Sunday/Monday Cricket

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

hoss

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
England
On the face of it 4 uncompetitive games over the next 2 days - as I said in the previous thread the teams have very much cottoned on to the idea that run-rate will be critical, not only because of the tie-breaker situation, but also as the weather messes a couple of other games up. The net result of this will mean that the 'big' teams will bat second - stick 'em in, stuff 'em out + knock 'em off tactics. South Africa did this again in the match vs Bangladesh, Sri Lanka did it to Canada.

I also reckon that the smaller teams will be happy to bat first ( Bangladesh said they would've today) - if only to keep their opposition happy ( remember these minnows need all the friends they can get to get decent quality fixtures + therefore development, recognition + funding).

Bet 1 is therefore (I know this may sound silly) 4pts West Indies to field first 20/21 (Uk Betting, Totalbet) - they will DEFINITELY bat second if they win the toss ( they would've beaten Bangladesh if they did it last time - won't make same mistake twice) + that makes it 1/3 on it's own - in addition most of Canada's players are of West Indian extraction + I don't think they will jeopardise their near - neighbours (in cricketing terms!) chances of qualifying by sticking them in. Canada play in the Red Stripe cup against the Islands + who wants to bowl at Brian Lara for 50 overs anyway!!!

Also bet: 3 pts Gayle top W.Indian bat 9/4 Coral, also having 1 pt
Samuels at 12/1 P Power as its way overpriced - if he doesn't play it's cashback + they may chuck him in at 3 to get some match practice.

1pt Davidson to Canadian 6/1 Skybet - just have a feeling he's due a knock.

India v Namibia - think that Srinath could cause carnage here + again a likely scenario develops that Namibia will be bowled out cheaply + very few Indians will get a go - Sehwag should get a bat as he needs to find some form quickly (if only for my antepost bet :eek: ) - 2pts 2/1 Coral

For top Namibian - Dan Keulder is different class - his average is well above his team mates + he's top scored in 4 of their last 10 matches - 5/1 with Paddy Power looks very fair - 3pts. :)

Sri Lanka v Kenya - again Kenya bat first (I hope) - Attapattu will do again for top Sri Lankan at 5/2 Stan James - 3pts - even if they do bat first he's patient enough to build a decent innings.

Ravi Shah has been in good nick for the Kenyans and is worth 2pts at 5/1 with Skybet.

Australia v Zimbabwe - nothing stands out at present - like to know what team the Aussies will play, but as it stands Ponting is probably overpriced at 4/1 with Skybet - but I'll think about that one for now.

Bal so far +24pts

good luck
hoss:cool:

Last edited:

hoss

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
England
:canada1 :canada1 :clap:

I hope some of you get to see some highlights the Canada v West Indies match - it was fantastic! Apart from West Indies putting Canada in as expected (;) ), Davison batted like a baseball player, clubbing the ball all over the place + scoring the fastest Century in World Cup history. He was eventually out for 111 to one of the best catches you'll ever see. At one point the West Indies looked in real trouble until Davison was out + then Canada feel to pieces. Lara and Hinds then proceeded to welly the ball to all parts of the ground. Great viewing + really pleased for Canada to have been part of it. :D

On the punting front apart from the 'field first' bet - Davison was a 6/1 winner - Sehwag + Gayle both had great opportunites to get a big score, but they blew it while everyone else filled their boots. :mad:
Keulder only needed to get 30 to top score, below his average but messed up too. Samuels bet was void.

A 2 pt profit on day,
bal now +26pts
:cool:

Will add for tomorrow 2pts Ponting 4/1(top Australian) and 2pts Grant Flower( top Zimbabwean) 9/2 both with Skybet + a 1/2pt trixie (doubles + treble) with Shah (top Kenyan) 5/1

british bulldog

Forum Member
Sep 5, 2002
England, u.k.
A great post Hoss, accurate and informative. I came to the same sceinero with the better teams sticking in the minnows and this led me to sell in the ton up market on the spreads.

You deserved better luck, Gayle was unfortunate, scoring 60+ chasing a total of 201, you would over a season collect 4 out of 5 times.:thumb: :clap:

Good luck with your plays on Monday, I hope you got my message about prices and which books to look out for.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

hoss

Forum Member
Feb 24, 2002
England
:eek: Not a good day - Shah out first ball get it off to a great start - both Grant Flower + Ponting had great chances + blew them + then to cap it all I felt sure that Attapattu would collect once Jayasuriya was out + look what happened next!!:eek:

Still Sri Lanka losing to the Kenyans was a great match to watch - it's not often you see a bowler running a complete lap of the pitch after taking a wicket:D It's made a real mess of the group too.

bal now + 13pts - back later - have seen a rick or two ;)

hoss

british bulldog

Forum Member
Sep 5, 2002
England, u.k.
Your right there Hoss, Group B is a right shambles. With sri Lanka to play South Africa, the loser could well be going home. If Kenya beat Bangladesh then they are through barring accidents. The worse team to suffer from this outcome was New Zealand, and like England, by failing to compete in one match could well cost them a semi final spot.

I really want to back England to beat India on the back of the win against Pakistan. Yet as you are aware, we more often than not fail to produce two good performances back to back. I don't know what it is with India, they have all the talent in the world with their batting, they have struggled this tournament against a decent bowling attack. Am I looking at this wrong. The wickets clearly do not suit them. They have been blown away by Australia, but who isn't at the moment. They batted poorly against Holland, less than impressive against Zimbabwe. They play a bowler light. I can't see them playing two spinners against England. The only real danger they process bowling with the white ball is Khan.

The key to this is batting first, yet I still believe England can make 230 batting second. Got any thoughts? AM I REALLY LOOKING AT THIS GAME UN-OBJECTIVELY

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Pumpkin

Forum Member
May 9, 2002
Canberra, Australia
England have a great chance in this game - and this coming from an aussie!!!!

If you put their form over the last two games (not including the matches against non test playing sides) they have destroyed Pakistan and pushed Australia right to the wire in the second VB Final.

They have a solid batting order with the top three dynamic if they fire. Trescothick has been disappointing of late but he still can take apart a bowler if need be. Collingwood has given them a Bevan or Fairbrother like player if they lose early wickets and with Flintoff and White they have hitters later in the order. Caddick has stood up - finally and Anderson is a fantastic find.