MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Rowdy

Forum Member
Feb 8, 2001
Stanford braces for challenge
USC is first to take shot at unbeaten and top-ranked Cardinal

By Glenn Reeves, STAFF WRITER
Oakland Tribune

Stanford will take the court tonight against USC an unprecedented 21-0 and ranked No.1. Try as it might to go about work as usual, there's no getting around the central fact that no Stanford team has achieved what this one has.

"There's no downplaying 21-0," Josh Childress said.

The Cardinal's 21st win last Saturday at Cal broke the school record for consecutive wins held by the 2000-2001 team, which got off to a 20-0 start and was also the last Stanford team to be ranked No.1.

The 2000-01 team, which set a school record for wins in a season with a 31-3 finish, started three current NBA players (Jason Collins, Jarron Collins and Casey Jacobsen) and had another first-round draft choice (Curtis Borchardt) coming off the bench.

"People expected more from that team," said senior center Joe Kirchofer, a redshirt freshman then. "But we know we're capable, and that's what matters, what the guys who play think."

That team three years ago knew how to stuff a stat sheet. The 2000-01 team won 15 games by 20 or more points, beating its opponents by an average of 17.7 points per game, second in the nation. It led the nation in shooting percentage at 51.1 percent and was second in 3-point shooting at 42.9 percent.

The current team doesn't compare statistically, except in the win column. There are other differences, as well.

"We all hang out a little more together," Kirchofer said. "The guys might be a little closer, spend more time together. It's a more fun locker room, all 15 guys joking."

Jacobsen was a first-team All-American that season. The current team won't have any player earn that honor because it is so balanced. Five players average between 10.4 and 12.9 points per game.

"This group has really bought into playing as a team," coach Mike Montgomery said. "It's an unselfish group. Nobody cares who scores or who gets the credit. We don't rely on any one person."

Stanford (12-0 Pac-10) will play only two more games at Maples Pavilion, next weekend against the Oregon schools. The challenges to its undefeated record and No.1 ranking begin tonight with a 7:30 game in Los Angeles at the Sports Arena against USC.

"We are excited to play the No.1 team in the country," USC coach Henry Bibby said. "We need to play fearless basketball. We need to play tough defense, get some easy baskets and limit their runs."

The Trojans (10-12, 5-8) gave the Cardinal a tough game in the first meeting, a 77-67 Stanford win Jan.24 at Maples. It was an extremely physical game with the Trojans seemingly contesting every pass.

"Just keeping our poise," Montgomery said when asked what the key will be in tonight's game. "SC has always been troublesome for us. They do a lot of different things. Henry is probably in his basement right now like a mad scientist cooking up new schemes. It's hard to simulate their quickness in practice. You go to make a pass, and they close the distance real quick."

USC has beat Stanford in four of the last seven meetings, including each of the last two Pac-10 tournaments.

"Every time we play them they're ranked high, and the atmosphere is great," Bibby said. "Our kids take their play to the next level."

Stanford concludes its L.A. trip with a game at UCLA on Saturday at 1 p.m. Wins in both games would clinch the Pac-10 championship for the Cardinal.

"We've got to seal this thing off and win the Pac-10 championship," junior center Rob Little said. "It won't be easy. We know USC will be tough at home and that UCLA is tired of us beating them at Pauley Pavilion."

Montgomery is looking forward to the trip with additional interest. He will stay in Los Angeles after the team leaves so he can watch his son, John, play basketball for Loyola Marymount on Saturday night.

Rowdy

Forum Member
Feb 8, 2001
STANFORD NOTEBOOK
Trojans pose special problem
Montgomery wary of Bibby's ability to create difficult matchups

Jorge L. Ortiz, Chronicle Staff Writer
Wednesday, February 18, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They languish in eighth place in the Pac-10, have no idea whom to start at point guard and had to go to overtime with cellar-dweller Arizona State to avoid a four-game skid.

And yet the USC Trojans pose a genuine threat to Stanford's undefeated status.

Perhaps no conference team presents a more difficult matchup for the Cardinal than USC, which eagerly awaits Stanford's visit on Thursday.

The Trojans (10-12, 5-8) are quick, explosive and physical, and they have one of the Pac-10's most dangerous scorers in Desmon Farmer. They play high- pressure defense and seemingly get their larcenous hands on every other pass, plus they tend to zig when an opponent expects them to zag. Coach Henry Bibby loves to try to cross up the opposition.

"I think Henry is probably in his basement right now; he's like a mad scientist, dreaming something up,'' Stanford coach Mike Montgomery said. "They do a ton of different things. They're pretty good at creating mismatches. They hurt us in the post last time.''

When USC played at Maples Pavilion on Jan. 24, the visitors took a halftime lead -- only the second one Stanford had yielded all season -- and stayed closed before finally falling 77-67.

With the Cardinal now wearing the mantle of the nation's top-ranked team, the Trojans will be awaiting at their catacombs of a building -- the antiquated L.A. Sports Arena -- hoping to salvage their fading season by beating Stanford.

"I think it's a motivating factor when you play a team in the top 10,'' Bibby said. "It creates a lot of energy and excitement for your guys. Every time we play them the atmosphere is great and the kids get excited about that. They take their level of play to another notch.''

Behind the scenes: Tim Morris joins his teammates for most of the grind that goes into putting together a memorable season such as this one -- the daily practices, workouts with weights, much of the travel.

But when it comes to the fun stuff -- the actual games -- he has to watch in sweats, secure in the knowledge he won't be getting in no matter how lopsided the score.

The freshman guard is redshirting, a decision that becomes easier to accept with every passing game. He has had a few pangs, but contents himself with enjoying the experience and participating as fully as he can.

"The games are just a fraction of what we really go through,'' he said. "Our practices, our time together, the hard work we go through, I'm completely part of all that. So I feel a big part of the whole thing.''

Morris and football players Evan Moore and Mark Bradford round out a practice squad that tries to get the rotation players ready for the games.

"They're pretty athletic, and we've challenged them to make us better,'' Montgomery said. "When they do that, that gets us to play harder in practice. The quality of your practice makes a huge difference in how you compete.''

Aches and pains: While Nick Robinson nurses his sprained ankle, Matt Haryasz is trying to strengthen his own. Haryasz sat out two games with the injury before returning to action Saturday against Cal. He wasn't quite his old self.

"I was telling my dad on the phone that when I go to jump-shoot, it almost feels like my right side lags a little bit,'' Haryasz said. "It's like jumping off a ladder.''

Both forwards are expected to play Thursday.

Rowdy

Forum Member
Feb 8, 2001
New No. 1
Stanford on top of heap after Duke's defeat

Jorge L. Ortiz, Chronicle Staff Writer
Tuesday, February 17, 2004

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

chart attached

Undefeated Stanford already had become a target before ascending to the highest spot in the rankings. All the new developments mean is the target will have a No. 1 right in the middle of it.

That was the consensus among the Cardinal on Monday after learning they had moved up a notch to displace Duke -- which lost Sunday night -- at the top of the media and coaches' polls.

Though pleased with the recognition that now accompanies their 21-0 season, players reacted mostly with subdued enthusiasm about the No. 1 ranking, Stanford's first since the week of March 5, 2001.

The Cardinal received 64 of the 72 first-place votes from a national media panel in the AP vote -- No. 2 Saint Joseph's got the other eight -- and they collected 26 of 31 in the coaches' balloting conducted by ESPN/USA Today. Fellow undefeated St. Joe's was No. 2 in that poll as well, with Duke dropping to No. 3 in both.

"It's more or less a formality by now,'' center Rob Little said of the ranking. "How many teams go 21-0 without being No. 1 at least once? We think we've earned it, but at the same time, it doesn't change anything.''

Perhaps not for the Cardinal, who at 12-0 in the Pac-10 need only two wins in the last six games to clinch the conference title. But could it provide further motivation for the opposition?

Maybe, though it's hard to imagine crowds getting more revved than Cal's on Saturday -- especially when the Bears made a move late in the first half -- or Oregon's in the Jan. 31 game at McArthur Court. Both times Stanford overcame the hostility to preserve its perfect season.

"I feel like almost every team we're playing is looking at us like, 'If we beat them, we have a chance to make the (NCAA) Tournament. If we don't, we might not,' '' fifth-year senior Joe Kirchofer said. "I don't think the target can get any bigger the rest of the Pac-10 season.''

Stanford made its first-ever appearance in the No. 1 spot on Dec. 20, 1999, was top-ranked five weeks, but got bounced from the NCAA Tournament in the second round.

The next season, the Cardinal started 20-0 -- a school record for consecutive wins broken Saturday by the current squad -- and spent seven weeks atop the rankings. That club made it to the Elite Eight in the NCAAs.

Unlike Kirchofer, junior Josh Childress wasn't on The Farm then, which might explain his willingness to express some excitement over a distinction coach Mike Montgomery publicly downplays.

"You're No. 1. That's the only way to describe it,'' Childress said with a smile. "There's only so much you can downplay it.''

Early this season, the top ranking seemed more curse than blessing, as the No. 1 team lost on three consecutive weeks, first UConn, then Kansas (to Stanford), then Florida.

As of late, however, UConn (five straight weeks) and Duke (four) had held steady at the summit, until Monday.

"Kids deserve it, they've earned it,'' Montgomery said after his usual grumbling about the topic. "It's not significantly different (from No. 2). It's one spot. It's a number.''

Briefly: Junior forward Nick Robinson sat out Monday's practice with a sprained ankle. He sustained the injury during Saturday's shootaround, but still did a standout defensive job in the second half on Amit Tamir, holding him to two points after Tamir had scored 12 in the opening half.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Rowdy

Forum Member
Feb 8, 2001
Home Dogs have been hot... I'm looking to fade that tonight

Stanford -8
I like the fact that the steam is coming in on USC. Will wait to see if I can get better line Farmer nursing sore wrist. Stanford solidifies their #1 ranking

AZ -3

Cats dropped last two on the road. Look for them to win this track meet

Ga Tech +3
Not a home dog but I think they bounce back here

Master Capper

Emperior
Forum Member
Jan 12, 2002
Dunedin, Florida
nice night, I was looking at So Cal until I read some of the info that you posted and at halftime I was kicking myself, but as one article inferred they are too erratic and the 2nd half showed that to be true, thanks for saving me some jack.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg