Stolen iPhone - what am I forgetting?

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

Chadman

Realist
Forum Member
Apr 2, 2000
SW Missouri
I'm stupid. I left my phone in my desk drawer and it disappeared today. I don't want to get into specifics, just trying to think about everything I should consider and/or worry about.

I did not have Find My iPhone set up on my devices, so I think that's out. Didn't have a password on my phone, so there's that. Stupid - yes. When I found out, I immediately went online and changed my passwords to important things to try to prevent any issues.

I called my provider, they put a block on the number, and blacklisted the phone. I'm hoping that prevents any real issues, but I'm not sure how this works. I don't think anyone can call or text, or use apps if the phone number isn't working? But they can probably view my texts, right? I changed e-mail passwords, and online passwords to prevent that from being an issue.

What am I forgetting? What do I have to worry about? SO frustrating... lost some great pics, and some contacts, but more worried about what else could happen. Thoughts?

Chadman

Realist
Forum Member
Apr 2, 2000
SW Missouri
Also - has anyone bought a refurbished iPhone from anyone or company that has worked out well? I definitely realize buyer beware, but the cost of these are so high it's tough to replace right now. My carrier is Verizon - I know that matters somewhat. Any advice is appreciated. I'll probably bite the bullet and get a new one, but if anyone has any experiences with refurbished ones - let me know.

Thanks for any info.

Trampled Underfoot

Registered
Forum Member
Feb 26, 2001
Also - has anyone bought a refurbished iPhone from anyone or company that has worked out well? I definitely realize buyer beware, but the cost of these are so high it's tough to replace right now. My carrier is Verizon - I know that matters somewhat. Any advice is appreciated. I'll probably bite the bullet and get a new one, but if anyone has any experiences with refurbished ones - let me know.

Thanks for any info.

Just remember if you buy one private party if they owe anything on the phone, the company will not turn it on.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

BleedDodgerBlue

Admin
Forum Member
Feb 12, 2004
los angeles
how close r u to an upgrade....i've been with att for 10 years or so and every two years i get a free upgrade or deeply discounted one if i want the newest iphone. also, if i need a new one and i'm a few months away from the upgrade they've waived it for me.

not sure how verizon works, but i'm sure they're similar....if u are only a few months from an upgrade, just get a banger for a few months to hold u through.

they can access your call log, voicemail, all texts, and any photos for sure.

i have my phone to set up automatic backup to the cloud each day at 2 am, so if it's ever gone the most i lose is 24 hours.....r u on the cloud? if so then maybe you can get stuff back.

your contacts are definitely gone if not backed up, and whoever has it can access them as well....

you said it was stolen instead of lost, so it doesn't sound like anyones turning it in to you soon. most people will just wipe out all data and sell to anyone on craigslist to turn a buck

sorry for your loss...been there and done that

gl

Chadman

Realist
Forum Member
Apr 2, 2000
SW Missouri
Thanks, guys. It was a kid (that's all I care to say), so unless they funnel it to someone else, maybe it was just a whim, I dunno. Great points and ideas, thanks. I'm not close to an upgrade - have just had this phone for a few months.

I did not take sensible precautions or back it up - never again. Dumbass, I know. It was in my desk, definitely not lost. Gone in a definite period of time, checked before and after - it was just missing.

JOSHNAUDI

That Guy
Forum Member
Dec 12, 2000
Seguin, TX
www.schwartz-associates.com
Sorry man, what a pain - http://ipod.about.com/od/iphonetroubleshooting/tp/What-To-Do-When-Iphone-Is-Stolen.htm

When you discover that your iPhone has been stolen, dozens of thoughts race through your head all at once. Anger, worry, surprise are all likely to pop up. Once they pass, though, there are some steps you should take. While there's no guarantee that these steps will get your iPhone back, they won't hurt and will succeed in some cases. Good luck.

1. File a Police Report

image copyright City of Providence
File a report with the police in the city where the phone was stolen. This may or may not directly lead to the recovery of your phone, but having documentation of the theft may help in dealing with cell phone and insurance companies and, if you can get data about the location of your phone, having the police report on file may be necessary for getting the police to help you recover it.

2. Notify Your Employer

If your iPhone was issued to you through work, notify your employer of the theft immediately. In that situation, you may even want to do this prior to filing the police report, since your corporate IT department may be able to prevent the thief from accessing critical business information. Your employer may have given you guidelines about what to do in case of theft when they issued the phone to you. It's a good idea to brush up on them.

3. Change Your Passwords

Don't let the thief gain access to other accounts whose passwords may be saved on your iPhone. Changing your email account passwords will prevent the thief from sending mail from your phone. Additionally, changing online banking, iTunes, and other important account passwords will prevent identity theft or financial theft.

4. Call Your Cell Phone Company
Making this the fourth step in the process, or an earlier one, will depend on your circumstances. Some cell phone company representatives may be more inclined to take action when you've got a police report, others may act right away without one. Calling your cell phone company to report the theft and have the account tied to the phone suspended or canceled will help ensure that you're not stuck paying for charges incurred by the thief.

5. Track the iPhone

There are a number of ways to use the iPhone's built-in GPS to track a stolen iPhone. Apple's free Find My iPhone service (the link above takes you to more information about it) and many third-party apps from the App Store will help you locate the phone geographically. Getting this data can be crucial for recovering the phone. Some of these apps, including Find My iPhone, also allow you to remotely change security settings (more on this below).

6. Don't Try to Recover It Yourself - Get Police Help

If you've been able to locate your stolen iPhone via a GPS-based tracking app, don't try to recover it yourself. Going to the house of the person who stole your phone is a certain recipe for trouble. Instead, contact the police department you filed the report with, make sure to have your report information at hand, and let them know that you've got additional information about the location of the stolen phone. The police ought to be willing to recover the phone for you.

7. Delete Data

If you can't get the stolen iPhone back, or it's taking too long, you may want to delete the phone's data. You can do this over the web using MobileMe or some of the other tracking apps. This won't prevent the thief from using your iPhone, but at least they won't have access to your personal data after that.

If your iPhone was issued to you by your employer, your IT department may be able to remotely delete the data, too. Contact them to learn about your options.

8. Call iPhone Insurance Company, If You Have One

If you're using a third-party insurance company to protect your iPhone, and your policy covers theft, be sure to call the company. Having a police report will be a big help here. If you can recover the phone with the help of the police all the better, but reporting the situation to the insurance company will get the ball rolling in the meantime and help you replace your phone if you can't recover it.

9. Notify People

If your phone's gone and you weren't able to track it via GPS and/or delete its data, you're probably not going to get it back. In that case, you should notify the people in your address book and email accounts of the theft. They probably won't be getting calls or emails from the thief, but in case the thief has a bad sense of humor, you'll want people to know that it's not you sending them troublemaking emails.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

marine

poker brat
Forum Member
Jul 13, 1999
Fort Worth, TX
your pics might be stored in photostream on the cloud. try putting the icloud on another computer and logging in and see if it shows.