Jan 12, 2001
Virginia
www.tradewithjon.com
Here is what my portfolio looks like:

WYNN LVS NATH CG NOC RTN PEP PG INTC GOOG SYK SIRI MRK BRK-B

Sold some shares in NATH, $17

Sold position in RIMM, $82.75

Sold position in VZ, $42.75

Bought shares in SIRI $3.50, MRK $50.31, and SYK $69.37.

Stocks I'm thinking of buying: UA, AAPL, BIIB, KFT, JNPR, COST, EBAY, MCD, and IMA.

What do you think, diversified? I know I've got a bit much in tech but I like tech stocks. I know I need to buy a retail stock, precious metal, oil/energy stock, and a financial but I plan on getting those soon (Will buy DKS, FCX, COP, AXP this week).

kneifl

Last edited:

dawgball

Forum Member
Feb 12, 2000
What is your reasoning in buying SIRI?

Just curious.

Eternal

Forum Member
Aug 17, 2003
Massachusetts
For a retail stock I would have to suggest looking into Best Buy (BBY). They just reported #'s and beat expectations nicely that lead to a pop in price, but it has pulled back by about a dollar. Management said they expect a strong Xmas season, and many stores are being remodeled in time for that. I think it's a good value at $45 and below. Just for full disclosure, I am a former employee and currently own the stock, and will be buying more if/when it falls below $45...

kneifl

Forum Member
Jan 12, 2001
Virginia
www.tradewithjon.com
For a retail stock I would have to suggest looking into Best Buy (BBY). They just reported #'s and beat expectations nicely that lead to a pop in price, but it has pulled back by about a dollar. Management said they expect a strong Xmas season, and many stores are being remodeled in time for that. I think it's a good value at $45 and below. Just for full disclosure, I am a former employee and currently own the stock, and will be buying more if/when it falls below $45...

Your right. Great stock I plan on picking up soon, pays a great dividend as well. I just doubt it drops below $45 again.

kneifl

selkirk

Forum Member
Jul 16, 1999
Canada
interestng portfolio kneifl, if I posted mine it would show a large amount invested in resources, ie. oil/gas, base metals, and even some gold.

though I plan on reducing this, especially the oil/gas, by half....still like the sector just to big of a position.

WYNN, and LVS are stocks would like to own and hope there is a sell off, they have had a great run....

Nath, do not know much about the company though I own MCD, since the mid to high 20s... actually thought it would only be at 42. they keep having strong numbers also increased div. probably close to fully value, but will keep the stock. also have puts on mcd (sold) 45 various months.

BRK.b sold this years ago, and probably should have kept it, good steady returns and good management, so a good holding/insurance company. Buffets annual letter is very good.
probably get you 10% a year on avg. from here out...

the rest of the companies will probably do well in a bull market, and most have large int. sales, which should do well as the US dollar continues to crater.

would add some foreign stocks, or an etf that tracks, int. regions.

there are many that track countries and regions, VEA tracks Europe and Asia and does it low mer. or many foreign adrs trade in the US.

would look to the emerging markets, they should outperform the US economy and many US stocks.... if there is a downside, in a bear or sharp correction these get taken out and shot.

since you are bulliish on tech, would have kept RIMM, RIMM is expensive and not cheap...though believe they will report good numbers early oct. and the love affair will continue. anyone who owns RIMM must be prepared to lose 20% because if they ever report neg. surprise stock will drop fast.

BBY grew their sales by only 1.7% in the US, though not bad, nothing great....the stock had great numbers because int. sales grew quickly.

ie. China and Canada sales grew by over 20%. in Canada they bought over Future Shop chain. and kept both Future shop and Best buy.

Future Shop is directed more towards high end....not sure about that but they do have a large area dedicated to large screens and sound sytems for the tvs. it was smart to keep both chains in cdn....and the results show it.

China small, small, % of sales but a great chance to grow....

I am hoping for a correction on this name, though may not get it.

good luck.

thanks
selkirk

lawmaker1

Forum Member
Nov 24, 2002
I am all over SIRI...of course I have been for a while. The merger looks like it is going to happen. We should know by the end of the year.

kneifl

Forum Member
Jan 12, 2001
Virginia
www.tradewithjon.com
Thanks Kirk -

More of a day trader but try to stay diversified. My portfolio looks totally different now. I have an e trade account and just put a few bucks in an Ameritrade acct (45 days of free trades). Here is the new one:

NILE
RTN
KFT
BRK-B
COP
MSFT
ISRG
FCX
RIMM (jumped back on the bandwagon again)

kneifl

OhStBuckeyes21

Forum Member
Sep 23, 2006
Tuesday 13th Nov 3 pm is the big meeting on the SIRI/XMSR merger I just picked up more shares of SIRI hoping that its approved and it goes to 6-7 like ya said. Wouldnt there be more value in pickin up xmsr shares due to getting 4.6 shares of siri for ech XMSR if they merge?

on another note, how do you guys report short term capital gains or dont you,:142smilie Been pullin a lot off the table lately and was wondering about that.

Thanks in advance

Bet on MyBookie