Stanley Cup Finals, part III

EXTRAPOLATER

Forum Member
Feb 22, 2001
Toronto
After seeing the money line I'm not so excited about this game. -185 for the Devils is a bit too high. Sure, they should have the edge, but they're certainly not a lock (not that -185 is a "lock," -185 means better than 65% for value).

I figure that the Av's will have to play a little more carefully, especially on the defensive end. Not that the Devils scored a ton of goals, but after getting the lead they didn't need to. I think that the Av's may be careful not to let the Devils score first, and if the Devils do score first, the Av's will be super-careful not to fall behind 2-0, which would probably kill them here.

I can see Roy allowing 2-4, tops, and Brodeur allowing 1-3.
With a total of 5, this extrapolation, for what it's worth, leaves
...under 3/9, or 33.3%
...over 3/9, or 33.3%
...push 3/9, or 33.3%

These semi-arbitrary numbers means that the Devils win maybe 6/9, or 66.6% of the time, which makes the -185 a mini-value.
Of course, a 2-2 tie actually lowers the under % and raises the push %, because of overtime. A regulation tie at 2-2 or 3-3 also slightly lowers the 66.6% on the devils win that I mentioned above, as in OT it's pretty much up for grabs.

This really screws up my initial thoughts on the game -- the under, in particular -- as a -135 under looks like an iffy play. The over, at even $ now looks tempting.

So why am I still tempted by the under?
Is the devil involved in this "temptation" thing?
I suppose that I'm forecasting something goofy like no scoring in the first, a couple of goals in, or by, the end of the second period (with the Devils up or tied), and a carefully played third.
Talk about going out on a limb!
Somebody slap me!
Hellllllpppppppp!!!!

EXTRAPOLATER

Forum Member
Feb 22, 2001
Toronto
Crap...I still like the under.
What am I missing here?

Am I insane to suggest that Roy might allow 4 goals? (never mind the empty-netter at 3-2)

If I am, then NJ scoring, say 1-3, and
the Av's still scoring 1-3 leaves
under 5/9, or 55.5%
over 1/9, or 11%
push 3/9, or 33.3% (this includes 2-2)

I still don't get the 57% needed to play the under at -135, although the loss now only comes in 11% of the time.
Still, who plays "not to lose,"
I'm looking for a possible win.
Still searching...
...still...helllppppp!

Ice Picks

Forum Member
Dec 26, 2000
Richmond, VA
X-MAN

As they say in golf, too much analysis leads to paralysis...
smile.gif

Keep it simple. First game Devils had a bad defensive game, allowing 5 goals, and the Avs do not typically score 5.

The second game the Devils played much better defense and allowed only 1 goal.

I see them playing a similar game tonight, and if the Avs get 20 shots total I will be surprized.

EXTRAPOLATER

Forum Member
Feb 22, 2001
Toronto
That's probably why I think that there is a good chance for the under -- that, combined with the fact that Roy has been very poised in these playoffs; not that the Av's are slouches defensively, either.

Mega-analysis can be beneficial, if it has mega-information to go with it. I have some more info, now, and I'm going to check it out on the ride to work to see if this game is worth playing, side or total.

My earlier analysis, or what I posted here, is garbage because the numbers don't even include the possibility of a shutout by Roy or Brodeur, never mind a higher-scoring affair, with one team bagging 4 or 5.

I will post my further paralysis later, if I remain out of the hospital.

katts

Forum Member
Nov 12, 2000
Quebec PQ, Canada
I don't want to write a long analysis as I don't have much time for that at the moment, but the one thing I like here is that Colorado scored a minimum of 3 goals in 6 of their 7 playoff road games, and allowed 3 or more in 4 of those, while NJ scored a minimum of 2 goals in 9 of their 10 playoff home games. The other thing I like is that NJ is 1-4 @home (edited for correction) when they score 2 or less so far in the playoffs.

I think you have a good hedge play here:

Colorado PICK +170
and (but not in a parlay)
OVER 5.0 +120

Good luck tonight Extrapolator, whatever you decide to play (or not to play).

[This message has been edited by katts (edited 05-31-2001).]

EXTRAPOLATER

Forum Member
Feb 22, 2001
Toronto
I've done more (yes...more) analysis on this game and have discovered value in only one play (according to my bizarre calculations).

That play is Colorado +1.5 -215.
-215 needs 69% to have value, and I have this play coming in almost 74% of the time.

For what it's worth (not much, probably) I have a Devils win 43.7% of the time,
a 'Lanche win at 37.5%,
and a regulation tie at 18.8%.
If I split the 18.8, say in half (Colorado has been strong in OT, so I'll give them the 50-50 on the road) then I get
Devils win 53.2%
Avalanche win 46.8%.

Wait a sec...
my calculator must have @##@$% me before...
at +165, for Colorado, I need better than 38%, which I obviously get at 46.8.
The Devils, at -185, I need better than 65%, which I obviously don't get.
The Devils, at -1.5 +180, I calculated at 26.2% of the time, but I need 36% or better to have value, so scrap that.
Like I said, the NOT Jersey by 2 I get at 73.8, and need 69% to have value.
The +165 looks like the better play, now that I re-wrack my brains over it.

This totally goes against my initial hunch
(I'll test what works better...not that one example will be conclusive..."hunch" or "extrapolating").

To make a long story short...I see little value in the total,
over (30.6%, need 46% at +120)
or
under (45.3%, need 59% at -140)
at the total of 5 (24.1% push).

I'm gonna keep this small, in fact, I need to think about this some more, but it looks like the Av's for me tonight.
I'll be back with confirmation of the play, if I make it, for the purposes of Tiger's day in review, if nothing else.

Should be a good game.

katts

Forum Member
Nov 12, 2000
Quebec PQ, Canada
According to your numbers...

Avalanche PICK:
.468 * 1.65 - .532 = 0.24

Avalanche +1.5:
(.74 - 2.15 * .26) / 2.15 = 0.084

...and here, even if I don't divide by 2.15 you get 0.18 which is still lower than 0.24

It's up to you, but it seems like the r/r% is much better if you simply PICK Colorado... Another good example of why it is so bad to lay that kind of money (-210), no matter how safe it is.

BTW I also have some weird numbers - compared with the lines we get anyway:

Colorado 44.5% and UNDER 5.0 50.5% (after eliminating the pushes possibilities)

Colorado down to +150 really worths a shot IMHO.

EXTRAPOLATER

Forum Member
Feb 22, 2001
Toronto
Agreed, katts...
like I said in my last post, the +165 for the straight play on Colorado looks a bit better than the +1.5 at -215.

I'll play the Avs for some small coin tonight. I'm going to wait another 1/2 hr or hour before I put the play in, hoping to get +170 (my book has +165 right now)...
I figure if it moves at all, it will move because of the public being on the Devils.
Maybe, maybe not.

Av's small at +165 (maybe +170).

Ice Picks

Forum Member
Dec 26, 2000
Richmond, VA
WOW !! I fried my brain trying to understand all that math
smile.gif

UNDER 5 !!!!!! Yeah baby........

Nice call on the AVS, EXTRAP. I took the AVS +1.5 for the third straight game - now 3-0 !!

We will have to do this again SAT
smile.gif

Bet on MyBookie