Spectrum Fighting With Disney

Smitty

Forum Member
Jan 5, 2005
Upstate NY
yeah, was super excited when i realized i couldn't watch florida/utah last night. apparently their over-the-air games are no longer available on espn+, so couldn't stream it either. this shit had better get resolved quickly.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

yyz

Under .500
Forum Member
Mar 16, 2000
On the course!
yeah, was super excited when i realized i couldn't watch florida/utah last night. apparently their over-the-air games are no longer available on espn+, so couldn't stream it either. this shit had better get resolved quickly.
I'm pretty sure it's not a fluke that this happened right at the start of football......

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Smitty

Forum Member
Jan 5, 2005
Upstate NY
I'm pretty sure it's not a fluke that this happened right at the start of football......
oh hell no. not just all the espn's, but also SEC, ACC... not sure which others are espn-owned... but i'd say around 90% of the college games worth watching are on those networks. and that's probably low.

this is going to be a shocking statement... but i feel confident in it... money is ruining college sports. espn (and the other networks) vastly overpay for the broadcasting rights... and then they need to jack up their rates to cover it. don't even get me started on all the asinine conference realignment. fucking greed, greed, greed.

Reactions: redsfann
MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Smitty

Forum Member
Jan 5, 2005
Upstate NY
i wonder how the advertisers that paid espn lots of money feel about this. suddenly their ads are being seen by millions fewer people.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Smitty

Forum Member
Jan 5, 2005
Upstate NY
from what i've read, it depends on who owns your local abc station. i think in some markets, the abc station is caught up in this.

RBD

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 23, 2020
And the dispute is settled right before MNF. This means Spectrum users can expect another rate increase in the near future. (No matter, there'd be a rate increase even if it wasn't settled, that's Spectrum.)

Gotta love the statement Spectrum put out, telling pissed off customers to call Disney to complain because Disney's packaging "will force you to take and pay for channels you may not want "
See it?
Spectrum is condemning Disney for forcing you to take and pay for channels you may not want.
Wow.

yyz

Under .500
Forum Member
Mar 16, 2000
On the course!
And the dispute is settled right before MNF. This means Spectrum users can expect another rate increase in the near future. (No matter, there'd be a rate increase even if it wasn't settled, that's Spectrum.)

Gotta love the statement Spectrum put out, telling pissed off customers to call Disney to complain because Disney's packaging "will force you to take and pay for channels you may not want "
See it?
Spectrum is condemning Disney for forcing you to take and pay for channels you may not want.
Wow.

Well, they took advantage of the fact that certain Americans condemn Disney, now. Makes it easy to point that finger.

Smitty

Forum Member
Jan 5, 2005
Upstate NY
See it?
Wow.
while both companies absolutely suck, this part is true. it's the content providers that force the cable companies to carry certain channels. "you want these channels that your customers actually watch? well then, you also gotta carry these other channels that we own that maybe only 18 people watch." the content providers are preventing the "a la carte" options because they know lots of their channels would fail under that model.

i love all the cord-cutters who talk about how cable sucks. as soon as the streaming services have enough of a monopoly, they are going to suck just as much. they're already constantly jacking their prices up, just like cable.

and watching sports on streaming SUUUUUUCKS compared to cable. rewinding... ff'ing... switching between multiple games on a saturday... cable is way better.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

rocky mountain

Forum Member
Sep 24, 2005
while both companies absolutely suck, this part is true. it's the content providers that force the cable companies to carry certain channels. "you want these channels that your customers actually watch? well then, you also gotta carry these other channels that we own that maybe only 18 people watch." the content providers are preventing the "a la carte" options because they know lots of their channels would fail under that model.

i love all the cord-cutters who talk about how cable sucks. as soon as the streaming services have enough of a monopoly, they are going to suck just as much. they're already constantly jacking their prices up, just like cable.

and watching sports on streaming SUUUUUUCKS compared to cable. rewinding... ff'ing... switching between multiple games on a saturday... cable is way better.
You just provided a supply demand US style economics lesson! BTW, AI is also horseshit. Already dealing with the downgrade in customer service. The elites market AI as world changing because they are piled in the 5 stocks, and kill jobs and save labor cost. Remember 5G ...now it's AI , and we will lose jobs and get shittier customer service etc.

HappyJack

Registered
Forum Member
Jul 3, 2022

Good for you! I'm glad you're happy paying in 2 months what you could be paying yearly.

Bet on MyBookie