Stealing wifi

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

jhawksoon

Forum Member
May 1, 2005
The Heartland
Just moved into an apartment that doesn't have cable internet access. Instead of paying for the inflated DSL plus the phone line my buddy talked me into stealing someone else's wireless signal. Everything seems to be allright except I have a "very low" signal. Is there anyone else out there doing this that can tell me how to boost the signal. I have a Linksys Wireless G Network Card with Speedbooster. The speed is usually at 11 Mbps but after a cable modem I can definitely notice a dropoff. Any help would be appreciated.

vinnie

la vita ? buona
Forum Member
Sep 11, 2000
Here
We don't have any thief's here since worm was run off :sadwave:

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

bsucards

BSU Cards
Forum Member
Sep 1, 2003
New Palestine Indiana
jhawksoon said:
Just moved into an apartment that doesn't have cable internet access. Instead of paying for the inflated DSL plus the phone line my buddy talked me into stealing someone else's wireless signal. Everything seems to be allright except I have a "very low" signal. Is there anyone else out there doing this that can tell me how to boost the signal. I have a Linksys Wireless G Network Card with Speedbooster. The speed is usually at 11 Mbps but after a cable modem I can definitely notice a dropoff. Any help would be appreciated.

If your only see 11 Mbps, then you have someone that only has a Wireless B router/access point, so your G card won't do you much good.

Sometimes you just have to find the perfect spot in the house/apartment that gives you the best strength. Check out netstumbler it shows all the access points in the area.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

kneifl

Forum Member
Jan 12, 2001
Virginia
www.tradewithjon.com
Where do you live in the Heartland?

If I lived in NYC I would never pay for internet, I don't know why I pay for it in DC I can tap right into my neighbors connection.

It might be a good idea to NOT steal it but go half and half with a neighbor, trust me this happens all the time.

kneifl

hurricanes6

Forum Member
Mar 23, 2006
no way

no way

low signal on your end is due to strength of signal from the wireless router. nothing u can do. gl.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

chuckdman

Forum Member
Sep 5, 2003
TO
hurricanes6 said:
low signal on your end is due to strength of signal from the wireless router. nothing u can do. gl.

Exactly Right. Low signal is low signal. No way to improve that unless you get closer to the access point or add another access point.

When I was in the apartment, 4 of us shared the internet costs and we all went wireless. Install a WEP/WAP key so the other cheapskates in the building can't come on for free.

bsucards

BSU Cards
Forum Member
Sep 1, 2003
New Palestine Indiana
WEP

Short for Wired Equivalent Privacy, a security protocol for wireless local area networks (WLANs) defined in the 802.11b standard. WEP is designed to provide the same level of security as that of a wired LAN

Basically it is like a password, that you need in order to connect to a wireless network

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

jhawksoon

Forum Member
May 1, 2005
The Heartland
Thanks for all of the comments. I've done some research on what I guess is called "wardriving". Seems to be going on all over the place. People are even making homemade antennas to point to the source. What I don't get is how they know where the source is. If I knew which apartment I might think about splitting it with them. Otherwise I would be going from door to door.