Some interesting stats for the CapOne Bowl

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

bjfinste

Forum Member
Mar 14, 2001
AZ
Full disclosure: I played Georgia -7.5 a couple days ago, but still found this interesting.

There is no question that, in recent years, the SEC has been a far superior conference than the Big Ten. And when the creme de la creme of each league match up, the SEC is dominant. But these two leagues also face each other in the Outback and Capital One Bowls each year.

Here are the results from the past five years:

Capital One Bowl
Purdue/Georiga SEC -3.5 Result: SEC win/cover in overtime
Iowa/LSU SEC -5 Result: Big Ten outright win
Wisconsin/Auburn SEC -8.5 Result: Big Ten outright win
Wisconsin/Arkansas SEC -3.5 Result: Big Ten outright win
Michigan/Florida SEC -8 Result: Big Ten outright win

Outback Bowl
Wisconsin/Georgia SEC -7.5 Result: SEC win/Big Ten cover
Iowa/Florida pick Result: SEC win/cover
Penn State/Tennessee SEC -3.5 Result: Big Ten outright win
Wisconsin/Tennessee SEC -3.5 Result: SEC cover by .5
Iowa/Florida SEC -4 Result: Big Ten outright win

SEC favored 9 times, one pick 'em
SEC: 2-7 ATS as a favorite (with the one cover coming by the hook and the other coming in overtime)
Big Ten: six straight-up wins as underdogs, 7-3 ATS overall

Roger Baltrey

Forum Member
Sep 13, 2005
Full disclosure: I played Georgia -7.5 a couple days ago, but still found this interesting.

There is no question that, in recent years, the SEC has been a far superior conference than the Big Ten. And when the creme de la creme of each league match up, the SEC is dominant. But these two leagues also face each other in the Outback and Capital One Bowls each year.

Here are the results from the past five years:

Capital One Bowl
Purdue/Georiga SEC -3.5 Result: SEC win/cover in overtime
Iowa/LSU SEC -5 Result: Big Ten outright win
Wisconsin/Auburn SEC -8.5 Result: Big Ten outright win
Wisconsin/Arkansas SEC -3.5 Result: Big Ten outright win
Michigan/Florida SEC -8 Result: Big Ten outright win

Outback Bowl
Wisconsin/Georgia SEC -7.5 Result: SEC win/Big Ten cover
Iowa/Florida pick Result: SEC win/cover
Penn State/Tennessee SEC -3.5 Result: Big Ten outright win
Wisconsin/Tennessee SEC -3.5 Result: SEC cover by .5
Iowa/Florida SEC -4 Result: Big Ten outright win

SEC favored 9 times, one pick 'em
SEC: 2-7 ATS as a favorite (with the one cover coming by the hook and the other coming in overtime)
Big Ten: six straight-up wins as underdogs, 7-3 ATS overall

True but Michigan St is the a soft 9-3 team. This is all about matchups. A lot of those games were quality Wisconsin and Penn St teams and don't think Mich St fits the bill.

bjfinste

Forum Member
Mar 14, 2001
AZ
True but Michigan St is the a soft 9-3 team. This is all about matchups. A lot of those games were quality Wisconsin and Penn St teams and don't think Mich St fits the bill.

Oh, I agree. Would have much rather seen Iowa in this spot for the sake of the conference. I just didn't realize the recent history until I was speaking with a buddy about it this morning, so thought I would pass it along.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Roger Baltrey

Forum Member
Sep 13, 2005
Oh, I agree. Would have much rather seen Iowa in this spot for the sake of the conference. I just didn't realize the recent history until I was speaking with a buddy about it this morning, so thought I would pass it along.

By the way i failed to mention Iowa as they have done very well in this game including the one that Flordia stole from them in Urban Meyers first year.