SAN DIEGO-ARIZONA Monday 6/28 some thoughts and a play

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

ndnfan

certified
Forum Member
Mar 4, 2001
Ohio
SAN DIEGO ?141 (WELLS VS REYNOLDS LISTED)

Have to take a shot at the Padres here for numerous reasons. Let?s take a look at what I feel are the key numbers and/or situations in this game.

After going through a bit of a slump themselves in the early part of this month, the Padres seem to be back on track having won 6 of their last 8 games. The D?Backs on the other hand are struggling, having lost 9 straight games after yesterday?s loss to Detroit. The old saying states ?never to bet against a streak?, so I?ll hope this streak has at least one more in it!

Another problem for the D?Backs is the travel situation. Anytime a team travels from East to West and plays the next day, it seems to have an effect on that team. Whether it?s the sleep situation, or jet laag, or what have ya, teams seem to struggle more in these situations. Of course Arizona just played in Detroit on Sunday and although San Diego is traveling as well, the situation isn?t near as drastic.

Shane Reynolds gets the start for Arizona today. It?ll be his first start of the season and his first official start for the D?Backs. Reynolds got rocked in spring training this season and had a 14.02 ERA which included 4 starts, before landing on the Disabled list with rotatator cuff problems. Reynolds, however did pitched well in his last rehab start in the minors, but then again that was minor league hitting. There?s a big difference between inexperienced and experienced hitters when you?re facing someone that?s going to be more than likely relying on a lot of off-speed stuff to make him effective?.it?s like night and day. With that being said, he?ll be facing a veteran group of major leaguers with the Padres and he might just not have enough heat on his fastball to make him effective against this group. I?d be surprised if he hits those mid to upper 80?s consistently. The Padres hitters also have a pretty good history vs Reynolds. Here?s the ones that have hit him very well over their careers:

Jeff Cirillo .480 (12 for 25)
Brian Giles .375 (9 for 24)
Ryan Klesko .526 (10 for 19)
Terrence Long .500 (2 for 4)
Mark Lorretta .371 (13 for 35)
Phil Nevin .364 (4 for 11)
Jay Payton .667 (2 for 3)

It will also be Reynold?s first start as a Diamond Back at Bank One Ballpark, but he does have 3 previous career starts as a visiting pitcher in this ballpark and has a not so good 6.38 career ERA in those starts, so maybe this ballpark isn?t too friendly for him as well.

Bottom line in this one, is that San Diego has the edge in almost every category ranging from hitting including their bench to pitching including their bullpen. They also have the edge in defense. The one negative I have in this game is the fact that Arizona just faced Wells 5 days ago which in a way favors the Zona hitters, but then again in that game, Wells did pitch very well in that game, getting a no-decision, allowing just 2 runs over 7 innings. I?ll take my chances with San Diego in this one, hoping the numbers back me up and the Zona streak continues.

Good luck to all! :D

-ndnfan

Nolan Dalla

Forum Member
Sep 7, 2000
Washington, DC/Las Vegas, NV
As is usual with your posts, you make a very convincing case. Thanks for the excellent work.

Nolan

Wager type : Straight Bet(s) Select #1 : MLB Baseball San Diego Padres 6/28/2004 9:35:01 PM - EST
Money Line -140 for Game
D. Wells - Action S. Reynolds - Action
Risking 700.00 To Win 500.00 USD

Nolan Dalla

Forum Member
Sep 7, 2000
Washington, DC/Las Vegas, NV
A short side note: I bet the PADRES UNDER 84 wins this season on a futures bet, and have watched this team very closely. They do appear to be a bit streaky. I'm not as confident in that wager cashing, as the Padres are on pace to win about 87-88 games and could conceivably win the division with a break or two.
ABOUT TONIGHT: This does look like a pitching mismatach and Snakes are averaging just 3 runs per game the last three weeks. Three straight losses to the Rays, Padres, and Tigers has got to be taking a confidence toll on this team.

Good luck.

Nolan

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Pujo21

Registered
Forum Member
May 14, 2002
David Wells may be the best 2-5 pitcher in Baseball. He has given up a total of 7 walks this year and none in the last 5 games. Has lost some 1 run ball games too.

His ERA is a decent 3.67 and you are almost always in the game with him.

Arizona coming off a 7 day road trip and ending it in what should have been a season back breaker yesterday in Detroit.

Question here who gets Randy Johnson..Yanks? Mets? Boston? Who?

SAN DIEGO has a solid line -up....no superstars..just a core of solid,solid ballplayers.

GOOD LUCK ALL TONITE ALL-- and great write up ND

:D

sharky17

ICECOLDBEERHERE
Forum Member
Apr 26, 2004
Shores of Lake Huron, Ontario
Re: SAN DIEGO-ARIZONA Monday 6/28 some thoughts and a play

ndnfan said:

Whether it?s the sleep situation, or jet laag, or what have ya,

Ndnfan........Good Luck tonight and I very much enjoyed the write-up. Great info! Also, given the above quote from your write-up, you must be a harness racing fan?? :shrug: lol.

JET LAAG p,2,1:53.2; 1:51f; 1:49.3; 1:49h
Laag-Truancy-Big Towner

(I still remember the '99 Senior Jug when this grey blistered the Delaware County Fairgrounds. ;) )

I could be way off, but I think only a harness racing fan could use the word "Laag". :shrug:

Thanks again for the great info,

Sharky

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

bohawk

Forum Member
Dec 12, 1999
Lima ohio
Pete, thanks for the fine writeup. Ihad put Wells into my
starting rotation,today, on my fanasty team too. GL;)

ndnfan

certified
Forum Member
Mar 4, 2001
Ohio
Re: Re: SAN DIEGO-ARIZONA Monday 6/28 some thoughts and a play

Re: Re: SAN DIEGO-ARIZONA Monday 6/28 some thoughts and a play

sharky17 said:
Also, given the above quote from your write-up, you must be a harness racing fan?? :shrug: lol.

JET LAAG p,2,1:53.2; 1:51f; 1:49.3; 1:49h
Laag-Truancy-Big Towner

(I still remember the '99 Senior Jug when this grey blistered the Delaware County Fairgrounds. ;) )

I could be way off, but I think only a harness racing fan could use the word "Laag". :shrug:

sharky17......yep..didn't even realize I've spelled it that way :) But, you're right, I've been a harness racing fan for years. I guess I still have that stuck in my head from seeing all those "Laag" horses racing all the time. LOL. I'm actually thinking about going to the jug this year....haven't been there the last couple years though.

Good luck today

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

sharky17

ICECOLDBEERHERE
Forum Member
Apr 26, 2004
Shores of Lake Huron, Ontario
Nice call......the Padre play is looking real solid through seven.

I've been to the Jug the last few years and will be going again this year. We've got rooms at the TravelLodge right by the track and basically sit on our lawn chairs in the backstretch from Tuesday to Thursday and drink beer until we can't drink beer anymore (we haven't reached that point, yet, though. lol). Man, I love that week.....;)

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg