saint...dental question

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
average price for a root canal/filling the tooth(with whatever the hell they use) and a porcelain crown?.....the guy I see is generally always on the high end.....

what would you say is average where you are?...

edit...it a back upper right molar...farthest back(wisdom teeth removed as a kid)....

Last edited:

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
Get it yanked.

I`m beginning to think I should have....it`s still sore...I have to go back and have the rest done next week(finish up the root canal/prepare and attach the crown)...I have a bad feeling that the tooth still won`t be right......

shelling out $2500 + for dentistry at property tax time isn`t something I`m enjoying.....

Morris

Tent Maker
Forum Member
Aug 23, 2002
Above the Clouds....
I had a root canal on #3 and it was $1750 but I got to watch a movie. Tooth #2 (back upper right was bothering me for a long time) and in the meantime we switched to a younger dentist that knew a lot more.

Got it yanked and it was the best thing I did!!

Remember 50% of dentists finish at the bottom of their class!

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
saint...one more question...clindamycin 150 mg`s every 6 hrs for a week...the old lady was looking this stuff up on the internet and found some disturbing info about clindamycin and c-diff.....

would it be smart to take a probiotic during the clindamycin therapy?....you see many bad reactions to clindamycin?...

thanks bud..this is why i was asking about you.... you`re a valuable asset in here...:toast:

thanks again...

AR182

Forum Member
Nov 9, 2000
Scottsdale,AZ
saint...one more question...clindamycin 150 mg`s every 6 hrs for a week...the old lady was looking this stuff up on the internet and found some disturbing info about clindamycin and c-diff.....

would it be smart to take a probiotic during the clindamycin therapy?....you see many bad reactions to clindamycin?...

thanks bud..this is why i was asking about you.... you`re a valuable asset in here...:toast:

thanks again...

gw....I have c-diff & take a probiotic everytime I take anti-biotics....

There are some people who take probiotics on a daily basis....

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
gw....I have c-diff & take a probiotic everytime I take anti-biotics....

There are some people who take probiotics on a daily basis....

you have c-diff,a?.....just recently or has it been an ongoing issue(my brother had it and it was rough on him...he had other issues,too)......

I`ve never heard of it as chronic....I thought you took other antibiotics to clear it up...

btw..we keep probiotics on hand(even though I forget to take it most days)...

c-diff can be nasty stuff...hope you`re o.k....

AR182

Forum Member
Nov 9, 2000
Scottsdale,AZ
you have c-diff,a?.....just recently or has it been an ongoing issue(my brother had it and it was rough on him...he had other issues,too)......

I`ve never heard of it as chronic....I thought you took other antibiotics to clear it up...

btw..we keep probiotics on hand(even though I forget to take it most days)...

c-diff can be nasty stuff...hope you`re o.k....

I get stomach pain from certain antibiotics....

So my doctors know not to give me certain anti-biotics & as long as I stay away from c-diff causing anti's I am ok....

#cruncher

Forum Member
Jul 26, 1999
New Orleans
Get it yanked.

Agree 100%; no guarantee root canal will work anyway, I know first hand.

Fwiw, if anyone wants to consider cost, if you have one close, consider a college dental school; my daughter got some excellent work done at LSU school of dentistry here in New Orleans. I'm thinking about getting hooked up with them myself, all you need is a referral from your regular physician.

Last edited:

SixFive

bonswa
Forum Member
Mar 12, 2001
BG, KY, USA
Wease, I always ask for a fee reduction for everything. All they can do is say no. Lots of times they will take off 20% if u pay it in cash up front.

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
Wease, I always ask for a fee reduction for everything. All they can do is say no. Lots of times they will take off 20% if u pay it in cash up front.

j hear you...at this point,it`s up in the air as to whether I get the crown or just eat the root canal expense and have the damned thing extracted...

had the r.c. canal done Thursday....was in some pain that evening(not enough to take advil)...Friday it seemed to be getting much, much better...this morning the pain was back in spades....

an old girlfriend(who I`m still friends with) has trigeminal neuralgia and she says it`s the worst pain she`s ever had....this has been bad at times buy I don`t think it`s that bad...hope that`s not what`s going on here....

still have some time before I go back to the dentist to sort this out...I`m not shelling out $1500 for a crown if I can`t chew on that side....

tooth pain is no f`ing fun...

zoomer

Forum Member
Feb 20, 2000
Massapequa Park, NY USA
j hear you...at this point,it`s up in the air as to whether I get the crown or just eat the root canal expense and have the damned thing extracted...

had the r.c. canal done Thursday....was in some pain that evening(not enough to take advil)...Friday it seemed to be getting much, much better...this morning the pain was back in spades....

an old girlfriend(who I`m still friends with) has trigeminal neuralgia and she says it`s the worst pain she`s ever had....this has been bad at times buy I don`t think it`s that bad...hope that`s not what`s going on here....

still have some time before I go back to the dentist to sort this out...I`m not shelling out $1500 for a crown if I can`t chew on that side....

tooth pain is no f`ing fun...

You may have dry socket. Call your dentist
never mind. Thought you already had the extraction

SixFive

bonswa
Forum Member
Mar 12, 2001
BG, KY, USA
After the root canal, there should be no pain whatsoever. Your dentist should work on u for free until that pain is gone. U don't have to get a crown. The risk is that tooth cracking or breaking because it has so much chewing force. I recently had the very same thing done on the same tooth. I am pain free, and I'm not getting a crown bc I'm not shelling out $1100 for it. Go back and have him work on it more. Maybe it needs a bite adjustment, but really, a tooth with a root canal should have absolutely zero pain.

gardenweasel

el guapo
Forum Member
Jan 10, 2002
"the bunker"
After the root canal, there should be no pain whatsoever. Your dentist should work on u for free until that pain is gone. U don't have to get a crown. The risk is that tooth cracking or breaking because it has so much chewing force. I recently had the very same thing done on the same tooth. I am pain free, and I'm not getting a crown bc I'm not shelling out $1100 for it. Go back and have him work on it more. Maybe it needs a bite adjustment, but really, a tooth with a root canal should have absolutely zero pain.

you think that tooth will last without a crown after being hollowed out?..

I think he has more pulp to drill/dig out(after the clamps and drilling and digging,i`m not surprised that the tooth area was sore for a day)..but that flush of pain this morning had me reaching for the advil......

the more I think about it,the more I`m leaning extraction...

I`ll give it a few more days to see how things progress......

saint!...where are you.....lol

Bet on MyBookie