Sec West 2002-03

Rosey

Forum Member
Jul 1, 2001
Chicago
SEC WEST

The West is by far the most competitive division in all of college football. Any of the 6 teams can win it, or finish last!!!!

ARKANSAS RAZORBACKS 14 RETURNING STARTERS 0:7 D:7

HC HOUSTON NUTT 30-18 SU

Will RB Cobb stay healthy??
Will the offense continue to thrive??
Can the Hogs really contend for SEC Championship honors??

I'm really high on the Hogs this year. They have loads of talent on both sides of the ball. I love QB Jones, and he's what jumpstarted the offense LY. Who will ever forget the 7 OT thriller at OLE Miss? Their backfield is stacked, and it could be one of the best in the nation provided everyone stays healthy. The O-Line is led by So RT Shawn Andrews, and he was voted 2nd team SEC as a frosh. Every one of LY's WR's returns, & that means they have 1 more year of valuable experience. The defensive back 7 just might be the best in the SEC, but they'll have to adjust to a new defensive coordinators schemes. The Hogs will contend for top honors in the conference, but it'll be very hard. Their road schedule sucks, but a win in Knoxville can catapult them into having an unforgettable season.

OLE MISS REBELS 14 RETURNING STARTERS O:7 D:7

HC DAVID CUTCLIFFE 23-13 SU

Will the defense contribute this season??
Can QB Manning follow up LY's unbelievable effort??

Ole Miss is back on the map, and its all b/c of some kid named ELI. No, not the cheesecake, but Archie's kid!! He was unstoppable LY, & I can't see him slowing down this year. He's got the most experienced WR's Ole Miss has had in years, & a talented O-Line protecting his ass. The defense should also do a better job in '02. They're the most experienced they've been in years, and they've got a very stout front 7. They will cut down on the amount of yards and points they gave up a year ago. The special teams will also be better with the return of LY's punter and kicker. They've got a treacherous road schedule, but they're all winnable b/c of their potent offense. They'll most likely be 3-1 once the Gators come a knocking, and the window of opportunity to knock them off is wide open!!!!

AUBURN TIGERS 14 RETURNING STARTERS O:6 D:8

HC TOMMY TUBERVILLE 21-15 SU

Will they get consistent play from the QB position??
Will "The Cadillac" improve on LY's performance??
How much time does the O-line need to gel??

The Tigers have a very solid squad this season. It has a ton of potential, but it might just be another year away from being really special. They're young & inexperienced on offense, but they have a solid back 7 on "D". Special teams sicko Damon Duval ain't too shabby either. Anything is possible for this team since the division is so wide open, but I'll call for them to finish in the middle of the pack.

MISSISSIPPI STATE BULLDOGS 13 RETURNING STARTERS O:6 D:7

HC JACKIE SHERRILL 70-56 SU

Will the "D" quit screwing around, & get back to playing Dawg defense??
Will QB Fant be credible??

The 2001 team was a flop, & I'm sure the head guy's got something up his sleeve for 2002. I think the Dawgs shied away from playing their brand of football the past few years. They were infatuated w/ offense b/c of QB Madkin, and the defense suffered. Not to mention they were a very unhealthy team. The offense once again looks pretty solid, & I think QB Fant will be more consistent than Madkin ever was. He's got the best receiving core Miss St has ever had. The defense is what I'm concerned with. DC Joe Lee Dunn is one of the best in the country, & I'm sure he'll field a solid squad this year. They're defense was terrible LY, and it can only get better. I expect a drastic improvement. Their schedule is terrible, but they can flirt w/ a 6 or 7 win season if they take care of business at home.

LSU TIGERS 12 RETURNING STARTERS O:5 D:7

HC NICK SABAN 18-7 SU

How will the loss of Davey & Reed affect the team??
How will the "D" adjust to a new coordinator??

I was all over the Tigers in LY's write-ups, and predicted a shot at the SEC championship. They went out & mauled their opponents, & finished the season ranked #7 in the final AP poll. The 2002 squad has a much different flavor to it. Gone are 2 big-time leaders, and I don't see them being replaced so easily. QB Mauck did a great job coming off the bench in the SEC championship game, but it'll be a whole different story coming in as the starter. The 2001 Tigers had a great offense, but a terrible defense. They simply outscored their opponents, and I can't see this year's offense being able to do that. The defense better step it up, or its gonna be a long season. The SEC WEST is very competitive this yr, & I'll predict that LSU WON'T defend its SEC Championship.

ALABAMA CRIMSON TIDE 17 RETURNING STARTERS O:9 D:8

HC DENNIS FRANCHIONE 7-5 SU

How will the Tide be affected by their 2-year bowl ban??

I'm a big Bama fan, and I'm really pissed off about the next 2 yrs. This team is loaded w/ talent, but it's a waist of my time to go into any sort of detail. They really could've made some noise in '02, but it wouldn't matter anyways. I expect this team to play the roll of spoiler, and ruin everyone else's season!!!

Bet on MyBookie