Spatchcock Chicken

comfortable1

Useful
Forum Member
Nov 13, 2009
Got this recipe from the SmittenKitchen cookbook. She also has a kickass website with tons of recipes accompanied by lots of great pix. This one is super easy, delicious and easily customized. You also get to say 'spatchcock'.

1 whole 2-4lb chicken
salt and pepper

1. Preheat oven to 450.
  2. Cut the backbone out of the chicken (kitchen shears or big ass scissors work best)
  3. Season entire bird generously with salt and pepper
  4. Lay flat (breast side up) in cast iron skillet. Don't hesitate to press down with enough force to crack some bones
  5. Roast for about 45min (closer to an hour for a bigger bird)

That's it. You can add whatever you want to the skillet... sliced lemon, root veggies, herbs and seasoning. You can do this with a brined or marinated bird no prob.

I've made this many times. Here's a representative pic from the internets:
spatchcocked_chicken_mint_garlic.jpg

The pictured variation sounds awesome BTW... marinated with mint, lemon and garlic. LINK

Muccalto

Registered
Forum Member
Mar 25, 2015
Amazing recipe, really loved the simpleness of it, I try a very similar recipe with a little difference. But I will surely compare it with mine to see which one is best.

ChrryBlstr

Forum Member
Feb 11, 2002
Hoosier country
comfortable1

Thanks for this recipe. I've now made it a few times and it always turns out great - surprising because it's so simple! The veggies caramelize nicely and are equally delish. I also serve it with rotisserie chicken dipping sauce (Swiss Chalet) to put it over the top!

Peace! :)

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Sportsaholic

Jack's Mentor
Forum Member
Jan 18, 2000
Crustacean Nation
Made this last night....Olive Oil & Lemon Juice in the bottom of the skillet, spray butter on the bird with a heavy shake of salt/pepper/Old Bay....came out awesome!!!!

:0008

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg