooks.

SixFive

bonswa
Forum Member
Mar 12, 2001
BG, KY, USA
I measure out a 13 triple A. Extremely narrow feet. I have very good luck with New Balance, and they come in a Narrow sizing. Since you're running around 5 miles, I would check on a pair of New Balance (mine are 991s, generally, the higher the number the better/more expensive). I also saw a commercial on tv this week about a new line/technology of New Balance. Also, if you have a store like the Boys is mentioning, that's probably a good idea. A good pair might last you 6 months, but more likely, you'll need a new pair 3 or 4 times a year.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

ajoytoy

carpe vitam
Forum Member
Mar 30, 2003
(919)
look for a New Balance store near you...they will have you walk and figure your gait and the correct shoe for the type of activities you are doing...NB's are the best one's out there and they are what we recommend for patients that are having foot pronation problems and/or ordered orthotics either by us or by a podiatrist

gl

2muchchalk

Late Night
Forum Member
Aug 3, 2002
nj
i could not run for a long time bc i was experiencing pain in my feet. (i have had tons of problems with them in the past.) i went to a foot doctor and he recommended custom inserts for your feet. (insurance should cover it too). Having getting those custom inserts, i can run more times a week and i experience less pain. It is really something you should look into.

THE KOD

Registered
Forum Member
Nov 16, 2001
Victory Lane
vinnyhockey said:
have been running for over four month. have increased my distance to about 8K a day. I started and I am now experiencing calf pain.

Thanks,

Vinny

vinny

My advise would be to stop running so friggin much as its getting you no where.

You wonder why your calfs are caving in on you.

Shoes ..... :142smilie :142smilie

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

THE KOD

Registered
Forum Member
Nov 16, 2001
Victory Lane
vinny

seriously do you know how many people in Canada die while running, jogging, etc ?

Its a fact, I could look it up if you want.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

THE KOD

Registered
Forum Member
Nov 16, 2001
Victory Lane
vinnyhockey - I decided to get the opinion of a real on line doctor to answer the calf question.
...................................................................................

KOD: Why would vinnyhockey die suddenly?

Dr. Sethi: Sudden cardiac death occurs because of ineffective compression of the heart. In majority of people it is the ventricular fibrillation, where the heart beating becomes ineffective. Sometimes the heart rhythm slows down or there is a complete arrest of the heart and the beating stops completely. Sudden cardiac death occurs because of either irregular, ineffective fibrillary contractions of the heart or because of sudden stoppage of the heart.

KOD : Can we identify people who can die suddenly?

Dr. Sethi: Yes they look like vinnyhockey.

KOD : Can we predict which people die suddenly and which may not?

Dr. Sethi: People from Newfoundland have a very high rate of death while running. Their heads begin to swell and their calfs start hurting real bad. Most will think its their shoes.

KOD : What are the risk factors of developing a heart disease?

Dr. Sethi: Eat alot of Canadian food.

KOD : A lot of people who do jogging or exercise die suddenly. Are jogging and exercising not good?

Dr. Chawla: The commonest is hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. If you run 8 miles a day prepare a will quick. I heard about a case in Canada with this guy named vinnyhockey. The dumb sumbitch was trying to run 8 k a day and blaming calf pain on his shoes.
He died suddenly of a enibriated septum with violence.

hope that helps

KOD

Last edited:

Blazer

ontherocks
Forum Member
Jan 4, 2003
Nashville
www.madjacksports.com
:topic: :topic: :topic:

Vinny,

If you aren't in the right boots you will have pain. You had some good advise before Scott junked up this thread. Google a "New Balance" or a "Running Store" and get measured.

Good Luck and keep running. :SIB

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

wareagle

World Traveler
Forum Member
Feb 27, 2001
MEMPHIS, TN
www.dunavant.com
ANOTHER VOTE FOR NEW BALANCE

new-balance-991.jpg

Blazer

ontherocks
Forum Member
Jan 4, 2003
Nashville
www.madjacksports.com
made_in_usa_top2.gif

In a global economy, where quality components come from all over the world, New Balance continues to manufacture a percentage of its shoes in the USA. New Balance has five factories in New England - three in Maine and two in Massachusetts. With a high-quality labor force, unique modular teams that are continually challenged to offer creative alternatives to foreign competition and the confidence to be different, New Balance is able to survive and thrive, taking a leadership position in an industry that has sent most of its production overseas.

trolln4walii

shorelunchne1
Forum Member
Jul 11, 2004
Canadian waters(summertime)
vinny....

Don't run nearly as much as I used to. Have put on plenty of miles in my lifetime and have to agree that New Balance is a good way to go. Whatever you decide go to a runners store for advice. If you want, bring in your Nikes and they can get a good idea of what kind of runner you are by the wear pattern. I suggest you don't just buy a pair off the rack at a sporting goods store. Your running shoe size should not be the same size as your normal shoes. A foot striking the pavement hits with 3-4 times the force causing the foot to spread on impact. You should have a little room(maybe a half inch from your toe to the end of the shoe) for your foot to expand. Btw, I feel Nikes are just a name you pay extra for. If on a limited budget I also really liked the Sacony (and Brooks or Asics as a third choice). GL and keep on running :SIB Also, it sounds as if your shoes may have seen better miles :)

The Boys said:
I run 4 times a week, short distances maybe 1.5 to 2 miles at a time. The guy that helped me calculated the distance and how often I run and he told me the inner part of my shoes would break down in 4 months and that I should get a new pair at least 3 times per year.

The Boys.......

This guy must have seen you pull up in your audi ;) A good pair of running shoes should last a minimum of @500 miles. Judging from your desire to hit the streets, if you avg. 7 miles a week your shoes should last you almost a year and a half :shrug:

The Boys

Registered
Forum Member
Oct 17, 2001
Royal Oak, Michigan, a Detroit Suburb
trolln4walii said:
vinny....

Don't run nearly as much as I used to. Have put on plenty of miles in my lifetime and have to agree that New Balance is a good way to go. Whatever you decide go to a runners store for advice. If you want, bring in your Nikes and they can get a good idea of what kind of runner you are by the wear pattern. I suggest you don't just buy a pair off the rack at a sporting goods store. Your running shoe size should not be the same size as your normal shoes. A foot striking the pavement hits with 3-4 times the force causing the foot to spread on impact. You should have a little room(maybe a half inch from your toe to the end of the shoe) for your foot to expand. Btw, I feel Nikes are just a name you pay extra for. If on a limited budget I also really liked the Sacony (and Brooks or Asics as a third choice). GL and keep on running :SIB Also, it sounds as if your shoes may have seen better miles :)

The Boys.......

This guy must have seen you pull up in your audi ;) A good pair of running shoes should last a minimum of @500 miles. Judging from your desire to hit the streets, if you avg. 7 miles a week your shoes should last you almost a year and a half :shrug:

I guess, that's just what he told me.....I really have no idea, but the pain is gone and that's what matters.

hawkeye

Forum Member
Jun 29, 2000
denver, co-usa
Have run every day for 30 years and have used nothing but Asics--love them- Nimbus style am using the Nimbus 7's now--great shoe--put on a new pair every 6 months.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg