Saints call Stafford "fresh meat", want to "break his spirt early"

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

loudog

Forum Member
Mar 13, 2002
Saints call Stafford "fresh meat", want to "break his spirt early"

The Saints don?t seem scared of Matthew Stafford. In fact, they seem happy Lions coach Jim Schwartz named the rookie the starting quarterback for the season opener Sunday.

Here are a few Saints quotes from the New Orleans Times-Picayune:

Defensive end Jeff Charleston: ?It?s fresh meat. It?s his first real game. He?s our opponent, and you still have to respect him, but we?re going to come after him.?

Defensive end Bobby McCray: ?I?m sure they?re not going to give him too much to handle in his first game, but it?s our job to get after him no matter what. It?s very important that we break his spirit early.?

Defensive tackle Anthony Hargrove: ?He?s from Georgia, and I?m from Georgia Tech. Any time I get a chance to go against a Bulldog, I?m definitely going to try to bring my ?A? game.?

Hargrove said he preferred playing against Stafford than veteran Daunte Culpepper.

?With a rookie you can do some different things to try to get him rattled and get him looking at the rush, instead of looking down field,? Hargrove said. ?Daunte is a guy who?s been in the league a while, and he knows how to stay in the pocket. Plus, he?s also a great escape artist, so you like playing against a rookie quarterback.?

THE KOD

Registered
Forum Member
Nov 16, 2001
Victory Lane
Defensive tackle Anthony Hargrove: ?He?s from Georgia, and I?m from Georgia Tech. Any time I get a chance to go against a Bulldog, I?m definitely going to try to bring my ?A? game.?

If he aint playing his A game every Sunday in the NFL I doubt he lasts long.

:shrug:

loudog

Forum Member
Mar 13, 2002
I think you have to start stafford here..im suprised the line moved in such favor for the saints since he was announced the starter. I think the lions will have some sucess moving the ball..I'm more concerned with their defense. The saints went the whole game without punting the ball last year against detriot..The only third down the saints didn't convert was the KNEEL IN THE FORTH QUARTER. Has the lions D improved enough to keep this close, I doubt it. I think the lions chances of covering the spread regardless off who was to start is slim. However, I am going to lay off the spread, and am going with the over (48.5) here.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

loudog

Forum Member
Mar 13, 2002
So the lions d is again the problem..the offense looked improved with stafford.