Sunday's plays

D-Money

Forum Member
Aug 17, 2004
Powder Springs, GA
First I want to thank everyone hear for all of the great info. I've been lurking around for a few seasons and figured I might as well start posting. I'm off to a (5-2) start this season, but since it wasn't posted I keep track of posted plays only. All that said here are my two plays for Sun.

UNLV +19' (2 units)
TN against a UNLV team that should be extremely dangerous and good enough to come out of Knoxville with an upset. Led by superstar safety Jamaal Brimmer and possibly the best linebacking corps the Vols will face outside of Georgia's, this veteran UNLV D could wreak havoc on a Tennessee offense starting a true freshman at quarterback. In addition, TN's offensive tackle 6'6 350-pound Albert Toeaina (benches 550lb) will have to wait to make his much-anticipated debut because of a significantly bruised tibia on his right leg. They also start sophomore Rob Smith at left guard for the first time. With all that said, this is still UNLV -- meaning the team rarely plays up to its overall talent level. All the parts are there for the Rebels on both sides of the ball with experience, talent and athleticism, but that doesn't mean it's going to all come together. Tennessee finds ways to beat good mid-major non-conference teams at home and should have just enough talent on both sides of the ball to overcome the lack of experience. This might be a young Volunteer team, but it's very athletic. Tennessee head coach Phillip Fulmer is to go with true freshmen Brent Schaeffer and Erik Ainge at quarterback. These are two talented options for Fulmer to choose from, but they're still true freshmen playing in front of over 100,000 people against a fast, veteran UNLV defense. It's asking a lot for them to shine right away without any experienced receivers to bail them out. It's not going out on a limb to predict a UNLV win. On paper everything is there for the upset as experience usually wins out in the first game of the year. Tennessee has enough talent to overcome the holes on offense and needs its offensive line to dominate from start to finish. If that doesn't happen, the Rebels will win outright. The prediction is assuming OT Michael Munoz and the Volunteer front wall control the tempo of the game and not force the quarterbacks to have to make big plays is for the Vols to win. However, getting +19' in the first game of the season, sure sounds good to me!

Louisville -9 ( 1 unit)
With the return of 1st team all C-USA QB Stefan Leflors, ranking 5th overall 5th in the country, and primary receiver JR. Russell along with 15 other starter, this team shoud be explosive. I look for this experienced team to light up the board early and often. However UK is also returning 16 starters, 10 of which will be on defense. which the defensive unit did improve greatly from '02 to '03 by 20 YPG. However there secondary still has much room for imporovement. On the offensive side, with the loss of QB Lorenzen, Shane Boyd will take his place and this will be his 1st college start. UK will have home field advantage, but I see the cardinals just being to much to early. Louisville by 17!!

Bet on MyBookie