Saturday NCAA Hoops: Princeton @ Iona

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

superbook

Forum Member
Jun 26, 2001
Saratoga Springs, NY
YTD: 11-6

PICK: TOTAL OVER 101

This game opened at Princeton -6 and with 65% of the public on the Tigers it has moved down to -4. Looks like the sharps think that Princeton is going to hand the Gaels a late Christmas gift: their first win.

St Johns transfer Dexter Gray has played well in the 2 games since he has gotten eligibility for Iona...shooting has been the problem for the Gaels, the other night I saw their 2 guards went 1-21 from the field and the team was 0-14 from the arc.

Meantime Princeton has been hitting nothing but net from the arc in their last couple. The line movement and the improvements that Gray brings to the team tells me that Iona is going to score a few points and set the tempo in this one.

good luck.

- Jon

Sportz333

Forum Member
Jan 5, 2003
Northville, MI
Love the thought process and i agree. Here is a supporting write-up from Sportsnetwork:

The Sports Network

DATE & TIME: Saturday, December 30th, 2:00 p.m. (et).

FACTS & STATS: Site: Mulcahy Center (2,611) -- New Rochelle, New York. Television: none. Home Record: Princeton 2-1, Iona 0-2. Away Record: Princeton 2-1, Iona 0-6. Neutral Record: Princeton 3-2, Iona 0-2. Conference Record: Princeton 0-0, Iona 0-2. Series Record: Princeton leads, 4-0.

GAME NOTES: The Princeton Tigers will attempt to improve on their road record today, as they travel to take on the Iona Gaels in a non-conference showdown from the Mulcahy Center. After losing their season opener, the Tigers ripped off a four-game winning streak to steer their season in the right direction. Princeton has hit some bumps recently though, having lost two of its last three games, including a 54-48 loss at South Carolina last time out. As for Iona, the Gaels come into today's game with one thing in mind, getting their first win. Iona hasn't found success at home, on the road, or at neutral sites. Its most recent defeat came at the hands of New Hampshire, which embarrassed the Gaels, 67-52, in front of the home crowd. Princeton has won all four of its previous meetings with Iona.

Defense has been the key to success for the Tigers in this young season. Princeton is currently holding opponents to a measly 51.4 ppg, which includes a miserable 30.4 percent from three-point range. The Tigers themselves are no offensive juggernaut, however, as they score just 53.6 ppg, although they do shoot a healthy 37.8 percent from beyond the arc. It came as no surprise that when the defense failed against South Carolina, so did the Tigers. The Gamecocks shot just over 68 percent from the field in the first half and held a 35-22 lead at the break. Princeton stiffened in the second half, but the Tigers had dug their hole too deep. Kyle Koncz led a comeback charge that fell short, as he connected on 7-of-9 field goals for a team-high 19 points. Lincoln Gunn also had a strong showing for the Tigers, scoring 15 points despite shooting just 5-of-11 from the field.

As with most winless teams, Iona doesn't seem to do anything particularly well. The Gaels struggle on the offensive end of the floor, where they shoot just 37.4 percent from the field, including 26.6 percent from three-point range. Though Iona scores just 53.3 ppg, its defensive play can also be blamed for the team's setbacks. The Gaels allow opponents to score over 68 ppg while connecting on over 43 percent of their field goal tries. The Gaels seemed to work out their offensive kinks in the first half against New Hampshire. Iona shot over 63 percent before the break, but the squad squandered its opportunities by shooting just 25.8 percent in the second half. Leading scorer Dexter Gray carried the offensive load as usual, scoring a game-high 20 points on 8-of-15 shooting.

A well-disciplined team such as Princeton should have no trouble finding the visible holes in the Gaels' defense. Expect the Tigers to handle business today.

Sports Network Predicted Outcome: Princeton 62, Iona 52

I dont use this to pick games but it is always a "check" of mine when i want to pull the cord on a play.

bjfinste

Forum Member
Mar 14, 2001
AZ
The first play to stick out to me, as well. Of course, I won't be fully funded for hoops until next week so my only money is in wsex, and for some reason last night wsex had Princeton playing Iowa (I found it to be pretty impressive of Iowa to be taking on TWO Ivy teams in the same day). Didn't pull the trigger as I didn't want it to simply get voided b/c of the incorrect listing. Ended up being able to play it at 100.5 instead of 101.5. Good luck to us.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

superbook

Forum Member
Jun 26, 2001
Saratoga Springs, NY
57-46 final kept me sweating until the end. Not sure what the sharps saw in Iona, it was a dd win by Princeton as I would have expected but the line move kept me off the side.

- Jon

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

superbook

Forum Member
Jun 26, 2001
Saratoga Springs, NY
Keith -- sorry, I posted this one a little closer than normal to gametime as it was an early game.

Also, I hate it when last minute news comes out and I've already made my play on the other side...the other day I had Tenn State +9.5 vs Siena...it was announced one hour before gametime that TSU's #2 scorer/rebounder Matthews was out for one game for a violation of a team rule...TSU ends up losing by 12...whaddya goin' to do???

- Jon

Keith 1

Forum Member
Jan 7, 2005
Long Island, NY
Keith -- sorry, I posted this one a little closer than normal to gametime as it was an early game.

Also, I hate it when last minute news comes out and I've already made my play on the other side...the other day I had Tenn State +9.5 vs Siena...it was announced one hour before gametime that TSU's #2 scorer/rebounder Matthews was out for one game for a violation of a team rule...TSU ends up losing by 12...whaddya goin' to do???

- Jon

Jon: I'm looking forward to the next one.