some thoughts a couple of sides tonight

Chenker

Forum Member
Jul 2, 2001
CA
Don't really like too many sides tonight but looking at two of them right now-

Rangers pick at home even money against the Canes. I think the line is low for two reasons. The Canes have owned the Rangers over the last 5 or so games. Also, I think the books might be over-reacting to the Canes performance against an un-inspired Leafs team last game. A couple of things that points to the Rangers their home record is 8-4 and the Canes are under .500 on the road. Also the Canes have to play again Friday. It sounds like Richter in net tonight and he has been playing pretty well.

The other line that looks intersting to me is the Calgary/Dallas game. I realize that this is the first home game after a long road trip for the Flames. Dallas has been playing better recently. Turgeon activated and Turco in net tonight. Flames are 9-2 at home this year and the Stars are under .500 on the road. Another pick em here. Wigs, any thoughts since you cover the Stars pretty close.

Sam

Forum Member
Oct 16, 2001
according to the NY paper Fleury suffered a badly bruised ankle in the Buffalo game.

Lindros has a bad hand and should play but has to step aside when taking faceoffs,Dvorak RW-out

Lindros and Fleury are both probable for tonight's game

wigs

Forum Member
Jan 27, 2001
austin, tx,usa
Chenker
The Dallas game is a tough one, I will say the stars are still living off their past few seasons here as the line should not be that close in my opinion. But the stars have added so many new faces that for me, it is tough to evaluate and/or expect a ertain performance for them. one thing for sure, the players they acquired(especially brunet and manson, who played with them when they lost in the finals to nj,are much more defensive-oriented and should fit in the system.) as far as turco being in net, i dont know if that is a good thing or a bad thing. let's face it, belfour hasnt been getting the job done, he had been keeping them around and they had been earning pts in games, but not winning many...it is tough for me to gauge dallas since this will be the first time we see turgeon back in awhile and some lines will be playing together for the first time ever in a game.....hope this helps,
from dallasnews.com
We know we've got some tough opponents, but we're a tough opponent right now, too," coach Ken Hitchcock said. "Our team is playing with a lot of spirit and commitment and I expect every night that we're going to be a good team. Whether we win every game or not, I feel, and the player do too, that we can compete with anybody right to the end."

Dallas is on a 3-1-3 run and seems to slowly be moving into the gear that produced five consecutive division championships. After struggling all season to score goals, the Stars have 21 in their last six games. What's more, a team that has just received Martin Rucinsky, Benoit Brunet and Dave Manson in trade is expected to get Pierre Turgeon (12 games with an ankle sprain) and Derian Hatcher (two games with a hamstring strain) back from injury.

"It's like adding five players to our team," Hitchcock said.

Turgeon has been flying at practice the past two days and says he's excited to get back in the lineup.

"It feels, really, really good," he said. "I've been trying to push it, to move my legs, to make sure my legs are fine and move at as close to game speed as I can. And right now, everything is great."

Turgeon probably will start on a third or fourth line with Rob DiMaio and either Benoit Hogue, Benoit Brunet or Brad Lukowich. Hitchcock said he probably would play Turgeon 12-15 minutes in the first two games, but he added that Turgeon could look good and jump right back into the lineup. In fact, if Turgeon is playing well, don't be surprised if Hitchcock moves him onto a line with Mike Modano or Joe Nieuwendyk ? something the coach hoped to experiment with before Turgeon was injured

wigs

Forum Member
Jan 27, 2001
austin, tx,usa
little more info...

Turgeon admitted the initial adjustment to the Stars' system was difficult but said he was just starting to feel comfortable in it when he injured his ankle Oct. 29.

"The last couple of games I felt better," Turgeon said. "I want to go back and make sure I start the same way I finished."

The key to a smooth transition back, according to Stars coach Ken Hitchcock, is to get Turgeon emotionally connected.

"I don't think you can bring in a player and say, `OK, you do your thing, and we'll work around you.' I don't think it works like that," Hitchcock said. "I think the player has to get emotionally connected to the team and do what he does best."

What Turgeon does best is offense, goal scoring, goal creating, etc.

But he is a different type of offensive player than Mike Modano and Joe Nieuwendyk. Turgeon plays a down-low game that utilizes the back of the net as an offensive weapon.

"We've never had people who play like that," Hitchcock said. "So it's a combo of us getting used to him and him getting used to us, but I think he was most effective when he really put his worker hat on.

Ken Hitchcock said he will not fill Erskine's spot with Brad Lukowich, who has moved to left wing. Hitchcock will use Dave Manson and Sami Helenius as the third pair of defensemen. He said Lukowich is expected to be in the lineup at left wing against the Flames tonight.

Briefly

Ken Hitchcock said Ed Belfour will start against Edmonton on Saturday and also on Sunday against Vancouver. Backup Marty Turco gets the start tonight.

Chenker

Forum Member
Jul 2, 2001
CA
Wigs-

you made some good points-

I like the over in this one for a couple of reasons-

1. Calgary's last 5 have gone over 5 goals
2. Dallas has been scoring lately
3. Dallas in this game might not be as tight on D because of the new faces and the possible lack of team play with new line combinations
4. Turco in net- I know Belfour has been off but he is always capable of standing on his head
5. Turek has looked shaky the last few games

I am leaning toward Calgary mostly because of their home record and for some of the reasons I stated above about Dallas but Calgary is returning from a long road trip and it is tough to say if they will be ready for the Stars tonight-

I do agree with you that the price on this side looks off Clagary should be favored based on this year's numbers- One last thing my total system which has been doing pretty well lately has the over in this game as the top one of the day-

Bet on MyBookie