Solar Panels

StevieD

Forum Member
Jun 18, 2002
Boston
Do any of you guys have them on your roofs. A company called Vivint came by offering to put them on my roof. What are your thoughts. They did not mention any purchase plans but as I do some research I see they will charge me something but I have no idea what. All I have agreed to is an inspection.

So far I have only met with the salesman who scheduled the inspection of my roof. But I am starting to wonder why they never mentioned purchasing or renting.

MadJack

Administrator
Staff member
Forum Admin
Super Moderators
Channel Owner
Jul 13, 1999
home
The Yelp reviews are not good at all.

pug

Forum Member
Jun 11, 2004
Jaco, Costa Rica
Do any of you guys have them on your roofs. A company called Vivint came by offering to put them on my roof. What are your thoughts. They did not mention any purchase plans but as I do some research I see they will charge me something but I have no idea what. All I have agreed to is an inspection.

So far I have only met with the salesman who scheduled the inspection of my roof. But I am starting to wonder why they never mentioned purchasing or renting.

We have solar panels but we bought our system. It's worked out well for the most part. I'm not familiar with Vivint though.

StevieD

Forum Member
Jun 18, 2002
Boston
The savings have been pretty good. Before we had solar power, our electric bill was about $400-$450 a month. Now it is about $50 a month. The system cost around $20,000 and it's supposed to last for 20 years.

That is great savings. I don't think I will be buying it so my savings won't be so much. But I think I can rent my roof to them or something.

Snafu

Forum Member
Aug 16, 2002
Finland
The savings have been pretty good. Before we had solar power, our electric bill was about $400-$450 a month. Now it is about $50 a month. The system cost around $20,000 and it's supposed to last for 20 years.

are yo able to sell power back to electric company ?

solar panels are pretty good passive power system :0074

pug

Forum Member
Jun 11, 2004
Jaco, Costa Rica
are yo able to sell power back to electric company ?

solar panels are pretty good passive power system :0074

Right at the time I had my system installed here in Costa Rica, May 2015, the power company bitched about how much it had to pay back to customers for their excess solar output. The Costa Rica president then temporarily suspended the payment to consumers on any excess solar output until a "more fair" percentage payback could be determined for the electric company to pay. It is still in limbo at this time. Although, the current president will be out of office in May 2018 and the front runner for president is very much in favor of solar power. So I expect we will be able to sell the excess back to the power company again sometime in 2018. Like I said above though, I don't even have enough solar power to cover my entire bill. Although, I have enough room in my system and roof space for 10 more panels (25% more) without having to buy anything except the panels. The panels here right now cost about $140 each, so I'm going to buy 10 more in in the next month or so, which will cost me $1400 and increase my system output about 25%. So maybe I will then have a little to sell back when the law changes back.

Bet on MyBookie