Some more SMU info.

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

mr. wizard

Forum Member
Jan 16, 2001
carrollton, texas, us
I am undefeated this year going with or against SMU this year and one of my buddies that is on the staff called this morning and said that the Mustangs took a bus to the La Tech game instead of their normal plane trip. Now he wouldn't give me the scoop on the deal, but just said it was going to be a long few hours on the bus. I think I'll throw a few bucks on La Tech-20 tomorrow.

Hope that helps....

CollegeCapper

Forum Member
Sep 5, 2003
Good info -- played enough ball at a high level to know what kind of impact that kind of decision on the kid's willingness to represent their school -- I had liked LA TECH, now I absolutely LOVE THEM..

hawkeye

Forum Member
Jun 29, 2000
denver, co-usa
because of a bus ride?? like la tech anyway becuae smu can't socre and latech will pass 50 times but won't bet because of a bus ride-gl

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

tendog

Forum Member
May 6, 2002
would probably depend on how far and stressful the trip is i think nebr. still buses to ku kst and ia st.just because it makes more sense because of distance,airport proximity, and cost however if the team expected to fly or the weather was bad making for a tense trip it could affect their mental for the game, certainly in the case of smu one wouldnt expect things to get much worse

Unicorn

Forum Member
Jan 19, 2001
Gahanna, OH USA
I think you're missing the point. The point is that the school decided to take a bus, probably when they originally were going to fly, which might lead to the players thinking the school is bailing on them, and cutting their losses. Agree or not, that kind of stuff can play with a college kids mind especially when you're already going through a rough season. Of course, the team could rally around that as well with a "me against the world" attitude. Anyone know how long the bus ride is from Dallas to where LT plays their home games?:shrug:

mw

Forum Member
Sep 29, 2000
dallas
I don't see what the big deal is. It's not even three hours from UP to Ruston. It's probably a good thing to have the team spend some time together.

Last edited:
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

mw

Forum Member
Sep 29, 2000
dallas
Speaking of the weather, it lloks pretty ugly:

Cloudy with a chance of rain. Highs in the upper 50s. Northeast winds around 10 mph. Chance of rain 30 percent.

I really want to play Tech here, but this weather (it's 45 and raining) tempers the enthusiasm.

Toto

Forum Member
Mar 27, 2003
SMU to La Tech is a definate bus ride, no factor in this one!!
Lots of teams still bus for 250 miles or less! GL

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

mr. wizard

Forum Member
Jan 16, 2001
carrollton, texas, us
FYI Toto....The Mustangs played Tulsa a few weeks ago, in Tulsa, and they flew. From Dallas you can get to Tulsa in less than 4 hours, and earlier in the week SMU had planned to fly. I'm not saying there is any inside info here, but like someone said earlier, this kind of crap plays with teams heads, especially a team that hasn't won a game. Just trying to pass on info that might help someone pick a winner.

GL to all,

ELVIS

Forum Member
Sep 25, 2002
memphis
have you ever rode on a bus the day before a game ? you are restless,bored, and semi-grumpy. not saying that smu will pack it in , but do not overlook info and pass it off as being useless. jmo.

Pujo21

Registered
Forum Member
May 14, 2002
Maybe the airfare wasn't in SMU's 255 million dollar budget

Maybe the airfare wasn't in SMU's 255 million dollar budget

250 miles on a bus-- 4 hours and change--- i guess donations were low this year !!!!!!

Anyway--- bus trip or no bustrip---SMU has a few injuries on defense. I had circled this game for me today. I think I'll lessen the 20 point load by playing a 6 point teaser. Despite SMU's crummy record, they played a so-so Fresno team to a 20-11 loss last week and actually outyarded Fresno by 28 yards. Allowing Fresno 14 1st downs although SMU only got 12 1st downs themselves.
La Tech played a close game with Boise at home earlier but took a thumping by LSU s + 650 yards. La Tech got over 300 in that game.

La Tech -14...0ver 43.

Thanks for that info Mr. Wiz--good luck everyone

:D

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

eire

Forum Member
Oct 27, 2003
Michigan
Wiz, I don't know how important your info was on this game, but I still greatly appreciate it none the less!!! A winner is a winner no matter how it comes about!!! Keep the SMU reports coming!!!!!:toast: :yup