• Thread starter Investment Executive
  • Start date
I

Investment Executive

Turco following his own tough act
STARS NOTES

By JEFF CAPLAN
Star-Telegram Staff Writer

IRVING - Stars backup goalie Marty Turco discarded a slow start last season to finish with the league's top goals-against average and save percentage, having played one more game than the required 25 to qualify for the rankings.

Turco posted a 13-6-1 record with a 1.90 goals-against average and a .925 save percentage.

"I probably should have thought about it a little better," Turco said jokingly. "How do you follow that up?"

With expectations high for a player being called the future netminder of the Stars, Turco will make his season debut tonight against the Vancouver Canucks at American Airlines Center in Dallas. The start comes more than six months after his last regular-season start on April 2, a 4-4 tie against Calgary. Turco played just one full game during the exhibition season.

"It's been awhile and it doesn't really matter who we're playing to me. I am just going to get out there and try to get comfortable because it's been so long and there's a certain degree of uncertainty," Turco said. "As good as I feel out in practice, it's still not the same."

Stars coach Ken Hitchcock is balancing a delicate situation because he wants to work Turco into more games while keeping Ed Belfour on a regular schedule. Belfour is also competing for a spot on Team Canada. Hitchcock wanted to give Turco his first start on home ice, and said he didn't think Turco's long layoff would be problematic.

"Marty is a natural athlete," Hitchcock said. "He'll rise to the occasion."

Modano pointless

Mike Modano has yet to record a point in three games, but that hardly means that he's been pushed out of the game. Just the opposite. The strong two-way center logged about 23 minutes the past two games defending the opposition's top line and playing on a penalty- killing unit that has yet to surrender a goal on 16 tries.

After the Stars' 2-1 victory against Los Angeles, Kings coach Andy Murray echoed what Hitchcock often emphasizes.

"Mike Modano, right now he could be the MVP of the league," said Murray, who was then informed that Modano had yet to score a point. "It doesn't matter, he's still the best player on the ice. That's a compliment to Mike that he could be the best player on the ice and not get a point."

Lines fluctuating

The Stars will feature another lineup alteration tonight. Left wing Benoit Hogue and right wing Donald Audette will play. Niko Kapanen will also remain in the lineup for now, most likely at center because Pierre Turgeon will start the game at left wing on the top line.

Ken Hitchcock said he has not decided who will sit. The candidates are left wings Valeri Kamensky and Kirk Muller, although Hitchcock has been pleased with Muller's play on the fourth line. Hitchcock said of Kamensky's early play: "He's in a group of people we need more from and we expect more from."

Briefly

The deep cut Derian Hatcher suffered above his right eyebrow when Ed Belfour's skate accidentally slashed him Tuesday night required 18 stitches, including three under the skin. Hatcher returned to the game and practiced Wednesday. He said he feels fine.

Bet on MyBookie