Rutges this week

Mick Onofrio

Forum Member
Sep 4, 2003
Connecticut
I Will be at the game

I Will be at the game

I love the matchup and I can see Rutgers winning this thing with their passing attack. I am a Huskies fan and the Rutgers team they are playing Saturday is not the same team they have beaten over the years. UConn's biggest weakness is their secondary but their ability to put a lot of pressure on the QB hides this weakness most times. This game could easily be a blowout either way, as is the case with all UCONN games. Good Luck.
Mick

CapperChris

Forum Member
Mar 19, 2003
Some of my thoughts and notes on this game...

Although Rutgers is 8-0 ATS this year, UConn is 21-9 ATS over the past 3 years and have won 11 of their last 14 SU...not too bad either...

UConn is 12-3 ATS after playing a home game over the past three seasons, including 3-1 ATS this year...

Rutgers is 4-14 ATS off a bye week since '92 and have been outscored 41-16 in these games...

System play...Play Against road dogs off a win as a road dog in the 2nd half of the season...29-10 ATS the last 5 years...

Although Rutgers has had a tougher schedule, if you look at the common opponents these teams have played it will show UConn has better numbers both offensively and defensively. In fact, UConn has outgained its opponent in every game so far this season.

These are a few reasons I like Connecticut in thsi match-up.

RUfan

Forum Member
Aug 26, 2003
NJ
Will be a fun, tough game. UConn need to win 8 to begin thinking about getting an at large and RU needs to win two of last 4 to get bowl eligible for the first time since 1876. Boys are definitely jacked and using that as a huge motivating factor and the press has caught on. Starting to to get a little pub about the program in NJ/NY and people are now behind the Fightin Schianos. Game is sold out at UConn and should be a pretty feisty crowd. RU may be without top TB, Justice Hairston who has a knee, but he was Conn player of the year 2 years ago I beleive and think he will give it a go in front of the hometown folks. I took the points but I really don't know what happens in this game. I think we'll be able to score and move the ball pretty well but I worry about Orlovsky bombing our secondary. Wish I could give a better insight and feel, but I just don't know how this thing will shake out. I will say though, if you are playing RU probably best to wait as I think the line will climb.

ND2002HORNS

Forum Member
Neither program is dominant and when you can get 7 pts. I think you have to take them. 8-0 ATS is impressive and they have done it for a reason. Rutgers has played sound football compared to other years. They are not making the huge mistakes they made other years. The fact they could get in a bowl game is a big motivating factor. Just my 2 cents.

HORNS:D

bej0101

Registered
Forum Member
Nov 12, 2001
Uranus
rutgers ahs quite a few south florida palyers that could have played for the florida teams but were recruited to play for them by a former south florida coach meaning their talent has been improving nicely over the last few years..also "they" say never bet into a streak..i like rutgers with the points perhaps on the moneyline if there is one too

Joe De

Forum Member
Sep 10, 2002
and yes i had to pass on this game too....but would consider UCONN with a teaser.

Box and one

Forum Member
Feb 26, 2000
Hudson Valley area.....NY
Am capping this game all week.RU's top Rb is still out[Hairston] and Moses is still hobbled.They didn't need them in Temple win.
UConn Db's can be beaten.Hart was named BE Pl-O-Week.Nites haven't been near .500 since '98.UConn thinking Bowl game.
Good matchup...

RUfan

Forum Member
Aug 26, 2003
NJ
Box, I wouldn't be overly concerned with Hairston...like I said earlier he's coming home for the first time and don't think he'll miss the game. Whether he plays or not , RU's best back is FB Brian Leonard....he's a do everything guy. Hard, punishing runner, great hands, great speed and his blocking is improving. I don't know if Redshirt Frosh are eligible but if so IMO he deserves consideration for freshman All-American team. Anyway, regarding Moses, Schiano has said that of the two guys Moses is better along in injury recovery so look for him to play as well. I think the guy that will cause problems for UConn secondary is Shawn Tucker. He's been on fire lately catching a ton of balls. Anyway, just wanted to update these two guys' situations for you, but again I think this should be a great game that's gonna be tough to predict. One thing I should point out though is that RU has had a couple backdoors already this year and if I remember correctly, your Army team was able to throw the ball all over UConn in the 2nd hald of their game this year. Even if RU falls behind I think they'll have no problem doing the same and setting up a possible backdoor.

bear

Forum Member
Jan 17, 2000
Fairfield, CT., USA
CT perspective................

Army was beaten.......badly by CT....and the dogs were called off early. They never made it to mid field in the first half and it was 30-0
CT will run........Caulley may be out but CT is loaded with quality backs.....Bellamy who did not play last week will be back (166yds vs NC St) (212 yds vs Kent) if needed Cornell Brockington (186yds vs W Mich) or Matt Lawrence (as talented as any) CT will run... CT has 1833 yds rushing to Rutgers 1024

CT will pass.......so many more receivers of quality all over the field and a qb that uses them all and diversifies........run can set the pass or vice-versa ...........Orlovsky and CT over 3000 yds and 29 touchdowns passing....... Rutgers 1959 yds......Tucker is good and CT secondary can be had.............BUT..........that is not the reason CT has lost a few ATS this year..........turnovers and special teams have killed them.
AKron 2 BIG returns one 100yd on a kickoff ....VT special teams scored every way they could......NC St 48 yd fumble return for TD..56 yd int return for td....
Well times dictated a need for change and the big boys are playing special teams now.....(no rest for the weary)
CT has NOT been playing well......enough to win but GIVING too many points......spotted W Mich 17 in q-1 then took last 3 quarters by a 42-10 margin........barely covering for the first time in a few weeks.

So the stage is set.......Rutgers (a covering machine) looking to become bowl eligible......CT is already eligible and is looking to run the table for a shot at one. uh....Wake Forest away could be a tough task........ But anyhow.....CT too much respect early and not enough now........Rutgers a little too much respect in this line.
If CT plays well this week at home they should get the W by 10+

bear

Bet on MyBookie