Sunday: Niagara and the rest of the MAAC

MB MLB 728x90 Jpg

superbook

Forum Member
Jun 26, 2001
Saratoga Springs, NY
The home team has won 9 of L10 between these two, with Niagara covering all 3 games last year vs Iona.

Both teams played tough games Friday nite with Niagara losing to Manhattan and Iona pulling out a road win at Cansius.

Iona was behind most of the game, by double digits at the half, but they stepped it up and Canisius made a ton of TOs in the late going and the Gaels got a nice win.

Manhattan led the entire game vs Niagara; Niagara got within 2 at one point in the 2H but they just couldn't stop Flores.

On Friday night, Iona's second-leading scorer and rebounder Steve Smith dislocated his left pinkie finger. He managed to finish the first half but sat the rest of the game. He is doubtful for Sunday's game at Niagara.

I like Niagara to rebound after that loss to Manhattan, and I think Box will tell us that Niagara matches up well vs Iona.

I also like Manhattan but I predicted a few days ago that they would go 1-1 on this Buffalo road trip. I don't know how Canisius is going to beat them but because of my earlier gut feeling I'm laying off of them here.

Can L-M stay within 39 of Maryland? Probably not and I don't care.

gl

superbook

Forum Member
Jun 26, 2001
Saratoga Springs, NY
More on Iona's Smith who is doubtful for the game at Niagara:

Smith is a big reason for Iona's good play of late; he leads the Gaels in FG% at 63% and ranks #8 in the nation in that category. He has hit 28 of L35 from the field and is averaging 6.1 rpg.

He separated his left pinky in the 1H of Friday night's game and played with his hand heavily taped for the final 7 mins of the 1H but did not return for the 2H.

He had the hand x-rayed on Sat morning and is listed as doubtful for Sunday's game.

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg

Box and one

Forum Member
Feb 26, 2000
Hudson Valley area.....NY
superbook,I like Iona a lot.They are so dangerous with the young gds.Rulands recruiting class was the best in the MAAC.The McCullough kid is unreal.Just waiting for his breakout game.
They have so much speed on the floor.I think today they would have problems anyway with Smith.Purples inside players are tough and can score.Darden and Cruz are solid at the top.
Purples only real weakness is depth.
I like Niagara today and if Smith isn't playing thats even better.

I agreed with you on Manhattan losing one in the Buffalo area.But Jaspers are to quick and will control the bds.Purple had the only chance to beat them.
Jaspers win again and cover..GL

MB NCAAF 728x90 Jpg