ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

ry%3D400

Needy

Forum Member
Dec 25, 2000
tennessee
Wareagle, if you ever need somebody to tag along on on one of those duck hunts give me a shout. I have never been and would love to just watch and learn. I even joined Ducks Unlimited lol.

SixFive

bonswa
Forum Member
Mar 12, 2001
BG, KY, USA
envious of those duck hunts! Used to have a sweet spot as a teenager, but I rarely get to go now. Congrats. :)

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

homedog

I'm trite!
Forum Member
Jan 5, 2002
Nice fish.

That doe was pretty nice as well. How much did she weigh?

Nelson

Registered
Forum Member
Dec 2, 2008
west TN

private trophy lake

average size is 5-6 lb

small would be 3-4 lbs

Impressive. Was wondering because I'm not too far north of where you are by latitude and around here the high end is pretty much five pounds, at least in ordinary ponds and lakes. Very rarely you see a six or seven pounder. Seems like the huge bass are all down south. I wonder why it is that you can get gigantic pike and musky in cold northern lakes but bass only get huge down south.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Nelson

Registered
Forum Member
Dec 2, 2008
Nice work, Wareagle!

Two questions:

1) what do mallards taste like? Are they actually tasty or just endurable?

2) what were the bands for? Mallards are all over the place, who would be tracking them?

SixFive

bonswa
Forum Member
Mar 12, 2001
BG, KY, USA
Nice work, Wareagle!

Two questions:

1) what do mallards taste like? Are they actually tasty or just endurable?

2) what were the bands for? Mallards are all over the place, who would be tracking them?

ooh, ooh! I know the answers! :mj07:

1) mallards taste a lot like beef liver. Definitely wild, dark meat. I'd rather eat a whole litany of other food. However, there are many people that just love to eat ducks. Dogs That Bark who posts on this site absolutely loves ducks and geese and any wild game. I give all mine to him and another of my former co-workers. Sadly, I haven't killed any in a few years. :(

2) Ducks and geese and lots of bird species are banded to track their migration patterns. They are still heavily studied. I actually once killed a banded blackbird here in Bowling Green that was banded in Iowa. I've also killed a banded duck that had 2 bands. One was the regular band with the numbers, and the other was a reward band. After I called it in, I was sent a check in the mail for 50 bucks.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Nelson

Registered
Forum Member
Dec 2, 2008
ooh, ooh! I know the answers! :mj07:

1) mallards taste a lot like beef liver. Definitely wild, dark meat. I'd rather eat a whole litany of other food. However, there are many people that just love to eat ducks. Dogs That Bark who posts on this site absolutely loves ducks and geese and any wild game. I give all mine to him and another of my former co-workers. Sadly, I haven't killed any in a few years. :(

2) Ducks and geese and lots of bird species are banded to track their migration patterns. They are still heavily studied. I actually once killed a banded blackbird here in Bowling Green that was banded in Iowa. I've also killed a banded duck that had 2 bands. One was the regular band with the numbers, and the other was a reward band. After I called it in, I was sent a check in the mail for 50 bucks.

Good answers, Six! Only eaten duck one time, not sure what it was, but not mallard. Not bad, with some rice. Interesting on the banding; I didn't realize that mallards actually migrated anywhere. I thought they just flew in for games!

Thanks for the info.

fatdaddycool

Chi-TownHustler
Forum Member
Mar 26, 2001
Fort Worth TX usa
I ate duck breast that was in a plum sauce was very tasty.........................both ways. By the way plum tends to stain porcelain

Hope this helps,
FDC