South Korea v USA, Mon 10th June 2.30am ET

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Monarch

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
London
USA captain Claudio Reyna is expected to be fit to face the co-hosts.

The Sunderland midfielder missed Wednesday's 3-2 win over Portugal after suffering a muscle strain in training.

Earnie Stewart, who was substituted in the Portugal match at half-time because of a groin strain, said he was 50-50 for the Korean game.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hwang Sun-Hong and Yoo Sang-Chul, who scored the goals in South Korea's win over Poland, are back in training.

But coach Guus Hiddink will not say whether Hwang, Yoo or winger Lee Young-Pyo would be fit for Monday's match.

MATCH PREVIEW STATISTICS

GC = Gold Cup
F = Friendly International
Gp = Group

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

FIXTURE HISTORY

DATE COMP MATCH RESULT
12 Jun 1987 F South Korea 1-0 USA
13 Aug 1989 F USA 1-2 South Korea
05 Mar 1994 F USA 1-0 South Korea
12 Mar 1994 F USA 1-1 South Korea
09 Dec 2001 F South Korea 1-0 USA
20 Jan 2002 GC Gp B USA 2-1 South Korea

MATCH SHORTS

South Korea finally won their first ever World Cup match at their fifteenth attempt when they beat Poland 2-0 on Tuesday.
The surprise victory for the USA over Portugal was their first win in their World Cup opener since 1930 when they beat Belgium 3-0. That year, they reached the semi-finals.
The last time the USA had scored three goals in a World Cup match was against Paraguay in a 3-0 victory in July 1930.
These teams have met in six previous matches and South Korea have the upper hand with three wins to two.
Three players have already received a yellow card at this World Cup - Doo-Ri Cha and Ji-Sung Park are the Koreans while the only American on a yellow card is DaMarcus Beasley.
Doo-Ri Cha's appearance against Poland meant that he and his father Bum-Kun Cha became the ninth father-son pair to have played at World Cups. His father represented South Korea in 1986.
Myung-Bo Hong is one of an elite group of players to play at four World Cups. He is the first Korean to do so.
By playing against Poland, Myung-Bo Hong also became the first Korean to play in ten World Cup matches. He has played in every one of South Korea's games in the four World Cups he has been involved in.
Sun-Hong Hwang reached fifty international goals with the opener against Poland. Only fifteen other players have managed this in international football.
Two American players can reach their century of international caps in this match. Striker Joe-Max Moore is the most likely as the other is third choice goalkeeper Tony Meola.
DaMarcus Beasley and Landon Donovan became the youngest and second youngest players to represent the USA at a World Cup. The man they beat was James Brown who set the record in the first ever World Cup match involving the USA, against Belgium in 1930.
Cobi Jones and Earnest Stewart can both equal the American record for most matches played at a World Cup. If they play against South Korea, it will be the ninth match for both and they will join Tab Ramos on this figure.
South Korea have only won four of their fifteen matches in 2002 - those victories were against Finland, Costa Rica, Scotland and Poland. All were by at least two goals.
The USA have rarely drawn matches this year. Their only one was a goalless draw with Canada at the Gold Cup. Otherwise, they have won ten and lost just four of their fifteen games. All four defeats have come against European teams.
The last time an American team kept a clean sheet in a World Cup match was their famous 1-0 defeat of England in 1950. They have played twelve World Cup matches since then.The United States have now gone eight competitive matches without defeat. Their last reverse was against Costa Rica in qualification for the World Cup.
Myung-Bo Hong is the only South Korean to score more than a single goal in a World Cup tournament.
The only American player to score more than one goal at a World Cup tournament was Bert Patenaude, the scorer of the first ever World Cup hat-trick. He ended the 1930 tournament with four goals.

P

Phil Turcotte

Well, for someone who doesnt make soccer plays during the year, I'm having a fun and profitable World Cup. Except for the lack of sleep I've had...

This game is going to be a great, fast, attacking type game, and both teams are in terrific shape. I think however that someone like Cobi Jones could make a big difference here. I think the US team has a big advantage in its bench, and in a game where so much else is close, look for guys like this to make the difference.

Playing:

5 units on the USA +225
Small play on the draw +200

Good luck to everyone!

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Monarch

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
London
I think this should be a great game. Both teams will be full of confidence after their impressive opening games. I just think that South Korea with home field advantage and a full stadium of mad supporters will have the edge. The USA were a big suprise to me against Portugal and hope they can progress to the next rd. This is a tough one to call so I think I'll just try and enjoy the action. Would lean towards SK though at +110.

P

Phil Turcotte

Good win on the first half of the Lakers game.

Adding 3 units to USA +225

KsYaS

Soy Puro Cabron
Forum Member
Jan 8, 2002
M?xico
- South Korea +100

home advantage will be the "X" factor (to me)!!!

good luck

Javier :D

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

KsYaS

Soy Puro Cabron
Forum Member
Jan 8, 2002
M?xico
I will go back with my play, no play on USA/SK game to me!!

I think SK can win because they are at home, but USA can go and do a huge game!!! and I want CONCACAF continue being the undefeated!!! hehehe

Go North and CEntral America!!! something of regionalism!!

good Luck

Gorki

Forum Member
Mar 26, 2001
Javier,
enjoy while last, 'cause none of your teams'll see 2nd round.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Monarch

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
London
Looks like the Yanks have just gotta turn up, then rd 2 here they come :D.

Javier, are Mexico going to knock Italy out? As for regionalism, I'm sticking to Island nations only ;).

Last edited:

KsYaS

Soy Puro Cabron
Forum Member
Jan 8, 2002
M?xico
Monarch, I am waiting to some comments of the press Mexican and Italian to say something; this game really scares me but I am seeing two ways:

1.- To me, Ecuador can't go home without a point, they are good, just need more midfield order and relax.

2.- Two really key players are injured in Italy, and like all we knows is Italy strongest game is defense, and is a little weak trying to put a patch on the empties places!

See you later Monarch, this world cup is a gold mine to me (15-4 Record), and a pleasure to see my Mexico playing dominant, the key is midfield, recovering, and two very good goals Vs Ecuador; the Croatia game was a joke they were so lucky!!

good luck and later