Saturday NCAA: Hofstra v Manhattan

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

superbook

Forum Member
Jun 26, 2001
Saratoga Springs, NY
YTD: 1-0

I like this game to go OVER 136.

Hofstra has a very good team this year; ranked #3 in the preseason mid-major poll. Unfortunately while they are hurting in the front court for this game: center Chris Gadley will probably not play due to a concussion and Greg Washington has been ruled academically ineligible. They have a couple of Lithuanians, but they have been hurt and/or are not ready.

So Hofstra is going to play small and they have the leading scoring backcourt in the country. These guys play a lot more O than D.

Manhattan is in a rebuilding year, losing a lot of starters and Coach Bobby Gonzalez. No star like Flores to rely on. They've looked bad so far but I think they'll put some points up on the board today at home.

good luck

- Jon

Last edited:

payday

Forum Member
Dec 12, 2001
Canada
I read this on another forum. Just to give you another point of view:

Mahattan Under 138 +102

Barry Rohrseen JAspers new coach is a Ben Howland disciple who preaches defense, new point guard from Cameroon. Anderson leading scorer from last year bolted to Xavier. Hofstra defends you every possession and come from a blue collar confrece.

superbook

Forum Member
Jun 26, 2001
Saratoga Springs, NY
payday --

Thanks, I like opposing points of view and love when everyone is on the other side.

My rebuttal:

1. New Manhattan coach Rohrssen was an assistant coach at Pitt for the past 7 years but before that he was Director of Basketball Ops at UNLV for four years. He is best known as a recruiter, less as a sidelines coach. Just because he was at Pitt doesn't make him a defensive coach any more than his time at UNLV make him a running coach.

2. CJ Anderson is a great player. I've followed him from his high school days at Winton Woods in Cincy. He's definitely a loss for the Manhattan program but just so that everyone has the facts, he was the leading scorer in Manhattan's first 16 games last season then he was declared academically ineligiible and missed the 2nd semester of the 05/06 season. The Jaspars played the bulk of their MAAC schedule without him.

3. What kind of blue-collar D was Hofstra playing in their first game vs Charlotte which they lost 88-82? In that game, Hofstra took 62 shots including 36 from behind the arc, which means they were putting up the ball every 38 seconds. As I said, I think with injuries to their backcourt that they have to rely more on their high-scoring, offensive-minded front court. Hofstra's three man backcourt averaged 46 ppg last year and scored 57 vs Charlotte. These 3 perimeter players have a total of 3529 career points while the two front court starters have a total of 120.

Last edited:
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg